Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Hybrid Trunk Volume versus Avalon/Camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 01:35 PM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hybrid Trunk Volume versus Avalon/Camry

Hi all,

Lexus' website says the trunk volume for the Hybrid is 12.1 cubic feet. Toyota's website says the Avalon's trunk volume is 14 cubic feet.

Is there a reason for this difference? I ask because trunk volume matters to us, and the 12.1 cubic feet of the 300h is even less than what Toyota says the Camry hybrid has. Is the 300h's trunk really smaller than the Avalon's and the Camry's?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-15, 04:39 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Well the ES300h isn't just a rebodied Toyota Avalon, even though they share the same platform. Not only are their body shapes different, I suspect they have different suspension components, therefore this can influence the shape and size of the trunk.

2 cubic feet isn't that much difference anyways.
Old 07-20-15, 04:47 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to own a Camry, though it was not the current model. The difference is in battery placement and rear-seat space.

In the hybrid Camry, the batteries are positioned laying down, the right side of the rear seat folds forward, and there is a small pass-through from the trunk into the passenger compartment. The volume of that pass-through seems to be about a foot. I think I used it once.

The Lexus has the batteries positioned in a vertical stack, with a larger amount of level floor in the trunk. The seat does not fold down, and there is no pass-through. The trade-off seems to be seat comfort. My regular rear-seat (adult) passengers have said that the Lexus rear seats are more comfortable, and they have more legroom than they did in the Camry.

Basically, I think they moved the rear seat toward the rear in the Lexus, and positioned the batteries to leave the maximum usable trunk space. The cubic foot that was taken from the trunk, was added to the rear seat legroom.