ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

genesis vs es

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 07:44 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default genesis vs es

i know it's more targeted (competition wise) towards the GS, but dealers around here are taking 5k off of msrp easily. for 44k it has everything and awd. i didn't even have this model on my radar when i was car shopping. i'm thinking that i was foolish in not looking at this car. i know you don't get the brand recognition and resale value that comes with the lexus brand. did anybody cross shop this model before they purchased their ES?, and if so why did you go with the ES.
Old 03-20-15, 12:49 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The Genesis looks great, is supposed to be as quiet as the typical Lexus and is a lot cheaper even with AWD. Looks like Hyundai are doing to Lexus what Lexus did to the Germans 20 years ago.

To me it would be down to reliability and customer service. I've only heard problems from friends and relatives owning Hyundais (and all sorts of German machinery too) whereas I've had no issues with various Lexii and Toyotas, so I went with something familiar. The proven hybrid system on the 300h sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-20-15, 12:58 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I considered the Genesis, but since it was too new, I wasn't sure about the reliability. All the new tech and driver assist features are cool and innovative, but I don't know the long-term durability of the systems. Their customer service wasn't the best either when I went into the dealer I've had good experiences with Lexus, especially the service departments. The engine in the ES has been in the Lexus and Toyota lineup for several years so it has been well tested and rated as very reliable. Also, the sound of "I drive a Lexus" sounds so much better than "I drive a Hyundai." I know that they have vastly improved, but the name has already been tarnished by terrible econoboxes of the past. It might take a while for them to change the public"s opinion of spending so much money on a luxury, premium Hyundai.
Old 03-20-15, 06:11 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

I cross shopped the Azera, since in March 2013 there was only the old style Genesis available. I actually came from a Hyundai (Sonata), which gave me almost 80k trouble free miles. The only issue I had was at around 75k. I was getting an emission CEL code, which I think was fixed with a new exhaust sensor, but I traded it in before it had a chance to trigger again, if not. As far as depreciation goes, I only lost $11k in 5 years. Stickered at $26k, bought for $22k and traded in at KBB's trade-in estimate of $11k. Pretty good, considering I lost about $20k on my previous GM SUV in 2 years!

I didn't go with the Azera, mainly because I was tired of the rubbery interior feel. Ok, also the Hyundai stigma I lived with for 5 years. I drove a bunch of cars, but after driving the ES, I was hooked. Had the redesigned Genesis been available, it may have been a different story, but probably not. I did my time.
Old 03-20-15, 06:32 AM
s9211
Driver School Candidate

I am glad you brought this topic up because I have been battling the same question. I wanted to buy the GS, but it was out of my budget. I finally made up my mind about the ES when a friend told me about the redesigned Genesis and now I'm unsure of which way to go. Looking forward to reading what everybody thinks.
Old 03-20-15, 08:04 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Certainly the lexus stigma including sales and service along with the projected great reliability was my top priority and hence why i went this route. However with the exception of reliability i think the genesis is the better car. Certainly its a better value. I am a nit picker and dont get me wrong i love the es and i know many trouble free miles are ahead of me,but no question like the headliner,visors are on the cheap side. Unless with the Ul package you get upgraded materials. You guys make a valid point on the long term reliability of the genesis but hey check out the warranty that comes with it.
Old 03-21-15, 12:21 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

To me the all new 2015 Genesis and Sonata have a more "tank like"; i.e Lexus LS4xx feel to them than the ES350 and Camry. They feel and ride like heavier cars with less noticable body vibrations and quivers. Indeed they are the antithesis of the stereotypical "tin can" feel of Asian cars. Conversely, the don't feel as agile and light on their feet as the ES350 and Camry. Their interiors, though comfortable with large, user friendly dash controls and buttons, look more dated and less elegant. Their engines, though powerful, don't feel as though they have quite as much "get up and go" as low to moderate throttle openings. The slight advantage they have on purchase price over the ES350/Camry evaporates at resale time. Bottomline is they are compelling alternatives to the ES350/Camry, but I personally prefer the more "agile and light on their feet" overall feel of the ES350/Camry.
Old 03-21-15, 10:43 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by gemigniani
To me the all new 2015 Genesis and Sonata have a more "tank like"; i.e Lexus LS4xx feel to them than the ES350 and Camry. They feel and ride like heavier cars with less noticable body vibrations and quivers. Indeed they are the antithesis of the stereotypical "tin can" feel of Asian cars. Conversely, the don't feel as agile and light on their feet as the ES350 and Camry. Their interiors, though comfortable with large, user friendly dash controls and buttons, look more dated and less elegant. Their engines, though powerful, don't feel as though they have quite as much "get up and go" as low to moderate throttle openings. The slight advantage they have on purchase price over the ES350/Camry evaporates at resale time. Bottomline is they are compelling alternatives to the ES350/Camry, but I personally prefer the more "agile and light on their feet" overall feel of the ES350/Camry.
es350/avalon from 13'-present...
Old 03-21-15, 08:17 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

