ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Is HID included in Lane Departure Alert option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 03:29 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEFINITIVE ANSWER - We have LDA w/HID & no HID listed on Window Sticker

DEFINITIVE ANSWER - We have LDA w/HID & no HID listed on Window Sticker.
  • Our 2014 model ES300h is Luxury ONLY.
  • It is not UL as we did not "need" ML which was the only apparent difference on Hybrid models
  • The Window Sticker states... "LDA with Intelligent high-beam headlamps" *

* This AUTO high-beam feature is GREAT & we never realized it would be as useful as it is. Love it!

Note; It's nice to see that $515 of the $965 retail price could be directly attributed to the included for no cost HIDs as that makes the LDA cost a bit more palatable (wish it had been LDK instead of simply a warning SOUND ONLY).

Last edited by bunka; 01-21-15 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 04:43 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Does that mean that, if you buy an UL vehicle that doesn't show the HID headlights as a separate line item for $515 that you got a free HID bonus over those who bought one with the HID headlights listed as a separate $515 line item? Or, if there is no separate line item for the HID headlights, is the UL package listed at $2960?
My UL package cost was 2,695.00
Old 01-21-15, 05:05 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by A320pilot
My UL package cost was 2,695.00
So, it would appear that, if your HID lights were included in the UL package and not a separate line item on the sticker, you are getting a $255 discount over what you would have paid had you gotten an UL ES with the UL package and the HID lights listed on the sticker as separate line items.
Old 01-21-15, 06:22 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Ordering

A lot of communication here and not much progress. Perhaps ordering has changed, but I'm not aware of it, if so. I was an early Special Order customer with a major DFW dealership. The term is over used, but I intended to "fully option" and pay MSRP. But, I didn't get two items as planned. The first was the optional $1505. radio, which I don't really care about, for I never have it on. That occurred because they couldn't answer a question I had about it and left it off the order without my knowledge. The second was the HID lights. That, I wanted, and deduced, by careful scrutiny/reading between the lines, that they needed to be ordered on their own, even though a couple of options implied that they were required in those options that I had ordered. The salesman said that they needn't be ordered, as they were part of the package. I told him to pacify me and to order the HID separately. He said he did and provided me his form that he turned in to the dealer ordering people that included the HIDs. Apparently the dealer people that placed the order made their own decision, otherwise. Well, after a couple of months, I received my order confirmation that didn't list the HIDs & radio options. I contacted the sales manager & he called the Long Beach import location. They told him that the HIDs would be on the car. Well, they weren't. And, my MSRP/cost, without those two options was still well over $50,000., so you can see the intended "fully optioned" meaning. The sales manager said that he'd keep the car and reorder, but that it'd take over three months longer, since the special orders had increased markedly by then. Anyway, my experience is that if you don't order and pay $1,505.00 for HID lights, you don't get HID lights on the 2013+ ES300h Lexus. I'm not complaining, for I find the lights to be just fine, but I wasn't fine with them not ordering the car that I requested. Particularly since I was paying MSRP & expected the car as I had ordered. It has been an excellent car, by the way. No problems or complaints. My first refuel (from full to the cap) was 683 miles, which computes to slightly over 700 miles actual, since my odometer reads slightly low, at 0.96 of actual, by calibration (standard Michelin tires). I refueled with the gauge exactly on the Empty indices, as my experience with Japanese cars is that they are pretty conservative with the fuel gauge. Well, refilled to the cap, it took 17.213 gallons U.S.! Some literature says it holds 17.2, but maintenance manuals say 17.0, so I'm guessing that the 17.0 is tank capacity and 17.2 is probably with the filler neck, etc.
Old 01-21-15, 06:55 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gfr1
A lot of communication here and not much progress. Perhaps ordering has changed, but I'm not aware of it, if so. I was an early Special Order customer with a major DFW dealership. The term is over used, but I intended to "fully option" and pay MSRP. But, I didn't get two items as planned. The first was the optional $1505. radio, which I don't really care about, for I never have it on. That occurred because they couldn't answer a question I had about it and left it off the order without my knowledge. The second was the HID lights. That, I wanted, and deduced, by careful scrutiny/reading between the lines, that they needed to be ordered on their own, even though a couple of options implied that they were required in those options that I had ordered. The salesman said that they needn't be ordered, as they were part of the package. I told him to pacify me and to order the HID separately. He said he did and provided me his form that he turned in to the dealer ordering people that included the HIDs. Apparently the dealer people that placed the order made their own decision, otherwise. Well, after a couple of months, I received my order confirmation that didn't list the HIDs & radio options. I contacted the sales manager & he called the Long Beach import location. They told him that the HIDs would be on the car. Well, they weren't. And, my MSRP/cost, without those two options was still well over $50,000., so you can see the intended "fully optioned" meaning. The sales manager said that he'd keep the car and reorder, but that it'd take over three months longer, since the special orders had increased markedly by then. Anyway, my experience is that if you don't order and pay $1,505.00 for HID lights, you don't get HID lights on the 2013+ ES300h Lexus. I'm not complaining, for I find the lights to be just fine, but I wasn't fine with them not ordering the car that I requested. Particularly since I was paying MSRP & expected the car as I had ordered. It has been an excellent car, by the way. No problems or complaints. My first refuel (from full to the cap) was 683 miles, which computes to slightly over 700 miles actual, since my odometer reads slightly low, at 0.96 of actual, by calibration (standard Michelin tires). I refueled with the gauge exactly on the Empty indices, as my experience with Japanese cars is that they are pretty conservative with the fuel gauge. Well, refilled to the cap, it took 17.213 gallons U.S.! Some literature says it holds 17.2, but maintenance manuals say 17.0, so I'm guessing that the 17.0 is tank capacity and 17.2 is probably with the filler neck, etc.
Read my post above. If you actually DO have a "fully" or near-fully optioned car, then you may well HAVE gotten the HID's even though they aren't listed on any of your paperwork. We don't have a scrap of paper showing HID ANYWHERE on any of our paperwork but simply by having the LDA feature, we DID get the HIDs. The only way I was able to confirm was to simply look at the headlights themselves so ...if you got LDA, you also got HIDs
Old 01-21-15, 07:35 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Well, the dealer says that I don't. Didn't list it and didn't pay for it. Also low beam looks different than the others that says that they have HIDs.
Old 01-21-15, 09:41 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Well, the dealer says that I don't. Didn't list it and didn't pay for it. Also low beam looks different than the others that says that they have HIDs.
Possible because you never did answer the one critical question.... Does your vehicle have the Lane Departure Assist option (LDA)? If not, then you would not have the HIDs. However, if you DO have LDA listed on your window sticker...the dealer is probably bollacks 'cause LDA gets HID even though it is NOT represented on either the window sticker or the order paperwork. Our delaer delivery guy didn't even know so we go the same line from our dealer. Dealers are people and people sometimes make mistakes (for the good in our case).

