ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Switching over to Toyota service department now

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 11:25 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Switching over to Toyota service department now

I know there are other threads, but my friends kept asking so posted this on here in case other people are still wondering.

I just got back from my Lexus dealership and paid $197 for the 20k service (synthetic oil change and tire rotation). This is beyond ridiculous! I paid somewhere around $85 for the 15k service which includes tire rotation.

I am all about maintenance of anything mechanical, the house, etc, but this is like throwing money down the toilet and flushing it! I will be checking Toyota for the 25k service. Maintenance on the Lexus isn't rocket science.
Old 01-02-15, 12:53 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I've been driving Lexus vehicles for over 10 years. Other than warranty repairs, I've been using the local Toyota dealer for other work.

The cost of work at the Toyota dealer is generally 1/2 or less what the Lexus dealer charges. For example, a full synthetic oil change for my ES at the Toyota dealer using the same oil and filter that the Lexus dealer uses costs around $71.

Several years ago, the AC line on my GX developed a leak. The Lexus dealer wanted to replace the entire line at a cost of around $1800. The Toyota dealer quoted me $800 for the same job, but the Toyota service adviser suggested that the leak could be taken care by only replacing the fitting where the line was leaking. They replaced the fitting (and stopped the leak) for around $200.

Experiences and cost comparisons like these have convinced me that using the Lexus service department is only wasting lots of money.
Old 01-02-15, 03:40 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I plan to do the same thing. Lexus dealership for me is a round trip of 135 miles, so no need to travel that far and pay way more than what Toyota would charge...my Toyota dealership is 20 miles away. Already told them I'll be bringing it over and they said, "we'll be here!"
Old 01-02-15, 03:45 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Look at the parts they use at the Lexus dealer service centers, they all say "Toyota" on them.

It's the "luxury" brand you're paying a premium for.
Old 01-02-15, 08:45 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Any warranty issues if you get stuff fixed or replaced at a Toyota dealer vs a Lexus dealer, especially if a car is still under the manufacturer warranty? I'm assuming both have the same diagnostic computers and access to the same parts databases. It's ridiculous how expensive Lexus servicing can be when Toyota parts are used. BMW or Mercedes servicing is expensive because they don't have a cheaper brand, whereas Lexus is Toyota-luxe. Same goes for Honda and Acura.
Old 01-03-15, 02:53 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

This is an area where our local Lexus dealership has us by the short hairs.....the same man that owns the lexus dealership also owns the toyota dealership right next door... and the toyota dealership will not service lexus vehicles....
Old 01-03-15, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I also used the dealer, and then Toyota, and then an independent mechanic.

I would bypass Toyota and go straight to a good, Toyota/Lexus knowledgable independent mechanic. The service will be better, it may be even cheaper. I wasn't happy with the "big dealership" feel of the Toyota dealers I tried. If you create a relationship with your independent mechanic that will be of value to you over time. One of the good things about the ES is that mechanically it basically is a Toyota Camry or Avalon, and really anybody can work on it...even a gas station.

If you think about what you were charged by the Lexus dealer though, $90 for the 15k wasn't fair while $197 for the 20k was unfair. Just the synthetic oil to do the change is $55 or so, plus the labor and filter. Plus you get the nice dealership, loaner cars, etc. Wait until yours needs the 30k service, thats where it gets a little crazy. My dealer charges about the same as yours for 15k, 20k, the 25k was about what the 15k was...then they wanted $400 for the 30k and that difference didn't make sense to me so I went back to my independent.
Old 01-03-15, 07:41 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The 30K and 60K services are basically the same as the others except add replacement of the air filter, brake fluid and more thorough inspections of oil, coolant, brake, and fuel leaks and brake lining/rotor inspection. Automatic transmission fluid replacement is not required to maintain the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty according to the 2015 ES350 maintenance guide, but owners who plan to drive long after the warranty expires should have at least part of the fluid changed at 30,000 mile intervals to be assured the transmission will last far beyond 70,000 miles.
Old 01-03-15, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
The 30K and 60K services are basically the same as the others except add replacement of the air filter, brake fluid and more thorough inspections of oil, coolant, brake, and fuel leaks and brake lining/rotor inspection.
Yep, which is why I couldn't swallow it being twice as expensive...
Old 01-04-15, 07:41 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gemigniani
The 30K and 60K services are basically the same as the others except add replacement of the air filter, brake fluid and more thorough inspections of oil, coolant, brake, and fuel leaks and brake lining/rotor inspection. Automatic transmission fluid replacement is not required to maintain the 70,000 mile powertrain warranty according to the 2015 ES350 maintenance guide, but owners who plan to drive long after the warranty expires should have at least part of the fluid changed at 30,000 mile intervals to be assured the transmission will last far beyond 70,000 miles.

I plan to keep this car beyond 200k miles and am used to changing the transmission fluid every 30k. I thought Lexus recommended checking it at 60k on this car? I will surely change it at 30k if you guys recommend it.

Anyone here change their transmission fluid at Toyota? Also, I have heard reports of Lexus and Toyota not wanting to change transmission fluid at 30k or other short intervals -anyone else encounter this or is the procedure to change it tedious and difficult?
Old 01-06-15, 02:32 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by AircraftX
I plan to keep this car beyond 200k miles and am used to changing the transmission fluid every 30k. I thought Lexus recommended checking it at 60k on this car? I will surely change it at 30k if you guys recommend it.

Anyone here change their transmission fluid at Toyota? Also, I have heard reports of Lexus and Toyota not wanting to change transmission fluid at 30k or other short intervals -anyone else encounter this or is the procedure to change it tedious and difficult?

When my Toyota Avalon had about 50K on it, I asked at what point should I consider having the transmission fluid changed... I was told at 100,000 miles.

Poppa
Old 01-06-15, 10:37 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AircraftX

The service schedule/manual for the 350 says "inspect transmission fluid" at the 30K service and every 30K after that. There is no specific schedule for actually replacing it.

The service schedule/manual for the 300h says "Inspect transmission for signs of leakage" at the 30K service and every 30k after that. Again, there is no specific schedule for actually replacing it.
Old 01-06-15, 11:11 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

I understand there is no interval to replace the transmission fluid. But what I'm saying is that we all know this is probably not true. There is no such thing as "lifetime fluid." In another internal Toyota/Lexus document, it says the transmission fluid is rated for 100k miles. Well, that is not lifetime at all since our cars will last well beyond 100k miles. There are many contradictory statements here concerning the transmission fluid. I want my car to last beyond 200k miles and trying to see who else is like me and need to do proper maintenance on the fluid.
Old 01-06-15, 11:32 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

For warranty's sake, be sure to get registered into the Lexus Drivers website and enter the repair data into your car's service history.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

In case any warranty repair needs to be done at the stealership, they can access the repair/maintenance history from this website/Lexus network.
Old 01-06-15, 11:40 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spg times

every dealership has a labor pricing guide they go off of to quote labor times for jobs.
some call it SPG time. aka service pricing guide. Ask to see this with your quote. luxury car dealerships tend to charge more because they feel like they can charge what the market will bear.
this is a practice no one wants you to know. I have seen service writers charge ridiculous times for jobs. Dont get taken!

Quick Reply: Switching over to Toyota service department now