ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Windshield Wiper Positions

Old 01-02-14, 10:54 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Positions

The manual describes how to raise and how to lower the wipers.
What I do not clearly understand is the practical usage of it. What would be a problem if I will keep the wipers in the low position all the time?
Old 01-02-14, 11:01 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the idea is they could become frozen or snow packed more easily in the lower position.

Dave Mac
Old 01-02-14, 11:12 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinefun
The manual describes how to raise and how to lower the wipers.
What I do not clearly understand is the practical usage of it. What would be a problem if I will keep the wipers in the low position all the time?
Dave Mac is correct. Where you live and where I live, ice can form in the cavity where the wipers reside. Try to turn on frozen wipers and uh-oh. $$$$. Moving them to the upward position for winter helps prevent damage and makes it easier to clean or position the wipers up off the windshield when a storm is approaching. (Like today).
Old 01-02-14, 11:28 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Thanks guys!
Old 01-02-14, 11:32 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If you do change the wiper position to the winter setting, you might want to be careful when you open the hood. I recall reading posts several months ago from people who said that, when they opened the hood with the wipers in the winter position, there wasn't enough clearance, and they ended up damaging the paint on the back edge of the hood. I'm not sure whether there was something wrong with the winter setting on their particular vehicles or whether, with reduced clearance, you are supposed to return the wipers to the summer position before opening the hood.
Old 01-02-14, 12:03 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
...you are supposed to return the wipers to the summer position before opening the hood.
That's would be a major flaw in design. I have just checked the manual and I don't see any warnings related to this issue.
Old 01-02-14, 12:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

That's would be a major flaw in design. I have just checked the manual and I don't see any warnings related to this issue.
I don't know whether there is, in fact, a clearance issue with the wipers in the winter position. All I know is that, based on the reports of paint damage that I referred to in my previous post, I've been afraid to set mine in the winter position for fear that someone else might open the hood and unknowingly cause damage. So, at least for now, I've kept mine in the summer position.
Old 01-02-14, 01:01 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

I wonder if those people used aftermarket blades - bigger blades than OEM one.
Old 01-02-14, 02:16 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember my salesman told me to move the wipers to winter position and rise the wipers off from the glass when it snows or possible ice to avoid damage to the wipers blades and arms. I assume you have to push them back down when the chance of snow/ice has passed before your next drive.
Old 01-02-14, 02:49 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrlexEd88
I remember my salesman told me to move the wipers to winter position and rise the wipers off from the glass when it snows or possible ice to avoid damage to the wipers blades and arms. I assume you have to push them back down when the chance of snow/ice has passed before your next drive.
No, you don't. I leave mine in the "winter position" all winter here in Pennsylvania. Move them back in April...
Old 01-02-14, 03:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
No, you don't. I leave mine in the "winter position" all winter here in Pennsylvania. Move them back in April...
Have you tried opening the hood with the wipers in the winter position? If so, how much clearance is there between the wipers and the back edge of the hood?
Old 01-02-14, 05:30 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tried to reposition mine to the winter position

I had no luck in doing it. Felt like the wiper blades were going to break. Guess I'll need to swing by the dealer.

Last edited by NobodyHere; 01-02-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 05:56 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
Have you tried opening the hood with the wipers in the winter position? If so, how much clearance is there between the wipers and the back edge of the hood?
I'd go outside to check for you but there's about 4" of snow on the hood right now. I'll post when I can...
Old 01-02-14, 06:12 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Originally Posted by NobodyHere
I had no luck in doing it. Felt like the wiper blades were going to break. Guess I'll need to sing by the dealer.
It takes significant amount of force to slide the passenger side wiper blade up or down. I was also afraid to brake the blade when I did it first time. Don't worry about it. It works.
Old 01-02-14, 06:26 PM
NobodyHere
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes significant amount of force to slide the passenger side wiper blade up or down. I was also afraid to brake the blade when I did it first time. Don't worry about it. It works.
I grabbed mine by the blade on the passenger side and pulled up pretty hard. Admittedly, I don't want to break my wipers in this bad weather we are having here. I followed the instructions in the owners manual. I'd say I pulled with the force I would need to lift a 20lb weight.

I've had to replace windshield wiper motors in the past, don't want to have that happen here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Positions