ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Picked up our new ES, a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 06:06 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz
Another thought came to mind related to anyone who might be hearing wind noise from the area around the windows. Do you have paint protection film installed on your vehicle, and, if so, is it installed on the mirrors? I've read a number of threads on this board in which people discovered that the source of the wind noise that they were hearing was paint protection film on the mirrors. Supposedly, the shape of the mirrors is well-designed with regard to aerodynamic considerations, and even something as thin as the paint protection film can throw off those aerodynamics and result in wind noise.
Not yet.

But its being installed Saturday, go figure!

It hasnt made any difference on my G, but Ill see what happens on the ES (can always remove it if I think its causing an issue)
Old 07-08-15, 09:47 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another thought came to mind related to anyone who might be hearing wind noise from the area around the windows. Do you have paint protection film installed on your vehicle, and, if so, is it installed on the mirrors? I've read a number of threads on this board in which people discovered that the source of the wind noise that they were hearing was paint protection film on the mirrors. Supposedly, the shape of the mirrors is well-designed with regard to aerodynamic considerations, and even something as thin as the paint protection film can throw off those aerodynamics and result in wind noise.
I have it applied on my mirrors and don't have any noise issues with them.
Old 07-08-15, 12:42 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I have it applied on my mirrors and don't have any noise issues with them.
But a number of people have reported that they have had problems with the film on the mirrors. I'm not sure whether the cause of the problem is the particular film material used or, perhaps, how it was applied, but, if you search the various Club Lexus forums, you will find multiple threads with multiple people reporting a problem and also reporting that, when they removed the film from the mirrors, the noise disappeared.
Old 07-08-15, 02:31 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have it on mine too and no noise.
Old 07-08-15, 02:44 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Have you ever stood next to your(parked) car on a windy day? I can hear the wind whistling through the area between the mirror and the body, where the little 'vortex generator' is located. I don't know if this could also cause wind noise at speed, but seems a possibility.
Old 07-26-15, 06:29 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but figured Id report back now that Ive been able to sample both tires (Bridgestones vs Michelins)

My dealer graciously swapped out our wheel/tire set (that came with Bridgestones, and only had 40 miles on them) with a set of wheels/tires that had Michelins. Both were the 18" wheels so I didnt "lose" anything, just some time to get them swapped.

After driving on the Michelins, they are definitely better. Most of the improvement, however, seems to be in the road feel: soft enough over bumps so they arent nearly as jarring as the Bridgestones while still riding firm enough not to feel like a boat.

The Michelins are also a little bit quieter....not a WHOLE lot, but its definitely noticeable, especially at highway speeds.

If I had to *pay* to make this change it would have been a closer call. I was expecting more improvement in road noise than I got, but Im not complaining. The softer feel over bumps is a much welcomed improvement, though....makes the car ride more like a Lexus than an Avalon.

Im sure there are much better alternative tires out there, but for someone like me that bought the car brand new, the last thing I want to do is be "forced" to buy $500.00+ worth of tires. The Michelins that come with the car, if you are lucky, are a nice middle ground.