ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES 350 seat/upholstery issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 03:02 PM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspection Scheduled

I am scheduled to have my seats inspected by a Lexus District Representative on Friday March 14th. Will post the results here.
Old 03-03-14, 08:28 AM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Originally Posted by pherbst
Tom, The dealership's opinion was that this was "normal". I appealed to Lexus Customer Care.
Unbelievable! Imagine what that leather seat will look like in 5 more years. Don't let them off the hook and good luck.

Tom
Old 03-06-14, 08:28 AM
coop37
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem on my 13 ES with 6500 miles on it. Also having problems in the drivers side rear seat. Brought it to the dealers attention and they also said it was normal wear. I have a Mazda CX9 GT with 88,000 miles and the leather looks like new. No way this is normal. What should be my next step?
Old 03-06-14, 01:56 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone have any problem with the nulux interior?
Old 03-07-14, 03:55 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
We have only had our ES350 for three months. We use the heated seats a lot with the nulux interior and have had no problems. I'm not a fan of perforated seats so the leather was out for me.

I hope Lexus steps up and takes care of those with this problem.
Old 03-07-14, 04:10 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

One year and they look like the day I got it.
Old 03-07-14, 07:51 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
One year and they look like the day I got it.
What color? I use to have a MB with their MB text fake leather and it was better then the leather, looks like Lexus got this one right. How are they in the summer heat?
Old 03-07-14, 08:18 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

What color? I use to have a MB with their MB text fake leather and it was better then the leather, looks like Lexus got this one right. How are they in the summer heat?
I have the Parchment, Starfire Pearl. I was apprehensive about summer (live in NC) because of a Mini with "Leatherette" I had, but the NuLuxe did not feel any different than other leather cars I've had (several Lexus, MB, Honda, Toyota). Not an issue at all. I keep it clean, but no kids, no pets in the car, but there is no marking of the bolsters from sliding in, which I've seen on other light leathers I've had. I had an MB-Tex (Palomino), but it was a long time ago, 1983 240D, my recollection is that it was thicker than the NuLuxe, didn't quite have the same feel, and was hotter in the summer. I'd be hard pressed now to go for leather unless the other options in the package were the deciding factor. I think based on the initial sales pitch from the salesman, they were promoting the NuLuxe and bamboo as sustainable materials--stopped him there because hybrid technology and the mileage were what I was after. Most 300h on the lot were NuLuxe at the time. Third hybrid for me, 42 mpg over the year.
Old 03-12-14, 07:05 AM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

Default Perforated Leather Seats

I took my ES to an upholstery shop to get their opinion on my seats. The shop owner said that by perforating the leather, it becomes weaker and stretches easier. He also said that he foam cushion was too soft. The more I think about this I believe there is a connection between the "improved" heated seats that get much hotter than my 2007 ES. I think that the increased heat on the perforated leather is causing it to stretch more easily which results in this appearance. The upholstery shop said that it could be repaired by inserting a foam"stiffiner' between the leather and the foam seat cushion.(at a cost of $400 per seat)

I will bring this up to the Lexus representative on Friday when they look at my seats.
Old 03-12-14, 07:07 AM
pherbst
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2007 ES 350 that had over 70,000 miles on it. It also had heated seats and perforated leather. When I traded it in on the 2013 ES, the seats looked as good as the new seats in the 2013.
Old 03-12-14, 10:15 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pherbst
I took my ES to an upholstery shop to get their opinion on my seats. The shop owner said that by perforating the leather, it becomes weaker and stretches easier. He also said that he foam cushion was too soft. The more I think about this I believe there is a connection between the "improved" heated seats that get much hotter than my 2007 ES. I think that the increased heat on the perforated leather is causing it to stretch more easily which results in this appearance. The upholstery shop said that it could be repaired by inserting a foam"stiffiner' between the leather and the foam seat cushion.(at a cost of $400 per seat)

I will bring this up to the Lexus representative on Friday when they look at my seats.
Form stiffner is probably a piece of hard perforated plastic sheet between the foam that they'll install due to the softer foam seat cushions that might be the cause of the sagging. $400 per seat ?
Old 03-13-14, 04:45 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"$400 per seat"

May I say,.....outrageous.
Old 03-15-14, 09:58 AM
Eagleguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my ES350 (with 5K miles) in Thursday to show the Lexus service manager and he agreed that the seat wear/indentations were very unusual. I take it back on March 19th and leave it for a day for their outside upholstery guy to appraise and reply. The Service manager also sent an e-mail to Lexus Corp, with pictures, and copied me on his findings. In his e-mail the service manager also mentioned the activity on this web site about similar problems others were having.

Will get back to all of you after the 19th and see where this goes.
Old 03-16-14, 08:23 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eagleguy
I took my ES350 (with 5K miles) in Thursday to show the Lexus service manager and he agreed that the seat wear/indentations were very unusual. I take it back on March 19th and leave it for a day for their outside upholstery guy to appraise and reply. The Service manager also sent an e-mail to Lexus Corp, with pictures, and copied me on his findings. In his e-mail the service manager also mentioned the activity on this web site about similar problems others were having.

Will get back to all of you after the 19th and see where this goes.
Which leather do you have?
Old 03-16-14, 09:41 AM
Eagleguy
Rookie

I have leather not the nulux

Quick Reply: 2013 ES 350 seat/upholstery issue