ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

LED puddle lights and door courtesy

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 04:58 PM
Mrjosef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED puddle lights and door courtesy

What is the best LED choice to replace the halogen bulbs?
I don't want that much brightness. I'm looking for soft white LEDs that match up with the daytime running lights and the license plate color temperature.
Old 12-22-14, 07:15 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Latest thread on that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es350-and-es300h-2013/765737-led-conversion-lighting-for-interior-spaces.html

I haven't found any cheap "soft white" bulbs with a 4200-5000 K color temperature to match existing LEDs and DRLs. My 6000 K LEDs are brighter and colder than stock... Maybe someone with more knowledge could track the part numbers for the footwell, rearview mirror and license plate LEDs to see what Lexus are actually using.
Old 12-23-14, 03:51 PM
Mrjosef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chromedome
Latest thread on that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...or-spaces.html

I haven't found any cheap "soft white" bulbs with a 4200-5000 K color temperature to match existing LEDs and DRLs. My 6000 K LEDs are brighter and colder than stock... Maybe someone with more knowledge could track the part numbers for the footwell, rearview mirror and license plate LEDs to see what Lexus are actually using.
Thank you. I think I will go with 4200-5000 K even it they are not cheap. Any recommendations to find good quality bulbs?
Old 12-23-14, 03:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I used these in the puddles and door panels in the Lexus models I've had.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe.../5k-4-hpf.html
Old 12-23-14, 06:31 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Those VLED bulbs look great, a lot more expensive than mine but the color temps and build quality are better. I would go for the 5000 K high power flank bulbs for the door lights because the bulbs slot in sideways, whereas I'd go for the downward firing bulbs for the rest.

One more bit of weirdness: I had to install a third party reverse camera because my basic package didn't have one, and the installer replaced one license plate LED with a 6000 K unit. The original one looks warm white, the aftermarket one is slightly blueish.
Old 12-23-14, 06:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Those VLED bulbs look great, a lot more expensive than mine but the color temps and build quality are better. I would go for the 5000 K high power flank bulbs for the door lights because the bulbs slot in sideways, whereas I'd go for the downward firing bulbs for the rest.

One more bit of weirdness: I had to install a third party reverse camera because my basic package didn't have one, and the installer replaced one license plate LED with a 6000 K unit. The original one looks warm white, the aftermarket one is slightly blueish.
VLEDS has been going crazy with pricing the last few months.
Got to google for a promo code.

The flanks fire down pretty much in the puddles.
I like going with 5K in all my changeovers.I like bright white without a hint of blue tint..
Old 12-23-14, 07:27 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

A bit cheap, meself, paid 15 bucks for 10 bulbs Paying $15 for one bulb means paying over $200 for the whole car. Anyway I'll keep looking for cheap 4500-5000 K LEDs. If anyone has access to dealer tech manuals, can you find out the specs of the stock LED lights?
Old 12-23-14, 07:57 PM
Mrjosef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I used these in the puddles and door panels in the Lexus models I've had.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbe.../5k-4-hpf.html
Thank you. Any chance of pictures to see how they look at night
Old 11-09-15, 05:35 PM
jbm79
Driver

Tackled on the LED swap on the puddle lights this past weekend. I used a generic 5MD LED light, and I am happy with the outcome.

LED puddle lights (from total darkness)
Old 11-09-15, 08:00 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent job. It took me an hour to do both mirrors and I sliced a finger while trying to pry the glass off. Quite a nightmare, I hope the LEDs last a few years so I don't have to open up the mirrors again.
Old 11-09-15, 10:58 PM
jbm79
Driver

An hour on the swap sounds about right. I was almost certain the amount of force needed to pry off the glass would break it, but luckily it didn't *whew!*

One weird thing: I found a stretchy, Teflon-like material that was sticking on the glass part and the white plastic part, but they're not even on the clamp/contact point. I wonder what that's for?
Old 11-10-15, 11:53 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I found the sticky stuff on my mirrors too. My theory is its some sort of vibration absorber in case the clips get loose??
Old 11-11-15, 07:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

The mirror lights turned out really well JBM. Next time you get to the east coast stop by... Nice job...
Old 12-24-15, 07:32 AM
bchen87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbm79
Tackled on the LED swap on the puddle lights this past weekend. I used a generic 5MD LED light, and I am happy with the outcome.

LED puddle lights (from total darkness)

What bulb model # are these for the puddle lights? As well as the door panel?
Old 02-21-17, 10:00 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my LED bulbs (T10 wedges) and replaced the front and rear headliner lights. I used an old gift card to gently prise open the plastic lens. They're 6000 K lights, 1.5 W with 6 chips, a bit brighter than stock and a lot whiter. They're not distracting at night but I should have gone for a warmer color temperature because the car now feels very clinical.

I haven't done the door courtesy lights because I can't get the lens separated from the bulb housing. I'll keep the stock vanity mirror bulbs unless I can get 4500 K LEDs.
Latest thread on that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...or-spaces.html

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I would like to hear if anyone has been able to identify the specification of the Lexus stock LED used in the foot well, rearview mirror, license plate, ambient lighting and instrument cluster? Alternatively, has anyone found any reasonably priced aftermarket T10 wedge bulb that is a perfect match in color temperature to those stock LED bulbs?

I have replace all my halogen T10 bulbs with aftermarket ones more than once. The reason I kept replacing them is because I have yet to find one that is a reasonable match in color temperature with the stock LEDs. Most of them are either too bluish or too greenish. They appear white when viewed alone, but when installed inside the cabin, the contrast between the aftermarket ones and the instrument cluster can be quite obvious and it can get quite annoying.

Amazon sent me an email this morning informing me of a discount on some of the Philips T10 bulbs but I am quite hesitant to get them as they are specified as 6000K. I am afraid I may not be happy with it either. I already have a bag full of unused cheap T10 wedge LED bulbs!

Quick Reply: LED puddle lights and door courtesy