ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

First Post, looking at ES

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 02:54 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Post, looking at ES

Just got back from driving and ES and an RX. The ES for me was a much nicer ride due to the quietness of the cabin. I have some issues with my ears and a quiet car has become a priority. I have looked at the Avalon as well as these are supposed to be so close and I drove and ES at another dealer awhile back, not as nice as todays.

Today's ES had the luxury Pkg, so not the double windows, don't know if they are Acoustic like the Avalon or not. It drove great and was quiet both wind and road noise. Now the Avalon was on my test drives quiet from wind noise but not road noise but the difference I have a feeling was the 18vs17inch wheels and the Bridgestone vs. Michelin tires, so if all was equal I am not sure there would be a difference in noise. The ride itself of the ES reminded me of the days when I would drive my uncles Cadillac, very nice. I have to drive the Avalon once again. I do not have pricing yet but know the ES will be more money with a few different options (I would not get the navigation pkg for $1700 for an option I barely use, I would just get a stand alone unit).

It will all depend on the cars being equally as quiet and the end deal. I will be getting the technology type pkg options on either unless the price makes me nuts and I have to think of something lesser.....

I have read that the last generation before this one had a nicer ride (I guess the suspension and seats are the suspect here) and I would like to know more about this. I was hoping that the '16 would go back to the older type grill but I just read on this site that the grills we continue to be more and more aggressive, so maybe when the new ES is announced deals will be available. Problem is that I want all of the tech features and these are rarely ordered from what I have so far seen, sure I can get the parking assist and the blind spot/cross traffic, but I also want the Pre-Collision and the lane departure, that is what makes the Avalon easier to get all I want but i think if memory serves me from my last Avalon drive that the ES drove nicer, again this may be due to tires more than anything. Hoping others may have compared both and can chime in.

Thank you

BB
Old 03-30-15, 03:24 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexus is tuning the suspension to be more on the firmer side. they are targeting the younger crowd. there is no question it's firmer than the previous gen. the 17's ride better with the michelin tires compared to the 18's. no acoustic windshield in any es pkgs, and some variation with the double pane front windows.
Old 03-30-15, 04:16 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by airgas1998
lexus is tuning the suspension to be more on the firmer side. they are targeting the younger crowd. there is no question it's firmer than the previous gen. the 17's ride better with the michelin tires compared to the 18's. no acoustic windshield in any es pkgs, and some variation with the double pane front windows.
Thank you. So the next generation may be firmer? Avalon is going the other way from what has been leaked so far. Avalon has Acoustic windshield and driver and passenger windows, ES is very quiet, they must be doing something. I know the UL pkg has the double pane windows, but that was not what I drove.
Old 03-30-15, 05:10 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
Thank you. So the next generation may be firmer? Avalon is going the other way from what has been leaked so far. Avalon has Acoustic windshield and driver and passenger windows, ES is very quiet, they must be doing something. I know the UL pkg has the double pane windows, but that was not what I drove.
make sure if you are looking at an ES with the UL package that it indeed has the double pane glass. it appears some do some don't based on production runs. this comes from members here stating such issue/findings.
Old 03-30-15, 06:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

My 300h doesn't have double paned glass but it's still a very quiet car as far as wind noise and exterior noise are concerned. I can carry a conversation at normal volume even at 80 mph. There can be some annoying tire roar depending on the road surface and tires fitted on the car.

The suspension is definitely firmer than the previous generation, probably tuned for better handling and younger drivers. It's not harsh but it can feel lumpy at low speeds. It's fine on smooth highways though. I'm on 17" rims with Dunlop SP Sport tires, those with Bridgestones on 18" rims have complained about the ride.
Old 03-30-15, 06:34 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

You will also want to test drive the UL version carefully as it has the larger 18" wheels and thus a little firmer ride.

We had an Avalon and it was a great car. We had it for seven years and our only complaint was the noise level. Just too much road noise. The model we had was several versions back though and we haven't tried the current gen. No need now that we are about a month in on our ES. The ES is a really nice car, with a very smooth quiet ride, but just the right size. We really like our RX too, but it isn't as quiet as the ES. Good luck with your decision, but you can't go wrong with either.
Old 03-30-15, 06:52 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by airgas1998
make sure if you are looking at an ES with the UL package that it indeed has the double pane glass. it appears some do some don't based on production runs. this comes from members here stating such issue/findings.
It was the luxury package I drove but to be honest I would probably opt for the premium pkg and do the add ons that I want, I prefer this to a package with items that are not on my desired list. I did look at the windows and they were not double pane, but the car was silent. I will only buy a car that I can drive first, no ordering and then that is it, did that before I realized i had a right to refusal, learned my lesson well. I am not a fan of the panoramic roof in the UL, just too big for me.Thank you
Old 03-30-15, 06:57 PM
BB11
Intermediate

