ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Install navigation on 2013 es350

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 05:42 AM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Install navigation on 2013 es350

Hey guys i just purchased a 2013 es 350 , and I'm loving the car but it didnt come with the navigation system. At the time i didnt care much for it but the more i researched it i realzied there were some things i liked about it. Is there any way i can have that installed by the dealer . Im thinking i can sell the old unit to offset the cost of the new unit any idea what a new unit might cost?
Old 04-08-15, 06:09 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Trust me, it would be much cheaper to trade the car in on one with navigation, There are many factors involved. I used to work in a Lexus dealership parts department. If you buy it after the fact from the dealer, it would be close to $10k just for the parts. You would need the display, nav computer, remote touch, wiring harness, dash parts, etc. etc. etc. Just the display itself is $3900.
Old 04-08-15, 06:52 AM
gemini6kl
Driver

Well I already have the display screen. Just not with navigation. I don't see why it should be anything more than a swap of the screen and addition of may be a harness or 2 To connect to a gps Module. The navigation is really just a software. All cars are usually made to swap or add features easily.
Old 04-08-15, 07:13 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^yeah well go ahead, and see if offroad200 is wrong then. believe me i know what your saying, and logically it should be this simple. it however simply isn't....
Old 04-08-15, 08:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

There are numerous functions connected through the navigation system other than just GPS. Settings, climate control, and others. This is a very complex system requiring much more than adding a wiring harness and a GPS module. If it were my car I'd buy a Garmin for $149.99 and put it on the dash. According to Offroad this would save you $12, 250.00.
Old 04-08-15, 08:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I certainly don't have enough knowledge to speculate what the exact cost would be, but what I'm quite confident of is offroad 200's speculation that you would be be saving a significant amount of money by trading the car and buying one with a navigation system. As bc6152 stated, I'm also confident that you would need to buy more parts than you think, at first, you will need. Also, depending on what package your ES was equipped with, you may even have to replace the screen. Then, there is the matter of a good amount of labor to take things apart and to put them back together. And you are also going to need to keep your fingers crossed and hope that everything is put back together again in a way that doesn't cause wiring issues or squeaks and rattles.

Sometimes, the situation dictates that you accept the fact that you made a decision that you wish you had made differently and either live with that decision or take a financial loss to make the decision that you wish you had made originally. We have all been there.
Old 04-08-15, 09:46 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I concur. The collection advice here, and in previous comments on the same subject matter is that the cost and complex installation would be cost prohibitive. Stay with a stand alone Garmin or use your smartphone for your GPS and save your cash for the next gen ES or improvements you may want.
Old 04-08-15, 10:06 AM
gemini6kl
Driver

Thanks everyone for your input, turns out yeah it will cost a fortune, more than 7,000 $ just spoke to the dealer.
Old 04-08-15, 04:36 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

You can get an after market system for less than $1000 if you don't mind losing mileage info. My car came with a black and white screen and my dealer replaced it with a touch screen navigation system. It interfaces with the steering wheel buttons and most voice commands work, but I can't enter addresses by voice like with the factory navigation system.
Old 04-08-15, 05:45 PM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slight off topic. But aside from being integrated into vehicle's control. Aftermarket navi like $150 garmin with lifetime traffic and map functions so much better than the stock navi.
Old 04-08-15, 07:38 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you know i have navigation on all 3 of my cars, and i can say without a doubt that i have never used the built in navigation for directions, not even once in over 10 years. I always use Google Maps or Waze on my phone. The directions your car gives you suck anyway and punching in the destination takes a long time.

Well then you might ask, why do you keep paying for a navigation system or select a higher trim to have navi when you do not use it ? Simple, i like to see upcoming roads and dead ends and little side streets to go around traffic, this is the sole purpose for me buying a car with navi package. That and the fact that you get way more media and dvd options with a navi screen. I really enjoy going to a nice scenic view, like around the Hollywood sign overlooking L.A. and put on a stand up comedy or movie and enjoy it with my significant other.

So i guess what im trying to say is, an ive learned this the hardway, if i buy a car it has to be fully loaded, because if not, im always going to feel bad and 95% of the time end up spending much more later to make myself feel better. And any aftermarket system will never work as well as factory so my humble suggestion is, if u really want the navi system, trade in your vehicle for one that has everything you want. If getting financed again so soon might be a problem, then drive for a year or so and then trade it in.
Old 04-09-15, 01:39 PM
SpecialAgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PirelliES
you know i have navigation on all 3 of my cars, and i can say without a doubt that i have never used the built in navigation for directions, not even once in over 10 years. I always use Google Maps or Waze on my phone. The directions your car gives you suck anyway and punching in the destination takes a long time.

Well then you might ask, why do you keep paying for a navigation system or select a higher trim to have navi when you do not use it ? Simple, i like to see upcoming roads and dead ends and little side streets to go around traffic, this is the sole purpose for me buying a car with navi package. That and the fact that you get way more media and dvd options with a navi screen. I really enjoy going to a nice scenic view, like around the Hollywood sign overlooking L.A. and put on a stand up comedy or movie and enjoy it with my significant other.

So i guess what im trying to say is, an ive learned this the hardway, if i buy a car it has to be fully loaded, because if not, im always going to feel bad and 95% of the time end up spending much more later to make myself feel better. And any aftermarket system will never work as well as factory so my humble suggestion is, if u really want the navi system, trade in your vehicle for one that has everything you want. If getting financed again so soon might be a problem, then drive for a year or so and then trade it in.
Even as a yougster I can hardly grasp the fact that we've had navigation systems in cars for over 10 years
Old 04-10-15, 10:38 AM
isidro0
Driver School Candidate

If you have a screen without navigation, see if the Beat Sonics video input will work. http://www.beatsonicusa.com/avc38.html
Add external video from phone.
Old 11-21-15, 11:32 AM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecialAgt
Even as a yougster I can hardly grasp the fact that we've had navigation systems in cars for over 10 years
Why hard to believe, I have it on my 2006 LS430 and that was the end of that product style. maybe you forgot
Old 11-21-15, 04:32 PM
AdamKralic
Driver School Candidate

Waze - app for your iPhone/Android phone.

It's more accurate than my lexus' built in gps. The lexus gps is great for long drives...but i live in a smallish town and it's not exactly accurate or even helpful there. Waze is.

Quick Reply: Install navigation on 2013 es350