ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Anyone with Clear Bra experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 05:40 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll be getting my ES done in a couple of weeks with 3M film. The full kit with bumpers, fender, hood, and mirrors will be done for $500 by a shop that has a certified 3M installer. I am wondering if anyone has done the leading edge of the roof in front of the moonroof as my 2008 ES had some chips from road debris in that area. they will do this area for an extra 100 bucks but I am not sure if it's worth it.

PTmobile, what experience have you had with those other brands that you mentioned? Why do you think they are better? I have never had any problems with 3M products.
Old 02-05-14, 06:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I personally have not had chipping on the leading edge of the roof...but $100 ain't much for the peace of mind.
Old 02-06-14, 04:34 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamikela1
I'll be getting my ES done in a couple of weeks with 3M film. The full kit with bumpers, fender, hood, and mirrors will be done for $500 by a shop that has a certified 3M installer. I am wondering if anyone has done the leading edge of the roof in front of the moonroof as my 2008 ES had some chips from road debris in that area. they will do this area for an extra 100 bucks but I am not sure if it's worth it.

PTmobile, what experience have you had with those other brands that you mentioned? Why do you think they are better? I have never had any problems with 3M products.
Suntek and Xpel Ultimate are both MUCH smoother films (3M has a lot of orange peel) and both films are self healing. So bug etchings and light scratches will heal themselves when the car is parked in the sun. I wont touch 3M... either installing it or removing it. IF you have to take 3M off the vehicle you can plan on almost all the adhesive remaining behind on the paint. Once bug season starts you will see the bugs etch the film and there isn't much you can do to correct it. You can lightly buff it but it doesn't always get the bug etchings out.

As far as the leading edge of the roof it is pretty cheap insurance for the car. For $100 though they should do the A pillars as well which is just as important.
Old 02-06-14, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My film is Ventureshield (I realize "3M film" is different, even though 3M owns Ventureshield), the peel matches the paint. I did have some staining with a bird bomb, but an online trick of heating it with a hair dryer removed it.
Old 02-07-14, 02:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Suntek and Xpel Ultimate are both MUCH smoother films (3M has a lot of orange peel) and both films are self healing. So bug etchings and light scratches will heal themselves when the car is parked in the sun. I wont touch 3M... either installing it or removing it. IF you have to take 3M off the vehicle you can plan on almost all the adhesive remaining behind on the paint. Once bug season starts you will see the bugs etch the film and there isn't much you can do to correct it. You can lightly buff it but it doesn't always get the bug etchings out.

As far as the leading edge of the roof it is pretty cheap insurance for the car. For $100 though they should do the A pillars as well which is just as important.
I'm a bit surprised to see a negative evaluation of the 3M product. I've always thought of 3M as being the leader in the industry, and that is especially true with products related to adhesives and auto finishes.
Old 02-07-14, 02:34 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. I'll discuss with the shop next week as I know they offer films other than 3M. I was thinking about the A pillars as well so that may actually be a better option than the roof edge.

I live in Houston and bug season is brutal here. It will ruin a car's finish if not removed quickly.
Old 02-07-14, 04:39 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm a bit surprised to see a negative evaluation of the 3M product. I've always thought of 3M as being the leader in the industry, and that is especially true with products related to adhesives and auto finishes.
They were the first to come out with film, BUT, they haven't improved their film for as long as I can remember. With that said later this year they are supposed to come out with their own self healing film. But they have said that the last two years now and still nothing to test out. Sure they are a big name but their film just isn't a good product.
Old 02-12-14, 01:17 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had no problems with my Ventureshield by 3M. Installed by an indie that asked me to come back to check the install. One bubble that was taken care of. From their web site and looking at the install it looked like self healing to me, but I'm just a happy user.
Old 02-12-14, 05:08 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
I've had no problems with my Ventureshield by 3M. Installed by an indie that asked me to come back to check the install. One bubble that was taken care of. From their web site and looking at the install it looked like self healing to me, but I'm just a happy user.
It isn't self healing. I installed Ventureshield for 8 years before coming back to Texas. The film doesn't hold up well here to bugs... and we get a lot of them in the spring and summer. If it was self healing I would still carry it. But it will easily get swirl marks in it.... that are there for good.
Old 02-13-14, 03:00 PM
jhbhatia
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question: I live in houston and have front parking sensors. The dealer and the installer indicated they will not touch ClearBra products for cars with sensors. The $425 the dealership charged was for front hood and mirrors only. The bumper essentially where we need it the most is unprotected . why cant they poke holes in the film to make it fit cars with sensors???
Old 02-13-14, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't get the package at the dealer. Find a good independent installer and have them do it, the final result will be much better.

Mine has parking sensors and a clear bra.
Old 02-14-14, 07:48 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

We'll I decided to go with the Avery Nano Fusion. I am at Invisishield in Houston now getting the film installed. This product has a reputation for being one of the smoothest films available. It also has a lifetime warranty and has little to no problems with yellowing.

I'll take some pictures once it's fully dried and post them.
Old 02-17-14, 05:49 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

As promised here are some pictures of the Nano Fusion film. I have not applied any wax or sealer yet. once it's fully cured it should get a bit smoother but it looks good right out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with Clear Bra experience?-2013-es350-004.jpg   Anyone with Clear Bra experience?-2013-es350-001.jpg   Anyone with Clear Bra experience?-2013-es350-006.jpg  
Old 02-17-14, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Looks good!
Old 02-17-14, 07:13 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Avery Nano Fusion used to be the smoothest film out. About a year and a half ago they had manufacturing issues and stopped producing it for 9 months. Since it has come back out it just isn't the same film. I stopped carrying it due to the increased texture and the fact it tears easily. Its a shame... it was a great film. Keep us posted in the durability of the product. This summer will be a good test with the bugs.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Clear Bra experience?