chromedome and Ward, thank you. I think the key is the 17 inch wheels and the michelin tires for my ears, of course I have to drive the one I will buy. The Avalon I drove was nice (I actually drove a few of them) only the hybrid with 17 inch wheels and Michelin tires was quiet, the 18 inch Bridgestones were noisy, wind noise was ok in both of those though. I think wind noise is as quiet or better in the ES, but they are both good so not an issue it is Road Noise. I have to see if I can find an avalon with Michelin tires and if I get an Avalon with tech I would order the 17 inch package but I am preferring the ES right now with the options I want. With the pre-collision and Land Departure, blindspot etc to compare with the Avalon LTD with tech (all I am giving up is the Nav which I hate anyway) the MSRP's are very close. Now I have to see what the bottom line will be....
Old 03-30-15, 07:10 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Re: Avalon vs. ES: about 9 mos. before I got mine I test drove an Avalon Ltd. Hybrid and the ES Hybrid. They both rode well and were luxurious. I believe the ES was about $3K higher in MSRP than the Avalon even though the latter had leather unlike the ES. The deal offered on the Avalon was about the same as the ES even though it had a lower sticker price. The Toyota dealer said the deal may not have been as favorable because the Ltd. was in short supply/high demand. The ES turned out to be the better deal especially considering it's a Lexus with better warranty and better dealer experience.

Last edited by Canesguy; 03-30-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 07:16 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I was also looking for one without the nav for the same reasons but then ended up getting one with the nav. I am happy I got the nav even though Lexus will charge $250 to update the maps. What a rip off. I would suggest you reconsider the nav because one problem with the es is that there is no power outlet in the front. You will have to plug your nav in the outlet inside the box under the center armrest. That will be a pain, unless you use the nav in a phone.
Old 03-30-15, 07:21 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Re: Avalon vs. ES: about 9 mos. before I got mine I test drove an Avalon Ltd. Hybrid and the ES Hybrid. They both rode well and were luxurious. I believe the ES was about $3K higher in MSRP than the Avalon even though the latter had leather unlike the ES. The deal offered on the Avalon was about the same as the ES even though it had a lower sticker price. The Toyota dealer said the deal may not have been as favorable because the Ltd. was in short supply/high demand. The ES turned out to be the better deal especially considering it's a Lexus with better warranty and better dealer experience.
Canesguy, can you please give a little comparison review between the Accord hybrid and the 300h. Since you have both, I expect you will be fair. What is the noise/comfort like in the Accord H compared to the ES300h. I almost bought the Accord H, but the reviews said that the Honda H system runs the engine at odd times and the engine is noisy if it is pushed hard. Also the trunk space seemed to be really small. What is your real world experience? Which one do you like driving more? Which one is more peppy? smoother? Does the engine engagement give a slight lurch every now and then, like it does on the 300h?
Thanks!
Old 03-30-15, 07:22 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
The ES is my first choice. I thought Lexus dealers did not like to discount. Trucar put the LTD with tech at about 38k after close to a 45k msrp. The msrp on the ES with leather and chosen options is very close. So now to see about the trade and the discount. It will be about what deal i feel is best, not least but best. My trade is worth 29-30k, offered that already, have not gotten that far with Lexus. I am leaving for a 2 month stay in Brasil so won't do anything before returning other than possibly giving a deposit if the right deal is offered on a Lexus. Thanks
Old 03-30-15, 07:53 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the 17s if round noise and comfort is a big issue for you, as it seems to be. The car at low speeds is little bumpy and firm, i dont think 18s will help the situation.
Old 03-30-15, 08:05 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zes
I was also looking for one without the nav for the same reasons but then ended up getting one with the nav. I am happy I got the nav even though Lexus will charge $250 to update the maps. What a rip off. I would suggest you reconsider the nav because one problem with the es is that there is no power outlet in the front. You will have to plug your nav in the outlet inside the box under the center armrest. That will be a pain, unless you use the nav in a phone.
Thx, did not know this... Bad design.
Old 03-30-15, 08:06 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Get the 17s if round noise and comfort is a big issue for you, as it seems to be. The car at low speeds is little bumpy and firm, i dont think 18s will help the situation.
Thanks, yes, 17's are what i want.

Quick Reply: First Post, looking at ES