ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mildew in AC condenser

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 07:53 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Mildew in AC condenser

So I was reading in another ES forum that this generation of ES may have an issue with its AC system. Apparently the moisture from the condenser does not drain out completely which eventually starts mildew formation on the condenser and a musty smell in the car.

I am wondering if folks on this forum know about this problem, if it is systematic or maybe an isolated case or two of a pinched AC drain hose. I would assume that Lexus would not want this type of problem associated with their good name but some of those owners are not happy at all.

Now that the hot humid weather is coming I am wondering what one can do preemptively to avoid this problem. Shut the AcC off and turn on the heat 5 mins before arriving at the destination? I did not sping for the lexus to do that. My 17 year old Mazda which this car replaced never had any problem like this.

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-14-15, 10:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

There have been a couple of (long) threads about this issue on this board.

Some think that there is an issue, and others don't. In any case, if there is an issue, it likely results from the fact that Lexus has chosen to have the climate control system, in auto mode, default to recirculate mode whenever the ambient temperature is above about 75 degrees. It used to be the case until recent years that climate control systems defaulted to fresh air mode unless the ambient temperature was well into the 90s.

While having the system default to recirculate mode gives very modest fuel economy gains, it can also lead to the build up of stale/musty air inside the air ducts and inside the cabin.

Even though the climate control system is programmed to return to the default recirculate mode every time the vehicle is started and the outside temperature is above 75, I've gotten into the habit of manually switching the system to the fresh air mode when I start the vehicle. While I notice mildly stale air inside the cabin if I leave the system in recirculate mode, there is not even a hint of stale/musty air when I do make it my practice to switch the system to the fresh air mode every time I start the vehicle.
Old 03-14-15, 11:15 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Two years now--in humid NC--all I do is turn off the compressor (A/C icon in the Climate panel--non NAV model) about 2 minutes from the garage, never have had a problem. It's not unique to Lexus by any means, most car boards have some folks who have a problem.
Old 03-14-15, 03:06 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep. Like taking a shower, if you don't vent or open the windows, mold will start growing. Best to drive in fresh air mode (ac on or off) to let the condenser dry out.
Old 03-14-15, 04:05 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Great suggestions, thank you!
Old 03-15-15, 09:21 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
So I was reading in another ES forum that this generation of ES may have an issue with its AC system. Apparently the moisture from the condenser does not drain out completely which eventually starts mildew formation on the condenser and a musty smell in the car.

I am wondering if folks on this forum know about this problem, if it is systematic or maybe an isolated case or two of a pinched AC drain hose. I would assume that Lexus would not want this type of problem associated with their good name but some of those owners are not happy at all.

Now that the hot humid weather is coming I am wondering what one can do preemptively to avoid this problem. Shut the AcC off and turn on the heat 5 mins before arriving at the destination? I did not sping for the lexus to do that. My 17 year old Mazda which this car replaced never had any problem like this.

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks
I have had the ES300h for 2 years, I live in Georgia, I leave the AC/Heat system in Auto when it is not off. No issue with mold smell. My 2006 GS did have the issue with a stale air smell occasionally.