Anyone added a new subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 04:35 PM
bkadams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone added a new subwoofer?

Hey everyone:

I just picked up a 2015 ES350 Crafted Line on Saturday and I'm absolutely in love with the car. I can't say enough things about how comfortable the interior is, how much I love the body style, etc.

I just upgraded from a 2009 Nissan Altima that had their Bose sound system in it. I'm typically not a fan of Bose but it's amazing how much better the Nissan's sound system was. The sound of my ES350 isn't "terrible" but it needs some more bottom end and some speakers that can handle a little more before they hit distortion.

My question is, has anyone added an aftermarket sub to their ES350 who experienced similar sound issues? I'm looking to add a bit more bottom without doing a huge teardown type of stereo installation.

Would love to hear any thoughts anyone has.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-28-15, 06:37 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I added a 15in kicker, it's sounds perfect now however it did blow the ML sub since I sauter iron into it to get signal but no big deal since the 15 puts out enough sound. This install was by far the easiest one I have done since all the plastic molding along the door pops right out and there isn't a solid wall like other Lexus behind the back seat definitely made wire tucking a piece of cake! If you done audio install before you shouldn't have problem. As for door speaker I haven't touched them yet but The door panel pops out like any other Toyota.
Old 04-29-15, 01:04 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I had a 12" sub in the ES. All you need is a Hi/Lo converter (turns the stock speaker wire into low signal RCAs), mono amp, and enclosure for the sub.

Sounds a lot cleaner because you can keep the bass on the EQ flat so the door speakers don't distort as much.

This is what I used for the Hi/Lo converter.
http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc2i/
Old 04-29-15, 05:20 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DSP mode

I know this may not help with the big bass type sound youre looking for but selecting surround sound mode in the sound settings menu under DSP made a big difference in the sound for me. The sound seemed to fill out the car more and increased the bass.
Old 04-29-15, 06:03 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gemini6kl
I know this may not help with the big bass type sound youre looking for but selecting surround sound mode in the sound settings menu under DSP made a big difference in the sound for me. The sound seemed to fill out the car more and increased the bass.
I noticed this as well
Old 04-30-15, 06:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by gemini6kl
Maybe it's different with the standard system, but with the ML, it sounds much worse with DSP surround on.

To the OP, I would go with an external sub with an amp if I were you. Good luck!
Old 05-01-15, 09:12 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone do this on the hybrid? The bass is seriously weak on the standard sound system. I can't figure out how to wire up a sub+amp with the traction battery right behind the seats and I don't know where to put one either.
Old 05-01-15, 06:56 PM
bkadams
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the feedback on the sub. I was definitely thinking of adding an amp and sub to the system rather than just trying to swap a speaker. I'm not looking to shake buildings as I drive down the road, just want to fill out the bottom end a bit more as it feels a little weak to me.

I've also noticed that the standard stereo sounds REALLY flat with the DSP surround turned off. I'm typically the kind of guy who turns off all of that kind of processing but not in this case.
Old 05-01-15, 06:58 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

With the utmost respect, I do not want to offend anybody, but you guys are either rich beyond my wildest imagination or exceedingly brave! How can you start hacking into a new $50,000 car which is still under warranty?

Again, no disrespect, but I am amazed :-)
Old 05-01-15, 07:03 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bkadams

I've also noticed that the standard stereo sounds REALLY flat with the DSP surround turned off. I'm typically the kind of guy who turns off all of that kind of processing but not in this case.
I agree. It sounds terrible with surround off.

Originally Posted by zes
With the utmost respect, I do not want to offend anybody, but you guys are either rich beyond my wildest imagination or exceedingly brave! How can you start hacking into a new $50,000 car which is still under warranty?

Nothing different than putting aftermarket wheels, tint, lowering springs, etc. If done properly, it can be easily uninstalled and no one will know it was there.
Old 05-01-15, 07:29 PM
bkadams
Driver School Candidate

I always look at it as there is always WAY more depreciation happening by just taking the car home than from anything that I would have done to it to make it more to my liking. There's no way I'd go into the dash and mess around back there (for a while) but I'd be 100% confident in adding a sub with the method that LexRuger mentioned.
Old 05-18-15, 04:51 PM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I'm doing the same thing now in an 07. I'm being REALLY picky and I want to run my remote wire to my aftermarket amp from the factory amp. Has anybody done this? I have the wiring diagram and have narrowed it down to 1 of 4 wires, but I still don't know which one is correct. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-15, 10:20 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zes

I have to agree with you.
Old 05-22-15, 08:57 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's really not a problem is you have the right tools, some expertise with wiring, and a factory wring diagram and basic circuit information. The latter can be downloaded from the Toyota techInfo site. With some anxiety I remove most of my dash on my '13 to install a glass break sensor, RES+, and the Prestigious Society bypass and did not have any issues. Even though the dealer said that the RES+ would not work with the '13 ES it works fine on mine. You just need to take your time and identify the correct wiriing or circuit and you'll be good.

The one thing that I am always careful about is to solder all of my connections and to be careful when working on anythiing connected to the CAN BUS as those are normally the things that will cause the most problems in the long run.

If you are not comfortable doing this kind of mod on your car then don't do it. Some of us are willing to DIY it just to get the satisfaction of saying that we did it ourselves and save a few bucks in the process.

No disrespect but I would rather do it myself than have a wire monkey at one of the local audio shops create havoc under my dash.
Old 07-04-15, 11:14 AM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I should post an update. There's no way to tap off the factory amp for the remote wire to an aftermarket amp. I tested every connection, the only ones that had the proper voltage were always on, even when the car was off. I ended up running the remote wire up to the fuse box under the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Anyone added a new subwoofer?