ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Impression on my first long road trip - 300h

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 08:54 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Impression on my first long road trip - 300h

Drove from Columbus, Ohio to NY city and back last weekend. Here are some impressions:
1) Mileage in Columbus ~ 40mpg.
2) Mileage during kamikaze driving in Manhattan ~ 36.5mpg.
3) Forget Eco mode on the highway, especially when going through hilly areas. The car has no acceleration at speed. In fact, it is dangerous. Power mode is best, even in Manhattan.
4) Car is not so quiet at ~75mph. I think it is those horrible Bridgestone tires maybe.
4.5) Suspension also feels harsh on the NJ potholes after 8 hrs of driving.
5) The hybrid drive behaves a bit strangely when accelerating at speed. One can feel the ICE and MG2 trading torque and it is a strange feeling. The torque delivery is not 100% uniform, like that of an ICE only car. The response is definitely not as direct as an ICE only car. It is not the CVT, my Altima has a CVT and it feels more direct than the 300h. But the Altima also feels like a truck compared to the 300h.
6) I think the 300h's best use is zen like driving around the city and enjoying EV mode and quietness associated with it. Fortunately that is what I do on my daily commute, so it is enjoyable.
Old 06-04-15, 07:24 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I haven't taken many long trips with the ES300h but I agree with many of your points.

1 and 2:
Mileage gets better with slower driving, dive-bombing into gaps in traffic and braking hard isn't efficient I've seen 60+ mpg on slow drives through country roads, I get 40 mpg with highway cruising, 38 mpg in mad city traffic and 45 mpg when I take it slow in town.

3: Yeah, I use Eco mode in the city, Normal on the highway. Eco mode steering is too light and the throttle response it too slow at high speed.

4: I've dropped my pressures down to 33 psi and the car feels a lot quieter and smoother. I'm on 17" Dunlop SP Sports. Road noise is a problem on this car, they should have added more wheel well insulation so it's quiet regardless of the road surface or tires used. Or you could buy an LS!

5: This is the hybrid weirdness that takes a while to get used to. It's like a CVT because of the rubberband effect between engine speed going up immediately and road speed slowly catching up. Below 60 km/h, engine rpm is 0 when off. Above that, it free wheels at 1000 rpm without any fuel being used.

I find throttle response more linear at highway speeds; an increase in engine rpm brings an immediate increase in road speed. It's all down to power being split between ICE, MG1 and MG2, with MG1 actually setting engine rpm instead of throttle load. Thinking about it makes my head hurt.

5: Agreed. It's a lovely car for wafting about town and taking it easy, all while getting ridiculous mpg. I've stopped thinking about how the hybrid system works and now I just drive it like a normal car.
Old 06-18-15, 11:17 AM
Riles
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused about the "forget eco mode on the highway" comment. When I drive on the highway, my speed is relatively constant the whole time, which is perfect for eco mode. Also, when you mash on the gas pedal, it will give plenty of power. Are you trying to go from 70mph to 90mph or something?

I drive ~600 miles per week in my 300h, mostly highway (NJ Turnpike). I get anywhere from 36mpg (at 82+mph) to 41mpg (at 70mph cruise control).

As far as cabin noise- it is very important that you drop your tire pressure to 33 psi. Mine came with the tires at 40psi so I drove like that for a couple of weeks and I had the same complaint- too harsh and too noisy. However, once I dropped the tires to the recommended 33psi, the ride was entirely different. It's now very quiet and very soft. And surprisingly, the mileage is the same or better as it was at 40psi.
Old 06-18-15, 12:55 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My wife and I have taken her 300h to FL twice, a 1,000 mi roundtrip and I really enjoy the ride. Typically drive 75-80 and will get 37-39 mpg.

I agree with the first two posters re Normal mode on the interstate. Acceleration extremely slow in Eco mode at highway speed.

Also, have some wind noise at highway speed, but it is not an LS. We just turn up XM radio.
Old 06-18-15, 06:12 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree that Eco mode may be ok cruising at a steady speed on a level road. But passing in Eco mode is next to impossible because there is no acceleration. Changing lanes is dangerous because it takes a long time to adjust to a higher speed.

I now twist the **** to power mode before a lane change or before passing and then switch it back. Seems to work.