ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Navigation or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 01:57 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Destination Assist + the factory navigation system simply cannot be beat when it comes to navigation needs.
Old 07-11-15, 03:57 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, I used destination assist on a recent trip to. NY. Fantastic. They shoot the destination right to the gps unit.
Old 07-11-15, 04:16 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Should be free...
Old 07-11-15, 04:46 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed.
Old 07-11-15, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I don't have a problem with a service like destination assist where they are paying and staffing live people to help you in a concierge service being an additional cost.
Old 07-12-15, 05:58 AM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When shopping for CPO Lexus vehicles, all I will say is when I click on one that looks to be a very low price...its always missing nav.
This is factual data. Interesting.
The other side of it is that if you dislike nav and plan to buy used then go for it and save money.
Old 07-12-15, 07:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by BrazLex
This is factual data. Interesting.
The other side of it is that if you dislike nav and plan to buy used then go for it and save money.
I know from conversations with the used car managers at a couple of Lexus dealers that it is not uncommon for them to have waiting lists of customers who are looking for a CPO or other pre-owned ES vehicles with a navigation system, and they have told me that, when they do get a used ES with a navigation system, it typically moves off of their lots very quickly. On the other other hand, they have also said that, when they get an ES without navigation, it can sit on their lots for an extended period of time until they finally make a decision either to drastically reduce the price or, in some cases, even to wholesale the vehicle.

There is no question that there is a significant difference in demand between used ES vehicles with navigation systems and those without navigation systems, and that is why, even though I'm sure that navigation systems are a high profit margin item for Lexus, navigation systems return a much higher percentage of their initial cost at re-sale or trade-in time than do most other options. Things like 18" wheels, ML audio systems, remote starters, etc. will return very little of their initial cost at re-sale time, but that is not the case for navigation systems.
Old 07-12-15, 08:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I don't have a problem with a service like destination assist where they are paying and staffing live people to help you in a concierge service being an additional cost.
I wouldn't be adverse to paying a nominal amount for the service. I think the existing yearly charge is much too high. Also, I use navigation about 5 times a year and not always in the Lexus.
Old 07-12-15, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Navigation or not?

Originally Posted by bc6152
I wouldn't be adverse to paying a nominal amount for the service. I think the existing yearly charge is much too high. Also, I use navigation about 5 times a year and not always in the Lexus.
I use navigation every day, it all depends on your use.
Old 07-12-15, 10:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'm pretty much in the same situation. While, as I said earlier in this thread, I've come to appreciate having an easy to read map in an easy-to-see location available to me 100% of the time, there aren't more than a couple of times a year when I need actual route guidance, and, therefore, it is hard for me to justify spending the $265 per year for a full Lexus Enform subscription, but I'll never buy another vehicle without a navigation system.

While, with the more expensive Lexus vehicle models, I suspect a higher percentage of owners continue to buy the Enform subscription, I also suspect that with vehicles like the ES, RX, etc., the majority of owners discontinue having the Enform subscription after the free trial period ends. With those less expensive Lexus vehicles, I have to wonder if Lexus wouldn't have more total revenue by pricing the subscription more reasonably and attracting more subscription buyers.
Old 07-12-15, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My guess is overall very few people renew the enform subscription, regardless of the price level of the vehicle.

I never have.
Old 07-12-15, 02:23 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

My guess is overall very few people renew the enform subscription, regardless of the price level of the vehicle.

I never have.
Agree. People with more expensive Lexus vehicles still know when something like the Enform subscriptions are convenient but not necessary for the price Lexus charges. I might understand people paying for the Safety Connect and Remote service, but not the Destination Assist part. I won't be renewing any of the services on my GS350 when that time comes. Car Nav functions fine without it and you can send destinations to your car from your phone through the Enform App Suite (free).
Old 07-12-15, 03:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
Agree. People with more expensive Lexus vehicles still know when something like the Enform subscriptions are convenient but not necessary for the price Lexus charges. I might understand people paying for the Safety Connect and Remote service, but not the Destination Assist part. I won't be renewing any of the services on my GS350 when that time comes. Car Nav functions fine without it and you can send destinations to your car from your phone through the Enform App Suite (free).
What is unfortunate, though, is that, even though I suspect that the cost to Lexus per vehicle of installing the hardware needed for things like Destination Assist and Safety Connect is quite low, we do have that technology in our vehicles and, without the subscriptions, we can't use it. At the same time, I can't justify paying that much for something that I'll only use a couple of times per year, especially, when there are other alternative options via smart phones that can accomplish the same thing at no additional cost.
Old 07-12-15, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The only reason I might renew it this time is the remote. I really like the inform remote, being able to remote start it from anywhere, get status, set driver modes when its with a valet or in the shop, etc.
Old 07-12-15, 07:20 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I have to agree. I really like the remote app and that just might be the incentive I need to renew this time.

Quick Reply: Navigation or not?