ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Side moldings DIY: is std. location too low to protect from dings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 09:21 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
They only come with wire wheels lol
And Huggy Bear?
Old 03-09-14, 04:19 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by arlinek
Thanks, Poppa. If you had to do it again, would you have the identical placement ... or do you think in hindsight that a little higher up might have been better? I'm just concerned since the normal placement based on Lexus' written directions are below the area of the widest point on the doors.

arline
I think if I had it to do again, I would put them right where they are... tried to visualize them a bit higher and in my opinion I don't think they would look as good... Also there are no door moldings that I know of that will protect your car from dings from every other car makers doors - the reson being too many variations of door widths / angles etc.... a perfect example of that is I've already got a small ding in my passenger side rear door... the ding is located fairly high up, close to the bottom of the door handle... even if the side moldings on my car were placed on the "widest" part of my door, it wouldn't have prevented that ding.... btw, I didn't have the dealer add the moldings to my car.... they were already on it when I first saw the car on the showroom, and truthfully, I liked the car with the moldings better than an identical car on the lot that did not have them.. But I also think the color of the car has a lot to do with the appeal... While I think the moldings look okay on matador red, I have seen a few other colors where in my opinion, the moldings didn't look as good.. but thats just my opinion....take it for what it's worth because that and a quarter wont even get you a cup of coffee. Just sayin...

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 03-09-14 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-09-14, 04:24 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arty101
Not including the $10 fuzzy dice?
don't forget to get rid some spinners!!!!

Poppa
Old 03-10-14, 09:21 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Poppa
I think if I had it to do again, I would put them right where they are... tried to visualize them a bit higher and in my opinion I don't think they would look as good... Also there are no door moldings that I know of that will protect your car from dings from every other car makers doors - the reson being too many variations of door widths / angles etc...
Poppa
I think Lexus are just big truck/suv magnets. I doesn't matter where I park, I always seem to find a big a$$ truck or junker parked really close.
Old 03-10-14, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How 'bout this in front and back?

Old 03-10-14, 10:04 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I like, but do they make one for the side ?
Old 03-11-14, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think Lexus are just big truck/suv magnets. I doesn't matter where I park, I always seem to find a big a$$ truck or junker parked really close.
We have a running gag, the biggest truck in the lot is always parked next to me lol
Old 03-12-14, 02:11 AM
Poppa
Instructor

We have a running gag, the biggest truck in the lot is always parked next to me lol
Man, isn't that the truth! Last summer ( when I was still driving my Avalon ), my wife and I drove up to Branson to take in a couple of shows... when we got to our hotel I parked as far away from every other car as possible... I literally parked on the back row of the back parking lot - there was not another car within 2 full rows of parking spaces..... Next morning I look out the window and there's this junker parked right next to my car... they were the only 2 cars on the entire row..... When I got out to my car about an hour later the other vehicle was gone, but there was a bag full of fast food trash next to my car, and the biggest freaking door ding I ever saw.....Man I was pissed... 30 parking spaces in a row, no other cars on that row and this moron has to park right next to me... I don't get it.

Poppa
Old 03-12-14, 10:29 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Yep, just this weekend, I parked at the In & Out burger joint with lots of room on both sides. Sure enough, a disabled junker pulls right up next to me and swings his door right up to my car. Not sure if the molding helped but no ding. Then he leaves in 10 minutes and a big old pickup with a burly looking guy pulls in and there's hardly room to walk between let alone open his door. After leaving, I checked the door and saw a very small nick (not sure if it's an existing one) on the door up near the mirror.

I tell you, what's up with these people? Obviously, I'm glad I have the door molding for both aesthetic (IMHO) and practical reasons.
Old 03-12-14, 10:31 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Actually, I'm not so sure if this is a gag, but it's sure a joke. Maybe on me .
Old 03-12-14, 12:38 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Actually, I'm not so sure if this is a gag, but it's sure a joke. Maybe on me .
I feel for you Art. I always try to find an end spot. Cuts the probability down by 50%...
Old 03-12-14, 12:42 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Thanks Bob. I always try for an end spot too . If you take the end spot on the far right, there's a good chance the passenger's door will swing open, and I think drivers are "a little" more considerate or at least think when opening their doors. Passenger, on the other hand, especially kids just let it swing wide
Old 03-12-14, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its terrible! People just don't care about other peoples property. Personally, regardless of fear about damaging someone else's car if a car is just all alone and there are plenty of spaces, I wouldn't take one right up against another car just out of the hassle of squeezing in and out. Its like sitting right next to someone in an empty theatre...or using the urinal right next to somebody in an empty bathroom LOL
Old 03-12-14, 02:16 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Its terrible! People just don't care about other peoples property. Personally, regardless of fear about damaging someone else's car if a car is just all alone and there are plenty of spaces, I wouldn't take one right up against another car just out of the hassle of squeezing in and out. Its like sitting right next to someone in an empty theatre...or using the urinal right next to somebody in an empty bathroom LOL
Yeah, never stand next to someone if another urinal is available...really laughing Steve...
Old 03-12-14, 03:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Gad I could help! haha

Quick Reply: Side moldings DIY: is std. location too low to protect from dings?