ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

May be getting a 15 ES 350 for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 08:35 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default May be getting a 15 ES 350 for Christmas

I currently have a 13 RX 350 that may soon become my hubby's car. He wants to get me a new car for Christmas and I'm seriously considering the ES 350.
I am a bit nervous about going from a SUV to a car again. I was wondering if anyone out there has made this kind of move? I also welcome any thoughts on the new ES.
Old 11-25-14, 08:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My wife went from a car (Acura TSX) to an SUV (Lexus RX350) and I went from a truck (Toyota Tacoma 4x4) to a car (Lexus IS350) and we're both happy! The move from the truck (and a 4Runner before it) to a car was easier than I thought. Having a car and an SUV at our disposal is really the best of both worlds!

Good luck in your decision.
Old 11-25-14, 11:37 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Slightly dissenting view, how about an ES300h? It'll have much better fuel consumption, it won't lose much performance to an ES350 and cruising silently in hybrid mode is delicious fun. Coming from an old RX350 I prefer the ES' driving position and handling although the cargo capacity is a lot less, especially on the ES300h with the battery pack taking up trunk space.
Old 11-26-14, 01:41 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Having a car and an SUV at our disposal is really the best of both worlds!
Have to agree with that... I'm not much of a truck or suv guy, but we needed something to pull the boat - so in 2010 we bought a new 4-runner... just now ( going on 5 years later ) hit 30K miles, so it should be around awhile... that's actually my wife's vehicle.. I drive the es 350 and love it... and as stated above, it's nice having the best of both worlds....
Old 11-26-14, 07:57 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

My wife switched from a car to an SUV back in 2000 and has never looked back.. She would much rather drive an SUV than a car. Every time her SUV lease is coming to an end I will joke with her about getting a car this time and she gives me "the look"..

OP- Does your husband drive a car or SUV? The reason I ask is because if he drives a car, before you make the switch maybe you should drive your husbands car for week to see how you like and adjust to it.

Last edited by JT4; 11-26-14 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 08:48 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in a similar position. The wife has been driving a SUV for over 15 years now (RX, then Gx then Highlander) and now that the kiddos are older with one in college, she doesn't need all that space any longer so she is considering moving to an SUV. My wife is only 5-foot tall so her #1 thing is being able to see well from the driving position and the SUV has given her that all these years. I had a BMW 750iL that she HATED to drive because she "could not see over the hood" very well. In truth, it was HUGE so I can understand her position. We are down to either the ES300h or the (not yet released) NX300h and the majority of that will be based on how the NX "feels" when it finally does become available.
Old 11-26-14, 08:05 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks all for your thoughts.
JT4, no, he drives a Tundra but loves the features on my RX like the park assist and blindspot monitor. I have been admireing my neighbors new ES for awhile so he made me the offer.
I do love driving the RX, I've driven nothing else for 10 years.
Yes, chromedome, the 300h is also in the running. Have to check out the features and see what's a good fit.
Guess I'll take an ES for a test drive and see. I'll be disappointed if I don't like it.
Old 11-27-14, 05:40 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a Tundra as my primary vehicle for four years, and had other trucks before that. But I got tired of paying for that much fuel.... In 2008 I bought my first hybrid car (a Camry), and replaced it with an ES300h earlier this year.

But, I kept the truck. I keep it plugged into a battery tender, put fuel-preservative in the gas, and use it every few weeks. There are some things that just don't fit in the trunk of a car, and some other things are just too dirty or messy.

It doesn't cost much to keep an extra vehicle insured... and it sure comes in handy when one of the cars is in the shop.
Old 11-27-14, 05:43 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by roxy208
Thanks all for your thoughts.
JT4, no, he drives a Tundra but loves the features on my RX like the park assist and blindspot monitor. I have been admireing my neighbors new ES for awhile so he made me the offer.
I do love driving the RX, I've driven nothing else for 10 years.
Yes, chromedome, the 300h is also in the running. Have to check out the features and see what's a good fit.
Guess I'll take an ES for a test drive and see. I'll be disappointed if I don't like it.
If your husband has a truck but wants to switch to your RX, why not just get another RX instead of an ES? It may sound crazy to have two of the same vehicles, but whats the difference if that is what will make the both of you happy.

Another suggestion.. Ask you your Lexus dealer if they will allow you an extended test drive on the ES. Some dealers will allow you to keep a car for a couple of days.. My MB and Acura dealers have allowed me in the past to keep a vehicle over the weekend for an extended test drive.

Doesn't hurt ask. Good Luck.

Last edited by JT4; 11-27-14 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-27-14, 07:35 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

JT4, I like the choice of cars in your stable. Two divergent types of vehicles that cover about all moods and purposes!
Old 11-27-14, 01:21 PM
Vincent05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I were in the same boat, she was driving a 05 MDX I bought new for her. She still loves it but the amount we spend on gas was killing us. We both travel 55-60 miles 5 days a week and I have a 4X4 Tacoma. I approached her on getting a hybrid, she test drove the RX back in May but didn't like how it felt. So I ask if she would mind driving a car again as she has been driving a SUV since 2000. We test drove a few different models, a Civic, Corolla and the Es 300h. And guess which one she wanted lol.

She was worried about driving in snow with the ES but I told her if it snows she can still take the MDX instead. She now loves the ES. It's always good to have options for different kinds of cars and SUVs in the family.
Old 11-28-14, 09:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I did make that move about 10 years ago. We have a Jeep now and my wife drives it, so I go back and forth. I had a nice Ford Explorer Limited before I got my 03 ES.

Some things I miss about the SUV, mostly the higher seating position and not having to think about parking curbs or driveway aprons or things like that. I like the ride of a sedan, I like the handling.

With that said, a lot of these crossovers are very car like, and they combine a lot of what I like about both types of rides. I like having my sedan for work, and the SUV for trips and weather and such. But, my wife is actually pregnant with twins and we will likely replace her Jeep with a minivan. I'm tempted to drive some nice SUVs and see if I would be happy with one as my daily. Our Jeep is a little too heavy for that, although I like it a lot. Thinking about a Range Rover Sport.

In any event, do you really value the high seating position and go anywhere nature of an SUV? Because really aside from that the ES and the RX ride very similarly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-28-14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-29-14, 09:42 AM
txes
Lead Lap

We've got a 2013 ES350 and a 2014 RX350.

Although the RX is sorely missing convenience features found on the ES, it rides every bit as well as the ES.

My wife won't go back to a passenger car.
Old 11-29-14, 02:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
We've got a 2013 ES350 and a 2014 RX350.

Although the RX is sorely missing convenience features found on the ES, it rides every bit as well as the ES.

My wife won't go back to a passenger car.
Out of curiosity, what features is the RX missing?
Old 11-29-14, 03:53 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Out of curiosity, what features is the RX missing?
Three blink turn signals
One touch setting for dual climate control
No cross traffic alert
No touch lock/unlock area on rear door handles

Little things you get used to and wonder why your more expensive Lexus doesn't have them.

Quick Reply: May be getting a 15 ES 350 for Christmas