ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

My poor baby! Anyone want to cry with me? Or have advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 12:23 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My poor baby! Anyone want to cry with me? Or have advise?

This morning I was trying to get out the door. There's a hill by my house and cars always go way too fast over it - so I get nervous. The windows were covered with San Diego mist so I rolled down the drivers side window - wiped down my mirror with a towel I keep just for that purpose - and started to back out of the driveway.

I turned too soon and I got my front bumper firmly wedged into the back bumper of my sons car. I had been looking at the backup camera, the mirrors, the back window and everything else and somehow managed to miss seeing the bumper. The front parking sensors that go insane when I park didn't make a sound until it was too late - like when the front bumper was stuck - they suddenly start beeping like crazy.

Lexi is now at a body shop the Insurance recommended. I assume they need a new front bumper since the grill is completely torn. I was actually surprised to see just how thin it was. They said that they will use only Lexus parts since the car is so new. Like 2 1/2 months new.

All my angst about my floormats and if I want to put in a bike rack and what kind of sponge to use while washing her so she stays perfect - and then I go and do this. I'm terrified that they wont put her back together just right with the sensors and all the stuff I could see hooked up into the bumper. I have no idea what I need to check for when I get her back or anything....

**it wont let me edit the title to read advice instead of advise. SORRY!

Last edited by MissyBissy; 03-03-14 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 03-03-14, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

That sucks, but things like that happen. Its worse when its something that you yourself did IMHO.

Not to worry, bumpers are replaced all the time, it'll be fine. The reason its thin is for this very reason. Be sure to check that the paint matches well in several different kinds of light, and that the seams where the bumper meets the fenders all sit flush. Its a little tricky to get a bumper cover lined up just right.

Be thankful it was just the bumper...if it had involved the fender and/or door it would have been much worse...
Old 03-03-14, 01:08 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

The shop just called and said they ordered the piece - and that the paint code is on the VIN whatever that means. They said that the bumper comes unpainted? I'm super nervous about this whole thing.
Old 03-03-14, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the parts always come unpainted, they will pull the paint code but then a good shop will tint the paint to match the car. Every batch of paint is a little different. They'll then paint, wetsand, and buff the bumper cover off of the car, and install everything back properly.

Just be sure that it matches to your satisfaction...if it doesn't don't be afraid to tell them you want it done over again. Pay attention to the areas where the bumper cover meets the hood and fenders.
Old 03-03-14, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a video that shows you basically what they'll be doing:

Old 03-03-14, 01:28 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no Sorry to hear this happened. She'll be fixed and better in no time
Old 03-03-14, 01:38 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I have a 2007 that is on it's 3rd bumper. I lost 1/2 of it to a very large dog on the interstate a few years ago and had a hole punched through it by a trailer hitch last month. Both times the body shop did an excellent job. They used re-manufactured bumpers both times.
Old 03-03-14, 01:42 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear. At least it's only the bumper and not anything structural - t's only cosmetics.
Old 03-03-14, 02:06 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Thank you for the sympathy. It's been a hard day.
Old 03-03-14, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We've all been there! It'll turn out fine, not to worry.
Old 03-03-14, 02:09 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Here's a video that shows you basically what they'll be doing:

How to Paint Plastic - YouTube
OK that's pretty cool. The shop has been around since 1999 and seems to have good reviews and ratings - so I am hoping they know what they are doing.
Old 03-03-14, 02:20 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Most major body shops know what they're doing. And from my experience if the insurance recommends them, then they should back you up if there's a problem. I have AAA if that's who you have in CA.
Old 03-03-14, 04:12 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Oh what a shame... don't you just hate that.... however, damage is minimal and any good body shop can address this without a hitch. I'm sure they'll put it all back together as good as new.... btw, any damage to your son's car?

Poppa
Old 03-03-14, 04:25 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Poppa
Oh what a shame... don't you just hate that.... however, damage is minimal and any good body shop can address this without a hitch. I'm sure they'll put it all back together as good as new.... btw, any damage to your son's car?

Poppa
His bumper has some scratches. He shouldn't have parked so close to the driveway. There was nothing in front of him for 30 feet until the next driveway - why was he so far back???? Our driveway barely fits two cars and there's not a lot of wiggle room.
Old 03-03-14, 06:28 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I bet he won't park so close to the driveway next time, fearing the Wrafth of Mom (a spin on TOS).

Quick Reply: My poor baby! Anyone want to cry with me? Or have advise?