What do you guys think of the Taurus? I rented one during the holiday season last year and drove it down from Columbus, OH to Myrtle Beach. It was very comfortable and quiet. Does that compete with the ES 350? I have the 300h so I did not cross shop the Taurus but I wonder if the 350 owners did.
Thanks
Old 03-21-15, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Genesis is a fabulous car, I drove both the V8 and the V6 a couple months ago. The only downside is the brand, and dealer support compared to Lexus, but that car is a superior car to the ES in basically every way. It's RWD based, more refined, rides better, quieter it's a segment up for the same money. I would not even consider an ES over a Genesis except for the brand, and perhaps if I were going to keep the car a long time.
Old 03-22-15, 07:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I would not even consider an ES over a Genesis
Color me SHOCKED!
Old 03-22-15, 09:25 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I test drove both a 2015 ES and a 2015 Genesis in the past week. ( 3.8L AWD for the Genesis)

I felt the Genesis was a bit "jerky" on the accelerator, but perhaps that was just me getting used to the car. The AWD takes quite a bit more gas than the ES due to weight, AWD and the fact that Hyundai does not seem to be able to produce extremely fuel efficient engines. It is also a first year model, and those, regardless of manufacturer come with more chances for things to go wrong. Some of the Genesis forums I read referenced teething issues you just don't see on an ES. The Lexus just felt more refined.

I just could not sell myself on the Genesis. Add to that most of the Hyundai dealerships around here are just terrible...tiny jammed dealerships built in the 60;s and 70's that have probably gone through a variety of dealers and manufacturers over the years. Definitely lower tier type places and their salesmen sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Resale value is likely terrible for the Hyundai. The fans of the Genesis are buying it for the looks, and some of the tech features, but it takes more than a bat-signal welcome lamp and other electronic novelties to get me to bite. I like high tech things, but I keep my cars a long time, and I am still not sold on the long term reliability of so many of these tech items Hyundai is selling. Not really interested in regular trips to the dealership to get things "fixed" regardless of the warranty.

Reliability is the key to me to a car purchase especially if forking out $50K.. The jury (well me, that is) is still out on the Genesis... Maybe 3 years down the road, but not today.
Old 03-22-15, 09:44 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

es350/avalon from 13'-present...
I have seen several references to this suggestion that this latest gen ES is based on the Avalon and it is certainly what the sales reps are stating. Sadly, not everything my sales rep told me is true (of course it has HID headlights...) so I don't buy that simply as a result of some marketing campaign. Is there anything documented from Lexus that claims this, or is it all "word of mouth?" I am further confused by a couple of additional facts. The exterior dimensions are closer to the Camry than the Avalon. Furthermore, isn't the Avalon and even the RX based on the Camry as well? Seems like we are splitting hairs a bit to state it is based on the Avalon RATHER than the Camry when the truth is both are based on the Camry. Couldn't we argue it is based on either Toyota model and be essentially correct?
Old 03-22-15, 10:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I have seen several references to this suggestion that this latest gen ES is based on the Avalon and it is certainly what the sales reps are stating. Sadly, not everything my sales rep told me is true (of course it has HID headlights...) so I don't buy that simply as a result of some marketing campaign. Is there anything documented from Lexus that claims this, or is it all "word of mouth?" I am further confused by a couple of additional facts. The exterior dimensions are closer to the Camry than the Avalon. Furthermore, isn't the Avalon and even the RX based on the Camry as well? Seems like we are splitting hairs a bit to state it is based on the Avalon RATHER than the Camry when the truth is both are based on the Camry. Couldn't we argue it is based on either Toyota model and be essentially correct?
Starting in 2013, the ES started being based on the Avalon's chassis, which has always been based on the stretched Camry's. That's probably where some of the confusion starts. Prior to 2013, the ES was based on the standard Camry chassis. You can Google this, if you like.
Old 03-22-15, 10:56 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by Ward6096
i'll crawl under my ES and my mom's 14' Avalon, to make certain.

Quick Reply: genesis vs es