ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

30k mile service: MOC oil, engine, treatment and conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 08:50 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrlexEd88
Toyota put out a TSB a while back ago stating NOT to use any additives in oil or gas as they may cause damage to engine, due to dealers selling such products. Your oil already has additives in it and has been tested by the oil manufacturers to last the oil change intervals so why add something they didn't test on their product themselves. Also gasoline is self cleaning, I'm pretty sure you have use gas to clean something such as grease in the past. Any containment is captured by the fuel filter.

do you know where I could find that TSB? (tried google, not seeing it)

TIA!

proxy error: on searching..
http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answe...it-obtained%3F

Last edited by mrBillFL; 03-20-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-21-15, 08:30 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

For the past 50 years there havn't been any Asian car makers that recommend additives (save Hyundai that recommends using a detergent fuel additive every so often if the owner is not using a top tier rated gasoline. And that's because Hyundai has many direct injection engines where deposits on intake valves are potentially a problem).
Old 03-21-15, 11:59 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The Toyota/Lexus 0w-20 synthetic oil is made to Toyota specifications by Mobil/Exxon. It is essentially, higher performance Mobil 1 designed by Toyota engineers to last 10,000 miles. It does not need any additives.
If you want a gas treatment, I recommend you buy your own bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner available at most auto parts stores . I use it a couple of times a year to help keep the fuel system clean. It is inexpensive.
When I took my Lexus in for it's first oil change ( about a year ago ) I asked the service writer about their in house synthetic oil.. and as stated above I was told the synthetic oil was a higher performance oil manufactured specifically for Toyota / Lexus.... Not being one that believes everything I'm told, I called Mobil and asked about it.. The mobil rep told me they did indeed manufacture synthetic oil for Toyota / Lexus, as well as other car manufacturers.. when I asked him if the oil at the dealership was a higher performance synthetic, he was non committal. He didn't say no, but then again he didn't say yes either... when pressed, he answered my question by saying the best mobil one synthetic oil can be purchased at your local auto parts stores and walmart.... That tells me the stuff at the dealership probably isn't a superior product over the stuff in the auto store... now having said that, I've been using mobil 1 for 20 years or more, plus I change my oil every 5K... over kill? probably, but it gives me peace of mind....

as for the gas treatment, I also agree with clutchless,.. not necessary, but techron is supposed to be good stuff... Personally I almost always use Texaco ( with techron )... I got sold on Texaco some years ago when a big ol T-bird I had with a V8 was having problems with what I call "spark knock"... I retarded the timing, tried additives, made sure I used only premium fuel, changed the plugs... nothing worked.. then one day I saw a tv commercial for texaco saying if you're car "knocked" try their gas and it would be gone within 3 tanks.. I tried it, and it was gone before the first tank ran out.. I know, way too much information, but been using texaco ever since... both my es and my 2010 4 runner engines purr like a kitten... just sayin..

Poppa
Old 03-25-15, 09:49 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my 2013 ES350 to my Toyota dealership today for it's 30k mile maintenance, Lexus wanted $303.00+ for the service, Toyota dealership did the same service for $190. No MOC offered or needed.
Old 03-26-15, 12:24 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Costco gas, but throw in a bottle of Techron every 2k-3k miles. Cheap insurance to keep the valves, injectors and fuel system clean.
Old 03-26-15, 08:40 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I use Costco gas, but throw in a bottle of Techron every 2k-3k miles. Cheap insurance to keep the valves, injectors and fuel system clean.
I've been using fuel injector cleaners since 1987 when I bought my 87 Trans-AM-GTA. Started off with STP injector cleaner added to a tank of gas. Chevron is in my area so I mostly use them but I'll add either Techron, Seafoam, or Lucas injector cleaners to a tank of gas, and glad to say I've never had an injector problem or needed any type injector cleaner/service from a dealership.