ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 01:38 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkayser
We just purchased a new 2014 ES-350 with milage as of this morning < 400. In the past 3 days the battery has completely drained twice. The dealer came out and jumped it both times. The dealer ran their usual set of diagnostics and found nothing wrong. They tell us we were not driving the car enough. That with all of the electronics the battery has to be used "heavily" at least 20 mins a day.

So a couple of questions

1) Is this normal, if so I doubt this would have been our new car

2) If not what can be done.

It is less than a 20 min drive for either of us to work and that is in stop and go traffic. It seems much like a design problem that should be addressed.

This is not our first Lexus and we bought based on previous experiences but with now having more limited mobility we wanted a reliable form of transportation and It is starting to look like a very un-wise decision.

I could understand some of this but brand new, seems a bit "odd" and why would they design a car that by default is not reliable and undependable. Is this what they call a lemon?

They also want to install a $200 battery tender, what is that?

Now they tell us that we have to keep the Key FOB away from the car when not in use as it activates some of the electronics when too close. I think they have been sniffing too much brake dust.

Thoughts?

My car has about 3700 miles on an ES 300h. The weather has been below freezing for about a week and the car starts up right away in the morning with no garage.

There is something wrong with your battery and your service tech.
Old 12-17-13, 03:02 PM
js32428
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem es350 2013 However after the car was 6 months old the battery went dead shortly after driving 1500 miles Got a battery charge from AAA This past.Thursday 12/12 the car would not start the battery light in the dash was on, I waited several hours and tried to restart the car, It started So this Monday12/16 I brought the car to the dealer and they told me I had a bad cell in the Battery and replaced the battery .Later that day the car again would not start this time the engine light lite up, I waited 10 minutes and the car started I called the dealer and waiting for a response now.
Old 12-17-13, 03:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The OP hasn't been back. It would be interesting to hear if he got things resolved.
Old 12-18-13, 12:42 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

I was the guy that reported a dead battery issue months ago. The dealer never found the cause, but did replace the battery and haven't had an issue since then. here is my original thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...d-battery.html
Old 12-23-13, 12:18 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

Happened to me several years ago on another make of car. If it sat for very long the battery would discharge. The dealer (after several tries) finally found a bad switch on the trunk light that let the light stay on all the time. Being in the trunk, I did not see the light on when it was closed and it was on when open so I never would have thought of that.

C
Old 12-25-13, 11:38 AM
sirkeys
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2013 LS 460 that is 11 months old with 10,500 mi and the battery was dead 2 times already. Dealer is giving me same **** and bull story that I don't drive it enough. Each time bat. was dead the car also locked itself (in my gararge where I never lock it) so I had to open with the key and charge battery, then all was fine til the next random failure. There must be something in the electronics that is causing this. Would appreciate hearing from others with this problem.
Old 12-25-13, 11:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Is there any chance that any of you who say that you are having a battery drain issue are storing the spare key fob in the vehicle or anywhere close to it? If a key fob with the keyless ignition system is in or near the vehicle, it will be constantly communicating with the vehicle, and that can drain the battery very quickly.
Old 12-31-13, 03:20 AM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Is there any chance that any of you who say that you are having a battery drain issue are storing the spare key fob in the vehicle or anywhere close to it? If a key fob with the keyless ignition system is in or near the vehicle, it will be constantly communicating with the vehicle, and that can drain the battery very quickly.
Nope, not the issue with me. Besides, you can't keep the fob in the car and be able to lock it.
Old 01-01-14, 02:35 PM
hpdnjc
Driver School Candidate

Post Battery Drain

I had the same problem. Jumped in the ES300h to go somewhere and the car wouldn't start, which was strange since I had just moved it 2 days prior. I got a jump and drove it to the dealership. It took them a few days but they found that a cell in the original battery had died. I received a new battery and was as good as new. I sent my Lexus service guy this Club Lexus battery info after they claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. The battery was replaced shortly after. Hopes this help. Only 11,000 miles on the vehicle also.

