Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation and verbal commands

How is the Navigation and verbal commands on the 2014 ES350? My 2011 not
so good! Feedback please!
Old 08-16-14, 02:30 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I have a '13 350 and IMO the voice command system needs a lot of work. Not so much the Nav system which works fine once you get the destination into it. I believe that the '13 and '14 Lexus systems are identical. I also have a '14 Honda with Nav and voice command and its worse...really bad.
Old 08-16-14, 03:11 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I have a '13 350 and IMO the voice command system needs a lot of work. Not so much the Nav system which works fine once you get the destination into it. I believe that the '13 and '14 Lexus systems are identical. I also have a '14 Honda with Nav and voice command and its worse...really bad.

Yep. I agree that the voice command system on the ES leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think that I mumble, but it seems that, more often than not, the system thinks that I am saying something other than what I am actually saying. Also, the number of commands that it is capable of recognizing is somewhat limited. Even with entering an address into the navigation system, you need to use the voice command system together with cycling through on-screen prompts to enter the state, city, street, etc. I've found that the best way that I can make use of the voice command system, whether it be for the navigation system, audio system, climate control system, or anything else, is to avoid using it. Not only is it faster not to use it, but it is less frustrating.
Old 08-16-14, 06:14 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

That is depressing!
Old 08-16-14, 06:25 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
Yep. I agree that the voice command system on the ES leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think that I mumble, but it seems that, more often than not, the system thinks that I am saying something other than what I am actually saying. Also, the number of commands that it is capable of recognizing is somewhat limited. Even with entering an address into the navigation system, you need to use the voice command system together with cycling through on-screen prompts to enter the state, city, street, etc. I've found that the best way that I can make use of the voice command system, whether it be for the navigation system, audio system, climate control system, or anything else, is to avoid using it. Not only is it faster not to use it, but it is less frustrating.
I have a 2011 ES ...what can I say, the Navigation system doesn't always take me
where I want to go, I use it to know what street I'm on. And if I'm going somewhere
new, I copy the Mapquest directions! And don't get me started on voice commands! 😥😰😱
Old 08-16-14, 06:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
I have a 2011 ES ...what can I say, the Navigation system doesn't always take me
where I want to go, I use it to know what street I'm on. And if I'm going somewhere
new, I copy the Mapquest directions! And don't get me started on voice commands! ������
You ever use eDestination (subscription based)? It works like a charm. You can find destinations on your computer and send them to the car. Also, with Destination Assist you can call them in-car, tell them where you want to go, and they'll send the destination right to the car.

When I had my 2010 I kept the subscription because the voice recognition was so bad and hard to work with.
Old 08-16-14, 08:45 PM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started using an iPod in my 2014 ES300h, and the voice controls do work ok. Only thing is you have to say "Play Music", before being able to say "Play Song <name of song>". Very strange it is a 2 step method. Then you have to confirm the selection. So after 3 steps, you finally get to listen to your song.
Old 08-16-14, 09:08 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You ever use eDestination (subscription based)? It works like a charm. You can find destinations on your computer and send them to the car. Also, with Destination Assist you can call them in-car, tell them where you want to go, and they'll send the destination right to the car.

When I had my 2010 I kept the subscription because the voice recognition was so bad and hard to work with.
Question...can I find the route I want from Mapquest or Google and then send it to my
Navigation system? Please extrapolate!
Old 08-17-14, 06:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2

Voice recognition is still lacking according to the many negative posts here on CL. For this reason, I think that Lexus should either provide FREE Destination Assist or at least reduce the subscription price. (I'm not optimistic...) I, for one, do not subscribe due to the cost and infrequent use.
Old 08-17-14, 05:58 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Voice recognition is still lacking according to the many negative posts here on CL. For this reason, I think that Lexus should either provide FREE Destination Assist or at least reduce the subscription price. (I'm not optimistic...) I, for one, do not subscribe due to the cost and infrequent use.
That is an excellent suggestion. Last I heard it was $20 per month... Is that about right?
Old 08-18-14, 09:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

That is an excellent suggestion. Last I heard it was $20 per month... Is that about right?
I'm not sure, but I think you're very close to being correct. Somewhere around $265.00 per year...
I'm in at $10.00 per month...LOL
Old 08-18-14, 03:27 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

I'm not sure, but I think you're very close to being correct. Somewhere around $265.00 per year...
I'm in at $10.00 per month...LOL
Confused... I thought you paid the premium every year ... Are you saying that it doesn't
go up from year to year so your grandfathered in at that price forever? Or are you pulling my leg?

Do you have any experience with Enform regarding sending the driving directions from
your computer to the car Navigation System? One huge problem I have is that the
directions I get from the Nav System aren't always accurate. If I could actually send
the driving directions from a different web page e.g., mapquest, etc. I would be willing to pay the annual
premium!!!

Feedback please!!
Old 08-19-14, 01:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Confused... I thought you paid the premium every year ... Are you saying that it doesn't
go up from year to year so your grandfathered in at that price forever? Or are you pulling my leg?

Do you have any experience with Enform regarding sending the driving directions from
directions I get from the Nav System aren't always accurate. If I could actually send
the driving directions from a different web page e.g., mapquest, etc. I would be willing to pay the annual
premium!!!

Feedback please!!
I inadvertently confused you with a little joke stating that I'm in at $10.00 per month. I WISH it was $10.00 a month. The current price is $264.90 for one year, first year is free. Sorry. I have no experience with sending directions via PC, phone, Ipad, mapquest, etc.
Old 08-19-14, 01:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

premium!!!

Feedback please!!
As far as I know, MapQuest doesn't have send to car capability. Google maps does, but your car's system has to be compatible with it (only certain manufacturers are). We have it in our Audi and it works very well - Seamlessly. I used Lexus' send to car functions (eDestination & Destination Assist) in our 2010 all the time, and the subscription was worth it to me since the voice command left a lot be desired. If you were to call the Lexus 800 number for those services, I'm sure you'd find them to be very helpful explaining the services, how they work, the costs etc. They are customer service friendly.

If your map's directions aren't working too well, check and see how the routing is set up. You have a selection of the shortest route, fastest route and one other that escapes me. If it is set for something different than the way you want, it may just be a quick change of preference.
Old 08-19-14, 02:20 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thought I would put my 2 cents in. I think the voice recognition for the Navigation is great. I had a 2010 Infiniti, and the 2013 Lexus VR is superior to that. It is faster and recognizes commands better. That is not to say that sometimes it cannot decode a number that I am saying for an address. For instance, last week I wanted 129 for a building address, and it could not recognize it so I said 130 which it did recognize. I learned to compensate for that. But I do think it is more accurate and faster to input than my Infiniti was

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation and verbal commands