ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Dealer vs Toyota for oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 12:35 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Unless you have an exceptionally generous Toyota dealer, I doubt that they are going to honor the Lexus free service vouchers. If the "dent and ding" package is a warranty from a national company, it might be honored by the Toyota dealer, but, if that warranty was issued by the Lexus dealer, I also doubt that the Toyota dealer (or any other non-Lexus dealer) will honor it.

And, as I said in my earlier post, the voucher for the first service on a Lexus vehicle does not include an oil change even if it is done at a Lexus dealer.
I have already contacted the Toyota dealer, They use Mobile 1 synthetic oil and WILL honor the ding and dent pkg...
Old 07-23-16, 01:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent1944
I have already contacted the Toyota dealer, They use Mobile 1 synthetic oil and WILL honor the ding and dent pkg...
Are you saying that the Toyota dealer is going to give you 2 free oil changes even though Lexus only gives a service voucher for one free oil change? I'm skeptical.

Actually, I'm skeptical about whether the Toyota dealer would give you even one free oil change. When a Lexus dealer honors the voucher for the one free oil change, that dealer gets reimbursed by Lexus for the cost of the oil change just like it would get reimbursed by Lexus for any warranty work. Lexus, however, will not reimburse a Toyota dealer (or any other dealer) for any kind of work. It is hard to imagine that a Toyota dealer would be inclined to give you free service for which they would not be reimbursed by Lexus.

As for the dent and ding repair coverage, I don't know the terms of the policy or who has actually issued it. So, I am not as confident in guessing whether or not the Toyota dealer would honor the policy. If it was issued by a 3rd party and if the Toyota dealer has an agreement with that 3rd party, you would be more likely to be covered with the Toyota dealer. If it was issued by Lexus, I would be skeptical about whether a Toyota dealer would honor it.

In any case, oil changes or any other type of service or repair is likely to cost 1/2 or less at a Toyota dealer than it would cost at a Lexus dealer using the same parts and materials.
Old 07-23-16, 01:16 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

NO...I am NOT saying the Toyota dealer will give me ANY oil changes... Im saying it isnt worth me driving 4 hours round trip to the Lexus dealer to get an oil change whether its free o not. Plus like any car. i can get it changed where ever i choose, not even at a dealer..

Last edited by Brent1944; 07-23-16 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-23-16, 01:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent1944
NO...I am NOT saying the Toyota dealer will give me ANY oil changes... Im saying it isnt worth me driving 4 hours round trip to the Lexus dealer to get an oil change whether its free o not. Plus like any car. i can get it changed where ever i choose, not even at a dealer..
I understand now. I thought that you were saying that the Toyota dealer was honoring the free voucher for oil changes from Lexus.

Like you, I am about 100 mile from the nearest Lexus dealer, and, other than for warranty work, it would not make sense to have any other work done at a Lexus dealer. But, even if I was close to a Lexus dealer, the much higher cost of service at the Lexus dealer would be reason enough for me not to use Lexus dealers for service. The last oil change and tire rotation that I had done for my ES cost me just over $50 at the Toyota dealer (with a coupon for the tire rotation) using the same oil and filter that the Lexus dealer would have used.
Old 07-23-16, 05:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brent- it was good for you to check ahead of time if your local Toyota will honor your ding and dent policy, and will use the right type of oil.
Old 07-23-16, 05:17 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Well I knew they would use Mobile 1 oil. I had a Highlander and they put it in it..
Old 07-21-18, 12:04 PM
Edkoki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60$ at Toyota dealer

I wonder how much cost at Lexus dealer but it is 60$ at Toyota dealer
they may use same synthetic oil but no tire rotation and car wash
Old 07-21-18, 02:00 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

I take my 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 bought at Walmart for $24 and my filter bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $5 use promo code cl5 for a 10% discount to my local Toyota dealer who charges me $25 for labor. Twice a year Mobil runs a $10 rebate on the five quart jug. No mailing all done on line and take about four weeks to get the check. With rebate total for oil change is $44. Not only do I save money bringing my own oil but my local Lexus Service Manager stated that if one comes in and buys oil they get Toyota synthetic manufactured by Mobil. Oil changes there use drums and the oil is an off brand synthetic.
Old 07-22-18, 01:53 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
my local Lexus Service Manager stated that if one comes in and buys oil they get Toyota synthetic manufactured by Mobil. Oil changes there use drums and the oil is an off brand synthetic.
I was told the same thing.. but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting a line of bull so I called Mobil. Turns out that was right, Mobil does make synthetic oil for Toyota / Lexus.. I asked him if it was the same grade of Mobil 1 that I can get at Wal mart or any auto parts store... his answer was kind of vague so I pressed the issue and he said I couldn't get any better than what is on the shelf at walmart or auto parts stores.. He did not say the oil they make for Toyota was of a lesser quality... but he also didn't say it was as good or better than the mobil 1 at your local auto parts store.. since he was kind of non committal on the oil made for toyota, I took that to mean perhaps not quite as good.. that's just my take.. wasn't an issue for me anyway since I have always purchased my oil and filters ahead of time and just take them with me when I get my oil changed.

Roland

Old 07-24-18, 05:15 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've gotten service for an oil change and tire rotation at both a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer within the past 1.5 years.

Prices were about the same. (They are near each other).
Old 07-24-18, 09:56 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

I checked my service history on Lexus Drivers for my 2013 and 2018 ES.

For my 2013 ES, when the dealer received it, they filled the tires with Nitrogen.

They didn't do that for the 2018 ES.
Old 07-25-18, 04:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
I checked my service history on Lexus Drivers for my 2013 and 2018 ES.

For my 2013 ES, when the dealer received it, they filled the tires with Nitrogen.

They didn't do that for the 2018 ES.
Maybe they're learning that people know better by now, than to throw their money away.
Old 07-25-18, 10:23 AM
v27patel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphibulus
Hi,

Ok, so I got my new (well with 10,000km on it) ES 300h and Lexus ask 100$ for an oil change (every 8000km which sound abusive by the way for a car that run on synthetic oil). I went to Toyota for fun, and they ask 52$ for the same oil change (since it's the same engine then a Camry hybrid), they told me it's the same oil and they do the same check up around the car.

So do there is any particular reason to pay 2 times more to get it done at Lexus (which in my case the Toyota is way closer to my place and they are open until 21h00 where Lexus close at 17h00) so it would be more convenient for me to get it done at Toyota.
My cousin used to work at a Lexus and Toyota dealership (he was actually lead technician for a while at the Lexus dealership). He's the one that recommended I take my car to Toyota for regular maintenance stuff like oil changes. They use the exact same stuff that they would at a Lexus dealership. So to answer your question, there is no reason to pay more at a Lexus dealership (unless you need a loaner car or just want to grab some Starbucks coffee while you wait) when you can get the same service at Toyota for a lot less.
Old 07-25-18, 10:12 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
Maybe they're learning that people know better by now, than to throw their money away.
I had never asked them to fill it with Nitrogen. I just noticed that it was done then in 2013, and not now in 2018.

I wouldn't have requested it.
Old 07-25-18, 10:14 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuraman00
I've gotten service for an oil change and tire rotation at both a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer within the past 1.5 years.

Prices were about the same. (They are near each other).
This was for a fully synthetic oil change.

I had gone to the Toyota dealer, because I thought it would be cheaper, but it wasn't.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer vs Toyota for oil change?