ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Dealer vs Toyota for oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-14, 11:33 AM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my car to my Toyota Dealer, thanks for the tip. I end up spending 52$ on the synthetic oil change and 16,95$ to replace both wiper blade. At that price I got an extra pair for the future.

I have hard time understanding that people would be 199$ or even 50$ for wiper blade.
Old 09-21-14, 09:24 PM
qlaval
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphibulus
I took my car to my Toyota Dealer, thanks for the tip. I end up spending 52$ on the synthetic oil change and 16,95$ to replace both wiper blade. At that price I got an extra pair for the future.

I have hard time understanding that people would be 199$ or even 50$ for wiper blade.
The whole wiper vs the wiper blade I suppose...
Old 09-22-14, 12:34 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

This is an interesting thread.... this past weekend I took my Toyota 4 Runner into the local toyota dealership for an oil change and tire rotation... while I was there I had mentioned to the service writer there that I had an es 350 and wanted to know if I brought my lexus to them, what would they charge me for an oil change... I was told that they would NOT service my lexus..( it should be noted here that the toyota dealership and the lexus dealership are both owned by the same man ).. when I asked why they wouldn't service my es I was told it was because lexus techs are specially trained in certain things that toyota techs aren't and vice versa... so then I asked if I owned a chevy and brought it in for an oil change would they do it... she said yes.... interesting, don't you think?

Poppa
Old 09-22-14, 05:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
This is an interesting thread.... this past weekend I took my Toyota 4 Runner into the local toyota dealership for an oil change and tire rotation... while I was there I had mentioned to the service writer there that I had an es 350 and wanted to know if I brought my lexus to them, what would they charge me for an oil change... I was told that they would NOT service my lexus..( it should be noted here that the toyota dealership and the lexus dealership are both owned by the same man ).. when I asked why they wouldn't service my es I was told it was because lexus techs are specially trained in certain things that toyota techs aren't and vice versa... so then I asked if I owned a chevy and brought it in for an oil change would they do it... she said yes.... interesting, don't you think?

Poppa
Since they're owned by the same person, I'm sure they're instructed not to work on a Lexus. If they want to keep their job, that is. If I were you, I'd try a different Toyota dealer in the area.
Old 09-22-14, 09:00 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if the Toyota mechanics treat a Lexus any different since they're seeing a higher end car in their bay that isn't normally serviced there.
Old 09-22-14, 09:43 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Since they're owned by the same person, I'm sure they're instructed not to work on a Lexus. If they want to keep their job, that is. If I were you, I'd try a different Toyota dealer in the area.
Yep, I agree. It's because it's owned by the same person.
Old 09-28-14, 10:30 AM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poppa

Poppa
I use Toyota of Slidell for my 2011 4Runner LTD, asked them about my wifes 2013 ES350, only thing they told me was they wouldn't do "warranty" work on it. ES350 came from Lexus of New Orleans. Actually she's bringing it to Lexus of NOLA on Tuesday, for 20k mile service and warranty work, front sensors are gone out....
Old 10-05-14, 09:09 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Good point on the "warranty" aspect of this question. If you do need WARRANTY work, you would logically HAVE to go to an official Leus dealership so that they can be compensated by corporate.

However, for any and ALL other services, we also used our local Toyota dealership on both our previous Lexus' (the RX300 & the GX470) and it was ALWAYS SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive (and this was some 8 years ago). When we went to trade in the GX on the current HyHi, Toyota gave us a HUGE trade in value for it (essentially Private Party value rather than trade-in) and we were told that was because they knew the vehicle as they had done EVERY service on it up to that point. I have NEVER previously traded in a car and had no intentions on trading in that GX at that time but their PPV after I had already negotiated a satisfactory reduction from MSRP on the HyHi made it a no-brainer.

As you the extra cost for the Lexus service.... they have to pay for those "free" dounuts, snack and coffee and super nice waiting areas in some way, don't they?
Old 10-05-14, 11:50 AM
Vincent05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend started working at a Toyota dealership and told me things I would never have thought would happen. They hire noobs or as he says wackos to do quick lube and stuff. Says some guys sometimes forget to put oil in the car and goes in to start the car up to drive out the bay but then was reminded by another worker that there is no oil in the car. They also will forget to put screws or caps back where it belongs. I have a Tacoma that was getting service there since I bought the truck new 4 years ago. They happen to not put back a plug by the filter and broke off a piece that holds up my cabin air filter. Need to pull the glove compartment to replace the filter.

