ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transmission shifting and frequency, long term

Old 01-16-14, 10:15 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Transmission shifting and frequency, long term

I am coming from a 2001 Acura CL-S which is a 5 speed automatic, and that car wouldnt' change gears that quickly. I understand cars today change gears frequently to be in the best gear for fuel efficiency?

But I feel like my ES350 changes gears so much, even at the slightest speed change. Is this normal -perhaps it's because I haven't driven a new car since my 2001, 12 years ago! Even the slightest press on the pedal will downshift the car and into the lower gear, even on ECO setting. On my Acura, pressing lightly on the accel pedal didn't result in a lower gear, as I know the engine had more than enough torque.

I also love reliability, and this makes me think the transmission would have a shorter life span with all the shifting. I still haven't asked my dealer about how often to do tranny fluid changes (which I know is a different thread altogether about discussions about "lifetime" fluid).
Old 01-16-14, 05:00 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AircraftX
I am coming from a 2001 Acura CL-S which is a 5 speed automatic, and that car wouldnt' change gears that quickly. I understand cars today change gears frequently to be in the best gear for fuel efficiency?

But I feel like my ES350 changes gears so much, even at the slightest speed change. Is this normal -perhaps it's because I haven't driven a new car since my 2001, 12 years ago! Even the slightest press on the pedal will downshift the car and into the lower gear, even on ECO setting. On my Acura, pressing lightly on the accel pedal didn't result in a lower gear, as I know the engine had more than enough torque.

I also love reliability, and this makes me think the transmission would have a shorter life span with all the shifting. I still haven't asked my dealer about how often to do tranny fluid changes (which I know is a different thread altogether about discussions about "lifetime" fluid).
The 6 speed transmission in your ES 350 has no known excessive wear issue, unilke your previous CL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_C...ssion_concerns which was apparently rife with clutch/transmission issues.
Old 01-16-14, 05:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
The 6 speed transmission in your ES 350 has no known excessive wear issue, unilke your previous CL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_C...ssion_concerns which was apparently rife with clutch/transmission issues.
I agree. Since it came out in the 2007 ES350 there are no indications of any long term (8 model years) reliability issues. Even the early flaring issues didn't seem to effect reliability.
Old 01-17-14, 05:05 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I feel like my ES350 changes gears so much, even at the slightest speed change. Is this normal -perhaps it's because I haven't driven a new car since my 2001, 12 years ago! Even the slightest press on the pedal will downshift the car and into the lower gear, even on ECO setting.
I personally almost do not feel when the transmission changes gears. Very smooth operation!
With one exception. If I am driving along local roads with 40 mph speed (which is common) and slow down to about 35 mph the transmission rapidly downshifts and then upshifts hunting for the right in your mind speed. That is annoying. I am going to ask my service adviser if it is possible to reprogram the transmission to fix it.
Old 01-17-14, 12:01 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Thank you. Actually, I still have the 2001 CL and no problems so far with the transmission, at 165k miles. Hope I got good luck with trannys! Everyone in the Acura CL community has been talking about this tranny issue for years -so I guess I definitely pay more attention to a car's transmission reliability than most normal people.
Old 09-20-15, 07:27 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinefun
I personally almost do not feel when the transmission changes gears. Very smooth operation!
With one exception. If I am driving along local roads with 40 mph speed (which is common) and slow down to about 35 mph the transmission rapidly downshifts and then upshifts hunting for the right in your mind speed. That is annoying. I am going to ask my service adviser if it is possible to reprogram the transmission to fix it.
Alpinefun: I have the same annoying behavior with my 2014 ES. At 35-40 the car pulls back during a momentary downshift and then upshifts back to a "less-drag" ride. My question is whether your Lexus dealer had an impact on this behavior? And has anyone else had this issue and had it successfully addressed by Lexus?
Old 09-20-15, 07:39 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

We replaced a 2003 Acura TL with our new ES. The TL was known for the same transmission issues as your CL. We lost our first transmission at 65K miles. Supposedly the replacement model was a corrected design, but I never trusted Honda/Acura after that.

One of the reasons we went with the ES was BECAUSE of the transmission. With automatics up to 9 and higher speeds now, a "simple" 6 speed auto was our best bet. It also helps its been used forever in Toyota/Lexus land (along with the engine its attached to).....definitely a positive to us.

After driving the car for 1K miles I have to say I like the fact that its very transparent: it doesn't really make itself known. it just does what its supposed to, when its supposed to. No, it wont win any drag races, but thats not what an ES is for anyway.
Old 09-20-15, 12:08 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Alpinefun: I have the same annoying behavior with my 2014 ES. At 35-40 the car pulls back during a momentary downshift and then upshifts back to a "less-drag" ride. My question is whether your Lexus dealer had an impact on this behavior? And has anyone else had this issue and had it successfully addressed by Lexus?
I have the same issue and find it annoying. Have not addressed it with dealer as other threads I read on the same topic indicated they would just tell me it is designed that way (likely for fuel economy).

My other cars have either a manual tranny or a CVT, so I find the shifting of the Lexus a bit unusual
Old 09-22-15, 12:36 PM
jda2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still haven't asked my dealer about how often to do tranny fluid changes (which I know is a different thread altogether about discussions about "lifetime" fluid).
They'll probably say it doesn't need changing, but we know better.
I'll probably do a drain and refill at 50K miles, which will make it a 7 yr old car, since I only do about 7K miles a year.
Old 09-22-15, 04:40 PM
airgas1998
Driver

the current 6spd u660e is a great toyota mfg'd transmission.....
Old 09-22-15, 04:45 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by alpinefun
yes...this is the common "hang up" zone, and is strictly software related. a work around is to set it on the eco setting this will force it into the overdrive gear. you good also shift into manual mode. very doubtful the techs are going to reprogram the shift points, without mother Toyota approval if within the power train warranty.

Last edited by airgas1998; 09-22-15 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 05:25 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by airgas1998
yes...this is the common "hang up" zone, and is strictly software related. a work around is to set it on the eco setting this will force it into the overdrive gear. you good also shift into manual mode. very doubtful the techs are going to reprogram the shift points, without mother Toyota approval if within the power train warranty.
I usually drive in Eco mode and I still have the same shifting issue.
Old 03-05-19, 09:06 PM
DoDo1975
10th Gear

I am also noticing this in eco mode on my new ES. Hunts the gear. Also seems to engage clutch when coasting as rpms will drop way down and then come back up with a tiny bit of throttle.

I assume this is all normal but any updates some this last post 3.5 years ago?
Old 03-06-19, 11:02 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Really reliable transmission that’s been in the ES since 07. I’ve seen only a very low percentage of failures lurking on the forum for many years. Hope the next gen fares as well!
Old 03-07-19, 12:44 PM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Really reliable transmission that’s been in the ES since 07. I’ve seen only a very low percentage of failures lurking on the forum for many years. Hope the next gen fares as well!
I hope so too!!!