I just realized that you may have a very early production 2013 and as such I guess things may have changed but it would still be helpful to others reading this thread if you could verify (or deny) whether your car has the LDA option. If it does and it's an early model '13 then that may explain the absence of the HID... right?

Last edited by bunka; 01-21-15 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 04:09 AM
A320pilot
Driver

Anyway, my experience is that if you don't order and pay $1,505.00 for HID lights, you don't get HID lights on the 2013+ ES300h Lexus.
$1,505.00 for HID lights, where do you get that figure from?
Old 01-22-15, 06:24 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
[*]It is not UL as we did not "need" ML which was the only apparent difference on Hybrid models
FYI, the ML system is a separate option (Currently $2,695). For a little over $1k more, the UL option adds the following to the Lux package:

Perforated semi-aniline leather-trimmed interior
Driver's-seat power cushion extender
Power rear sunshade with manual rear-door sunshades
Ambient interior lighting

Back to the HID option. I see that those who don't order it, will have the standard halogen fogs, as well. I was under the impression that all ES's from 2014 and up, had LED fogs. I guess not.
Old 01-22-15, 09:25 AM
gfr1
Rookie

Originally Posted by bunka
Read my post above. If you actually DO have a "fully" or near-fully optioned car, then you may well HAVE gotten the HID's even though they aren't listed on any of your paperwork. We don't have a scrap of paper showing HID ANYWHERE on any of our paperwork but simply by having the LDA feature, we DID get the HIDs. The only way I was able to confirm was to simply look at the headlights themselves so ...if you got LDA, you also got HIDs
Read my post above. I said that I got all options other than the omitted radio upgrade and the HIDs. I have and use the LDA regularly. And, as I said, the dealer says that there are no HIDs on my vehicle and the ESs on display, that say they had HIDs on their installed options list, are visibly different from my low beam lights. The options list window sticker says: "Lane Departure Alert with Intelligent high-beam headlamps -- $965.00", for this item.

