ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Too young?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 07:24 PM
Backspac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Too young?

Hey everyone, I'm turning 18 in July and I am getting an es 300h 2015 when it comes out in september(a deposit has already been placed) . My grandfather offered to get me a car and my parents gave me two restrictions, hybrid for fuel economy and food safety...as a result I narrowed a list down to the Honda accord hybrid, toyota camry hybrid, ford fusion hybrid and es300h. The toyota was too bland, and we had a terrible experience at the two Hondas we tried. In all honesty I loved the ford but there was something about it that gave me headaches every time I test drove it(4 times) as a result I'm "settling" for the lexus. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful car but I feel somewhat awkward driving around in such a nice car that is often considered for the old people. Am I way too young to be driving this?
Old 06-06-14, 08:42 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, you're way too young for this car, and it would be very awkward for you. Get a Mustang or Civic or Dart and call it a day.

We all know you should be in your 50's to have a car like this. You'll be made fun for by your friends. Don't do it.
Old 06-07-14, 05:10 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Backspac
My grandfather offered to get me a car and my parents gave me two restrictions, hybrid for fuel economy and food safety...
Food safety?
I don't get this unless it was maybe a typo?

Hybrids don't always get the best fuel economy and just look up how we get lithium to make batteries.

You want fuel economy get a VW Golf TDI diesel.
Better real world MPG (unless you are hypermiling) than most if not all hybrids currently on the market.
Old 06-07-14, 06:04 AM
Backspac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bootman
Food safety?
I don't get this unless it was maybe a typo?

Hybrids don't always get the best fuel economy and just look up how we get lithium to make batteries.

You want fuel economy get a VW Golf TDI diesel.
Better real world MPG (unless you are hypermiling) than most if not all hybrids currently on the market.
Yeah sorry, I meant "good safety". Bootman, I completely agree with you, the way lithium batteries are made is just terrible for the environment ( I took ap environmental science) and there are a host of reasons as to why one wouldn't get the advertised epa. However, my father is my biggest obstical in this regard. He has his heart set on 40 mpg combined or better and no matter how I explain it to him he refuses to believe that diesel is a good, clean option, or that it is widely available.
Old 06-07-14, 06:11 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Yeah sorry, I meant "good safety". Bootman, I completely agree with you, the way lithium batteries are made is just terrible for the environment ( I took ap environmental science) and there are a host of reasons as to why one wouldn't get the advertised epa. However, my father is my biggest obstical in this regard. He has his heart set on 40 mpg combined or better and no matter how I explain it to him he refuses to believe that diesel is a good, clean option, or that it is widely available.

At 18 (I'm 50 now) I had worked several years at odd jobs and bought my first new car with my own money, so I was the one making all of the the choices.
However, you are lucky in that your family wants to take care of you so if I was in your shoes I would just take what they gave me and thanked them everyday.

Now back to cars....
The only hybrid with a chance at 40 combined would be the Prius if you drive it carefully.
All the others have been proven to get less than advertised MPG by real world testing.
That said how about a ct 200h?
42 combined and with F sport trim, a nice looking car.

Good luck!

Last edited by bootman; 06-07-14 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 06:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As bootman posted,look at the CT200.
IMO,a much better choice for you.
Better MPGs,smaller and sportier.
Old 06-07-14, 06:49 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Dude get the es300h! You'll be a Baller!
Old 06-07-14, 07:30 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No 50 year old can in & out of an IS, so no worry being identified with the older generation
Old 06-07-14, 08:00 AM
Backspac
Driver School Candidate

#bootman #joeb
I almost did pull the trigger on the ct however, my parents felt that the safety(their top priority) on the es was better. Also the 10 second 0-60 was killing me...I don't need a sports car or anything, but really?

#coach1 I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say...

Yea so guys, for all the reasons I've enumerated as well as others such as convienance(both my parents use the same dealer) this car makes the most sense as far as I can see. I guess I'm just kind of interested in knowing what other people think when they see an 18 yr old guy show up in this car...
Old 06-07-14, 08:01 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm turning 18 in July and I am getting an es 300h 2015 when it comes out in september(a deposit has already been placed) . My grandfather offered to get me a car and my parents gave me two restrictions, hybrid for fuel economy and food safety...as a result I narrowed a list down to the Honda accord hybrid, toyota camry hybrid, ford fusion hybrid and es300h. The toyota was too bland, and we had a terrible experience at the two Hondas we tried. In all honesty I loved the ford but there was something about it that gave me headaches every time I test drove it(4 times) as a result I'm "settling" for the lexus. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a wonderful car but I feel somewhat awkward driving around in such a nice car that is often considered for the old people. Am I way too young to be driving this?
My first thought when reading your post was that a forum frequented by ES owners was probably not the best place to ask your question because the typical ES owner is not likely to be too concerned about whether the image of the ES is one that would appeal to young car buyers. As I thought about it a bit more, I recalled that all of the various vehicles that I owned well into my 30s were ones that were either sports cars or, at least, sporty vehicles. I didn't own my first sedan until I was in my mid to late 30s, and I can't imagine that I would have ever considered buying a car like the ES when I was 18 (or even 28).

