ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Brake oil change every 32,000km

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 06:52 AM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shmee
32k km in Canada is about what the average person drives in 2-3years, so it doesn't sound all that out of whack to me, Canadians typically do not commute as far as Americans do due to less urban sprawl.
Ho really? I agree that Canada is such a small country, everything is close by. I even wonder why we buy car, we could go everywhere on our farm tractors and in the winter with our sled dogs...

Here a picture of me going to work last winter:

On an other topic (not really, but I just don't want to get angry), I have 7000km done in 2 months, so I will change the brake more than once a year, I think it's abusive. Most people here that I know who work in Montréal and live outside the city drive between 30,000km and 40,000km per year. If the brake oil only need to be change because of time, they should have put a time limit not a number of km and guess what people do per year.

But yeah, when I use my sled dogs in winter, as everybody have some here, my car stay on the side the dirt road for all the winter.

Here a picture of my village:

Last edited by Amphibulus; 08-17-14 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-17-14, 09:05 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's amazing!
I used to sled into work during the winter too, until my sled team was stolen by a bunch of thieving Quebecers looking to support their Poutine and smoking addictions. Sadly, and as is common when sled teams are stolen by Quebecers, the thieves had gotten so blasted on curds and gravy, they had their way with the dogs before a local Eskimo tribe found them. Poor dogs became so skidish around people they had to be put down. And in a cruel twist of fate, their meat and skins were purchased by the local BQ party office for a Poutine and smoking festival!?

That's why I now instictively feed Quebecers missinformation about brake fluid change intervals!

Revenge IS a dish best served cold!

Old 08-17-14, 09:37 AM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
That's why I now instictively feed Quebecers missinformation about brake fluid change intervals!
That's explain it all

Back on topic, I guess I will have to perform those brake oil change for warranty purpose anyway. Or maybe I will simply change the oil in the master cylinder and do it myself.
Old 08-17-14, 02:34 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
For those who think brake fluid changes are unnecessary and just a profit center for the dealer, consider that Hyundai had a recall on the Genesis because the factory installed brake fluid did not provide sufficient corrosion protection: http://blog.caranddriver.com/hyundai...-fluid-recall/
I don't think anyone suggested that they are unnecessary but rather that the interval required in Canada is too short.
Old 08-18-14, 12:22 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was being serious, just change it every 2 years and ignore the mileage intervals.
The average Canadian drives anywhere from 12-18k km per year (12,000-18,000km for the slow people) based on dealer and insurance data. So 32k km per service (32,000km for the slow people) works out to be about 2-3 years. Not a crazy interval for MOST people.

Again, I would ignore this mileage interval and stick to the system flush every 2 years... This is a standard industry practice and suggested interval for brake fluid changes/flush. BUT, if you are driving 30-40k/year, you should not be surprised with the extra cost of more frequent services on your car.

But what do I know, I only have 15years as a licensed automotive technician, almost 20years in the industry, worked for professional race teams and own my automotive service&performance business... Wtf could I possibly add to this scholarly discussion?
Old 08-21-14, 02:16 PM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Ok, Thanks Shmee, I will follow your recommendation.
Old 12-11-18, 03:36 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say change at least every 2 years or at least have them bled since the worst of the fluid is near the brake calipers.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and takes on water making the fluid more compressible, lowering performance and feel, and its also more prone to damage or corrode brake components.

I would say the interval also depends on how intensely they are used, i.e. how hot you tend to get your brakes. More intense use means changing more often.