ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES F-Sport??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 08:17 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default ES F-Sport??

Just a question.. Has anyone heard of an F-Sport version of the ES on the horizon?? I could swear I read about it somewhere and of course now can't find anything about it here or on the web.

Thanks
Old 10-29-14, 08:35 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't heard of anything but I can't see how a front wheel drive F-sport vehicle of nearly the same size and weight as the rear wheel drive GS would make any sense. The ES has never been a sport vehicle and people who usually want the ES over the GS are not that interested in that kind of performance over creature comforts. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-29-14, 10:13 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by atoyota
I haven't heard of anything but I can't see how a front wheel drive F-sport vehicle of nearly the same size and weight as the rear wheel drive GS would make any sense. The ES has never been a sport vehicle and people who usually want the ES over the GS are not that interested in that kind of performance over creature comforts. Just my thoughts.
I can understand what you're saying but a CT200 Hybrid doesn't make sense yet Lexus makes one..
Old 10-29-14, 10:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Both good points. When you think of the demographics of the typical ES buyer, maybe Lexus doesn't see too big of a market for an ES F Sport. OTOH, they offer it in the RX, but maybe enough of a difference in buyers to make it worthwhile.
Old 10-29-14, 10:42 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both good points. When you think of the demographics of the typical ES buyer, maybe Lexus doesn't see too big of a market for an ES F Sport. OTOH, they offer it in the RX, but maybe enough of a difference in buyers to make it worthwhile.
Exactly, although the RX is a great vehicle my wife never liked it until the RX F-Sport became available and now she has one..

After more thought maybe I was mixing up a possible ES F-Sport with what I read here about the Lexus "Crafted Line"..

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t-2015-models/

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature.../photo_02.html
Old 10-29-14, 02:51 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

Man I wish they did but it's the bread n butter for Lexus so maybe to test the market with a aggressive set up for sema ? And just watch how receptive it gets
Old 10-30-14, 05:05 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boomin
Man I wish they did but it's the bread n butter for Lexus so maybe to test the market with a aggressive set up for sema ? And just watch how receptive it gets
I agree with you in regards to it being their "bread and butter". But so is the RX and Lexus made an F-Sport version so why not an ES?

Lexus should of course keep the "bread and butter" models of the ES and just add the F-Sport package. It certainly wouldn't hurt sales since the traditional ES buyer could still get the car they want. But it could pull in some new customers who maybe never considered an ES before.

Just a thought.
Old 10-30-14, 06:15 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll take an ES F-sport if it is AWD.
But purely for cosmetics?

No.
Old 10-30-14, 06:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bootman

No.
Fair enough...

I was thinking a little stiffer suspension like in the RX which has a nice balance between comfort and handling. Maybe the 8 spd trans also from the RX F-Sport, larger tires and model specific wheels and interior appointments..

But yes, AWD would be nice..

Last edited by JT4; 10-30-14 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 06:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bootman

No.
You bring up a good point. I wonder if we'll ever see an AWD ES? As long as its platform is shared with the Avalon, probably not unless it's offered on both somewhere down the road.

If AWD is needed there is the IS (250 and 350) and GS and both offer F-Sport..
Old 10-30-14, 06:57 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You bring up a good point. I wonder if we'll ever see an AWD ES? As long as its platform is shared with the Avalon, probably not unless it's offered on both somewhere down the road.

If AWD is needed there is the IS (250 and 350) and GS and both offer F-Sport..
I'm only looking at the AWD option purely from a performance advantage point of view vs poor weather advantages.

Those are more choice of rubber vs mechanicals.

The more I think about it why would lexus make a AWD F-Sport ES?
It would just cut into the GS sales which gives them a potentially higher profit margin.
(not sure of this one. Maybe the ES is a higher profit model)

Last edited by bootman; 10-30-14 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 07:26 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
... a little stiffer suspension like in the RX which has a nice balance between comfort and handling. Maybe the 8 spd trans also from the RX F-Sport, larger tires and model specific wheels and interior appointments...
Sounds a lot like a GS to me.
Old 10-30-14, 08:52 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by atoyota
Sounds a lot like a GS to me.
OK?? except the GS costs more..

For arguments sake lets just use MSRP's. A GS350 F-Sport lists for $54K, a $5,700 premium over a GS350.. Hypothetically speaking assuming the same upcharge of approx $5,700 for an ES F-Sport we're looking at an MSRP of $43K-$44K to start. That's a $10K difference.

This lower entry price just may bring new customers into Lexus as the other F-Sport models have..

Again, I'm not saying to eliminate any of the current ES models... All I was saying is why not add an F-Sport model to the ES line. You get to keep your hybrid and luxury models while adding a sportier model to the mix.. You may not have interest in it but I am sure others would.
Old 10-30-14, 12:29 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Sounds ok to me. While I'm not interested in track improvements like stiffer shocks, stickier tires, etc, I would be interested in performance boost. I'm not going to race anybody in an ES, but I'd like to have a little more passing power. Maybe an intake/exhaust improvement? Or even a turbo?
Old 10-30-14, 01:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The Avalon is coming out with a Touring Sport Edition. Only 2,500 to be made. It appears to only be cosmetic additions. Other than that grill, not bad looking IMO.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...announced.html

Quick Reply: ES F-Sport??