My error on the $1505.00 That was the omitted radio upgrade price. The omitted HIDs were $515.00.

My comments on options & prices are as of when I received my special order ES300h, 09/29/12. I can't speak for today.
Old 01-22-15, 10:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Thinking back to early 2013, the Lexus "Build your ES" page was much different than today. There were like 5 different sets of available packaged options. The lowest was almost base, while the highest was close to optioned out, including the ML. All you could add after that was LDA and Radar Cruise, plus the dealer added options, such as RES. It was very well illustrated as to what each of the 5 packages included. I know some people hated this and wanted a more mix and match solution, which is more of what today's site looks like. I kind of like the old way better.

Now, I didn't special order my ES, so I don't know if back then you chose each item individually, or chose add-on's to the 5 packages. I just used the page to find out where the car I wanted was located. I don't have the patience that some of you have.
Old 01-22-15, 03:08 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Thinking back to early 2013, the Lexus "Build your ES" page was much different than today. There were like 5 different sets of available packaged options. The lowest was almost base, while the highest was close to optioned out, including the ML. All you could add after that was LDA and Radar Cruise, plus the dealer added options, such as RES. It was very well illustrated as to what each of the 5 packages included. I know some people hated this and wanted a more mix and match solution, which is more of what today's site looks like. I kind of like the old way better.

Now, I didn't special order my ES, so I don't know if back then you chose each item individually, or chose add-on's to the 5 packages. I just used the page to find out where the car I wanted was located. I don't have the patience that some of you have.
Prior to ordering my special order ES300h, I went on the old build sheet and when building the es with the 10,000 dollar options, checked at the top, it listed the Hids as part of the package. I distinctly remembering as I was contemplating if I should buy a fully loaded car or not. I went to the dealer today just to have them pull the bulb. Sure enough it's got the HIDs.
Old 01-22-15, 03:32 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Read my post above. I said that I got all options other than the omitted radio upgrade and the HIDs. I have and use the LDA regularly. And, as I said, the dealer says that there are no HIDs on my vehicle and the ESs on display, that say they had HIDs on their installed options list, are visibly different from my low beam lights. The options list window sticker says: "Lane Departure Alert with Intelligent high-beam headlamps -- $965.00", for this item.

My error on the $1505.00 That was the omitted radio upgrade price. The omitted HIDs were $515.00.

My comments on options & prices are as of when I received my special order ES300h, 09/29/12. I can't speak for today.
Looks like times have changed then
Old 01-22-15, 06:28 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Originally Posted by A320pilot
Prior to ordering my special order ES300h, I went on the old build sheet and when building the es with the 10,000 dollar options, checked at the top, it listed the Hids as part of the package. I distinctly remembering as I was contemplating if I should buy a fully loaded car or not. I went to the dealer today just to have them pull the bulb. Sure enough it's got the HIDs.
I will add this. I ordered mine in June, '12. There were about three, as I recall, major packages available for the UL. And, the lane monitoring said that the HIDs were required with the option. But, as I recall, that verbiage was what caused my concern. If they were required for that option, why wouldn't they have been part of the option. So, as it said that they were required, I took that as guidance and ordered them (but the dealer didn't). Also, after I received the car, I reviewed the on-line ordering (in October, '12) and the ordering sheet option packages still had the same descriptions that I ordered from. Another point is that I previously mentioned that the Long Beach import location also said that the HIDs would be on it, but after they received the vehicle, someone apparently recalled the issue and informed my dealer that the HIDs weren't there, before he received the vehicle. That's when he said that he'd keep the vehicle and re-order, if I wanted. I decided that I wasn't willing to wait in excess of another three months. The HIDs don't contribute to the operation of the LDA, so I don't know why they would really be a requirement for the option in the first place.
Old 01-23-15, 05:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I special ordered my 2013 ES300h UL late August 2012 and look possession January 8 2013. I special ordered the car since I wanted all options and the Adaptive Cruise Control was not a choose-able option in the southeast. The HID headlights were not mentioned on any paperwork so the dealer and myself assumed they were not available with the options I requested. However, when I drove home and saw the, at that time, posts regarding HID, I took a look and I did in fact have HID headlights! I posted photos on this site so others could easily see if they had HID headlights or not.