Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Oil change on the ES300H

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 11:21 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change on the ES300H

My significant other's es300h is due for an oil change. Has anyone changed the oil on the 300h yet? Pretty straight forward? How many quarts did you use?
Old 07-24-14, 05:28 AM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

On a 350 you need a special socket for the oil filter just like any other v6/8 Toyota/Lexus, other than that it's pretty straight forward. I believe the 350 ask for 6.4 quarts but I normally add 5.5 - 6 quarts because it reaches the dip stick fill level. Just double check the dip stick the next morning, remember it's easier to add oil than to drain some.
I have access to AllData online repair manual so I double check on instruction and amount of oil it requires for the 300H later today and get back to you on here.
Old 07-24-14, 06:16 AM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears that you will need a special socket/wrench to remove oil filter on a 300H and it only takes 4.6 quarts of 0w-20.
The following users liked this post:
ISUringman (03-19-21)
Old 07-24-14, 09:34 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've changed mine 3 times now. I jack it up with a jack and jack stand. Then crawl under it. The filter and drain plug are just right there. No covers to take off. I bought the filter wrench on Sewell's website. While it will work, it gets stuck every time I use it. I either have to use channel locks or a hammer to remove the wrench from the filer housing. Other than that, I have had no troubles. I put 4 quarts in it, then use the dip stick to fill it just right. You shouldn't have to use much more than 4 quarts.
Old 07-24-14, 09:48 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

thanks guys. I'm sure I have the filter socket since I come from a family full of lexus/toyota, is/rx/gs/prius. hopefully one of them will fit. lol
Old 07-24-14, 10:30 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No wonder I can't see the filter from the top. Do you replace the whole filter, or just the cartridge media on the ES300h?
Old 07-24-14, 10:45 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I've changed mine 3 times now. I jack it up with a jack and jack stand. Then crawl under it. The filter and drain plug are just right there. No covers to take off. I bought the filter wrench on Sewell's website. While it will work, it gets stuck every time I use it. I either have to use channel locks or a hammer to remove the wrench from the filer housing. Other than that, I have had no troubles. I put 4 quarts in it, then use the dip stick to fill it just right. You shouldn't have to use much more than 4 quarts.
To prevent the filter sticking to the socket I put some thin aluminum foil over the filter before attaching the socket.
ISUringman (03-19-21)
Old 07-25-14, 01:23 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arty101
No wonder I can't see the filter from the top. Do you replace the whole filter, or just the cartridge media on the ES300h?
it's just the cartridge. actually, its the exact same used on the RX350. I ended up using only 4 quarts and it was perfect. Pretty straight forward like any other lexus/toyota. Thanks guys.
Old 07-25-14, 10:52 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Not too messy with a cartridge?
Old 07-25-14, 01:40 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, especially if you use the provided drain plug that comes with the replacement filter.
Old 07-25-14, 02:39 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Good to know.
Old 07-26-14, 11:02 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The EPA "emissions" ratings now include used oil. To reduce those emissions (oil usage), some manufacturers have added devices to detect when the oil viscosity goes too low, and to tell the driver to get the oil changed.... But, also, to reduce those emissions, those same manufacturers push the limits...

Other manufacturers (including Toyota) have not added those meters.. Instead, they just increased the interval. Toyota used to recommend an oil change every 5k miles, for the same basic engine that they now recommend an oil change every 10k miles. I suspect that they are also pushing the limits.... and that a 10k mile oil-change interval really is too long.

Going too long between oil-changes can damage an engine. Worn-out oil causes very rapid wear on the bearing surfaces of the engine. When that happens, the price is many thousands to replace the engine or the whole car. Changing the oil more often also costs money, but only the price of the extra oil changes, and not all at once.

I think I will change mine more often than every 10k miles....
Old 07-26-14, 11:14 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

when does the maintenance required light pop up for this particular model? 5k or 10k?
Old 07-26-14, 12:29 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH

Toyota used to recommend an oil change every 5k miles, for the same basic engine that they now recommend an oil change every 10k miles. I suspect that they are also pushing the limits.... and that a 10k mile oil-change interval really is too long.
When Toyota was recommending a 5000 mile oil change interval for its 3.5 liter V6, it was with the use of conventional motor oil. As far as I know, since recommending the use of full synthetic oil, the recommended oil change interval for this engine has been 10,000 miles. With regard to "pushing the limits", my guess would be that Toyota/Lexus is actually being at least somewhat conservative. Other manufacturers, like BMW, are now using a 15,000 mile oil change interval with full synthetic oil, and I can't imagine that their production tolerances are significantly better than those of Toyota/Lexus or that their recommended oil is that much superior to that of Toyota/Lexus to allow for oil change intervals 50% greater than that of Toyota/Lexus.

Originally Posted by blacksedan
when does the maintenance required light pop up for this particular model? 5k or 10k?
The maintenance required light goes on at 5000 mile intervals, but the recommended maintenance at the intermediate intervals calls only for tire rotations and inspections.
ISUringman (03-19-21)
Old 07-27-14, 07:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I don't believe that Toyota would recommend a 10k oil change if it could even remotely be damaging to their engines or create excessive wear and tear. I'm quite sure that Toyota wishes to maintain their reputation for quality vehicles and happy drivers. Lesz states a good point: If BMW, Audi, and Benz can do 15k changes using full synthetic oil, then Lexus can as well. I changed mine the other day and it was so clean that I had to look twice to read the dipstick. The oil was 10 months old...
NdYAG (01-09-23)

Quick Reply: Oil change on the ES300H