After hearing that and seeing how my truck was not treated right, I now just do the oil change and maintainace at home. With the money I save, I buy Mobile 1 oil and filter for all my truck and cars.
Old 10-05-14, 01:48 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to do it at home, but you DO have to train your own "pit crew." I've selected my local Walmart and have made a pact with some very capable and willing guys there: they do my car right and they'll get all my oil change business. With me supplying oil (Pennzoil 0W-20), filter kits (Toyota OEM), drain plug gaskets, and tools, they charge me right around $16 and I KNOW the job is done 100% correctly. It's simple, really: you've got to get to know the people you're dealing with and make a mutual commitment to have the job done right.
Old 07-22-16, 03:24 AM
f22boy
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Oil Change

I'm a newbie Lexus owner but I have owned Nissans and Infinitis and noticed the same issue (Inifiniti prices are higher for the same service versus Nissans and the parts are the SAME). With Infinitis the higher price for the SAME service gets U a free loaner, better service, and more amenities (snacks, drinks, FAR better waiting room area). Now......if these things are not important to you then simply do not pay the extra price for them and have the service performed at your local Toyota dealer.......but......they do cost money and that's what you're paying for (better service, more amenities, etc). I have only visited my local Lexus service department once so far.........but.......from my Infiniti service.....WOW!!......the Lexus customer service is FAR superior (in fact........not even close). As I get my first 2 complimentary oil changes (and hopefully synthetic oil is used) with my new car purchase.......I will get more experience with their oil change service.
Old 07-22-16, 05:51 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by f22boy
As I get my first 2 complimentary oil changes (and hopefully synthetic oil is used) with my new car purchase.......I will get more experience with their oil change service.
Just to clarify, with your Lexus, you only get one free oil change. The first complimentary service is only for a tire rotation (and a number of inspections). The second complimentary service includes an oil change, tire rotation, and the inspections.
Old 07-23-16, 06:59 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Just to clarify, with your Lexus, you only get one free oil change. The first complimentary service is only for a tire rotation (and a number of inspections). The second complimentary service includes an oil change, tire rotation, and the inspections.
I just bought my ES350 on July 20th ANY Lexus dealer is over 2 hours from me. I bought it at one in St Louis.. He even told me to take it to the Toyota dealer here as no one will drive 4 hours round trip ..If warranty or recalls, naturally ill go to Lexus dealer. he even included a dent,scratch, ding pkg which included me scrapping the wheels on a curb, Told me to take it to Toyota dealer and show them the paperwork..
Old 07-23-16, 11:07 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well. Lexus offers the first two services for free (1st is tire rotation and vehicle check; 2nd is full synthic oil change, tire rotation and vehicle check). I'm not sure if your local Toyota dealer will honor that, but the most the second service will cost is around $100, and well worth your time, imho. Maybe the Lexus dealer can coordinate with your Toyota dealer for the work?
Old 07-23-16, 11:43 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent1944
I just bought my ES350 on July 20th ANY Lexus dealer is over 2 hours from me. I bought it at one in St Louis.. He even told me to take it to the Toyota dealer here as no one will drive 4 hours round trip ..If warranty or recalls, naturally ill go to Lexus dealer. he even included a dent,scratch, ding pkg which included me scrapping the wheels on a curb, Told me to take it to Toyota dealer and show them the paperwork..
Unless you have an exceptionally generous Toyota dealer, I doubt that they are going to honor the Lexus free service vouchers. If the "dent and ding" package is a warranty from a national company, it might be honored by the Toyota dealer, but, if that warranty was issued by the Lexus dealer, I also doubt that the Toyota dealer (or any other non-Lexus dealer) will honor it.

And, as I said in my earlier post, the voucher for the first service on a Lexus vehicle does not include an oil change even if it is done at a Lexus dealer.

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealer vs Toyota for oil change?