Like some of the others, the first vehicle that came to mind was the Lexus CT. While it isn't a vehicle that would likely appeal to most typical ES owners, it looks like car that would be fun to own and drive, and it certainly is a whole lot nicer car than most who are 18 are likely to own. If you (or your parents) are committed to a hybrid, even the Prius comes to mind. While the image of the Prius was originally that of a green, but very utilitarian vehicle, Toyota has upped its game in recent years, and, now, the Prius can be bought in more upscale configurations that I would think would have a much wider range of appeal.

#bootman #joeb
I guess I'm just kind of interested in knowing what other people think when they see an 18 yr old guy show up in this car...
Going along with what I said above, I think that what the typical ES owner might think when he/she sees an 18 year old show up in the ES would likely be quite different from what a typical 18 year old might be likely to think when another 18 year old shows up in the ES. And I suspect that you would be significantly more concerned about what another 18 year old might think than you would be concerned about what a typical ES owner might think, which is why I think you would get responses that would be more meaningful to you in a forum frequented by more 18 year olds than you might in a forum frequented by typical ES owners.

Last edited by lesz; 06-07-14 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 08:32 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Yep, you're way too young for this car, and it would be very awkward for you. Get a Mustang or Civic or Dart and call it a day.

We all know you should be in your 50's to have a car like this. You'll be made fun for by your friends. Don't do it.
I should point out that there are plenty of us in our 50's who drive an ES for a comfortable and dependable ride - but also have a "hot" car for fun (in my case a '99 Torch Red Corvette convertible).
Old 06-07-14, 08:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Do some research and find a few compact sedans or coupes that are stylish, safe (good crash test scores) with fuel efficiency close to or better than a hybrid and show them to your dad. You could end up with a car that meets your needs and appeal more to a 18 year old guy. If you have doubts now about being too young for an ES those doubts might not go away if you got one.

Plus, you'd save gramps a few bucks on the purchase.
Old 06-07-14, 09:06 AM
Keiffith
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think its appropriate. mostly because of the age bracket that purchases the cars, and it being a lexus on top the fact you are not financialy responsible for the car.

if your going to have someone purchase a vehicle for you thats brand new it should be as modest as possible, and a 2 door. the advantage of it being a 2 door is you tend to not be everyones taxi when its a pain to get in the back seat. the CRZ is a hybrid, and only $20k.

personaly, i dont like the idea of an 18 year old getting a car thats new, let alone $40k. my first car was a $175 beater i had to fix myself as well as fuel myself, and i learned a lot from it. im not saying dont get a new car, but you should try to be as modest about it as possible.
Old 06-07-14, 09:07 AM
bootman
Intermediate

#bootman #joeb
I almost did pull the trigger on the ct however, my parents felt that the safety(their top priority) on the es was better. Also the 10 second 0-60 was killing me...I don't need a sports car or anything, but really?

#coach1 I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say...

Yea so guys, for all the reasons I've enumerated as well as others such as convienance(both my parents use the same dealer) this car makes the most sense as far as I can see. I guess I'm just kind of interested in knowing what other people think when they see an 18 yr old guy show up in this car...
while the ES hybrid can do sub 10-0-60 just read the threads here and reviews elsewhere.
it can't do 40MPG. while you are stomping the gas. (no hybrid can)
The CT is the same chassis as a prius which was an original choice?
also you should not be talking 0-60 and hybrid in the same breath.
You only get 40MPG when you drive like you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

So it seems that the only choice you can get away with is an ES.
Get that and don't worry what your friends think.
Old 06-07-14, 09:11 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keiffith
i dont think its appropriate. mostly because of the age bracket that purchases the cars, and it being a lexus on top the fact you are not financialy responsible for the car.

if your going to have someone purchase a vehicle for you thats brand new it should be as modest as possible, and a 2 door. the advantage of it being a 2 door is you tend to not be everyones taxi when its a pain to get in the back seat. the CRZ is a hybrid, and only $20k.

personaly, i dont like the idea of an 18 year old getting a car thats new, let alone $40k. my first car was a $175 beater i had to fix myself as well as fuel myself, and i learned a lot from it. im not saying dont get a new car, but you should try to be as modest about it as possible.
I agree.
Lets get his parents in here and talk to them first.

Quick Reply: Too young?