NJC
Old 02-24-14, 02:30 PM
peoplesg9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sirkeys
I have a 2013 LS 460 that is 11 months old with 10,500 mi and the battery was dead 2 times already. Dealer is giving me same **** and bull story that I don't drive it enough. Each time bat. was dead the car also locked itself (in my gararge where I never lock it) so I had to open with the key and charge battery, then all was fine til the next random failure. There must be something in the electronics that is causing this. Would appreciate hearing from others with this problem.
I have 2013 LS 460 F Sport. I am having the same problem that Scutmud described. I brought my car in Feb 2013 and only have 10250 miles. One year after owning the car,I left my car in garage for 4 days and came out to start it and it wouldnt start. I was able to get into the car using keyfob but car wouldn't start. When i pressed the start button the lights came on the dash and got dim when i pressed the buttonto start car. When i pressed the start button the second time, the green light on start button start flashing and all the dash light got dimmer and went out. I had no power throught the whole car. I took my car to Lexus of Nashville and they said that they could not find anything wrong with the battery and charging system. I demanded that they replace the battery and the did replace the battery. I thought my problems was over. I was sure it was a defective battery. I was wrong.
On Feb 17 2014 I went out to my car to go to appointment and my battery was dead again. I had to use my dummy key to get in my car. There wasnt any power at all. I returned the car to Lexus and they kept it over the weekend and ran test on it after letting the car set for three days. I was called on Monday and was told that they could not find anything wrong with the battery or charging system. I requested that they keep the car and run more test on this car. If anybody is having the same problem, please comment. I saw this quote that Scutmud posted and decided to post my problem. I would like to hear from you if possible. MY phone number is 931-216-8792. I would like to know how they fixed your problem.
Old 02-25-14, 03:19 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

My friend, what they told you about not driving you car enough is a load of crap, pure and simple.... That's a new car, with a new battery.....no reason it should shouldn't crank right up.... plus all batteries have a "reserve"... so i'm not buying the "not driving it enough" answer.... to give you a comparison, I have a boat that's been sitting in a storage building since last September....nearly 6 months with a 4 year old battery.... fired right up the other day on the first turn of the key... there has to be another issue... Good luck with it.... I know it can be frustrating.

Poppa
Old 03-08-14, 12:01 AM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Default Frustrating Battery Drain

I have a 2013 GS 350 F Sport 5700 miles on it. The battery has died 3 times, all 3 times happened when the car has been sitting longer than 5 days. The car is BRAND NEW!! I haven't left any lights on and the dealer is giving me the same tired speech you all are getting "the battery seems fine and the alternator is working so we don't know what to tell you!" Has ANYONE reported this to Lexus or found a fix that I can take to my local dealer?
Old 03-08-14, 09:35 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
I have a 2013 GS 350 F Sport 5700 miles on it. The battery has died 3 times, all 3 times happened when the car has been sitting longer than 5 days. The car is BRAND NEW!! I haven't left any lights on and the dealer is giving me the same tired speech you all are getting "the battery seems fine and the alternator is working so we don't know what to tell you!" Has ANYONE reported this to Lexus or found a fix that I can take to my local dealer?
Sounds like a low drain. Maybe a trunk light?
Old 03-08-14, 01:34 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
When I bought my new 2010 HS the 12 volt starter battery died 3 times, the dealer could not find the trouble. The 4th time was at work. I politely told them this was the 4th time and asked that they come to my place of employment and replace the 12 volt starter battery. They sent a tech with a new battery and I never had a problem with it again. I assume that sometimes there is just an intermittent cell.

Last edited by jollick; 03-11-14 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 12:05 PM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 GS 350F Battery Drain *Possible Solution

Originally Posted by Arty101
Sounds like a low drain. Maybe a trunk light?
I did a test on the trunk light, that's not the problem (placed my camera in the trunk then closed everything - the light went out) I did however find a possible work around. I can only speak on the GS and the RX since I've never owned the other models. So I found a section in my GS manual that is not in my 2013 RX manual. So all of the Lexus models have a car "Battery-saving function" that keeps the cars battery from draining while the car is not in use. There is an example of this in the 2013 GS manual page 107. However ONLY in the 2013 GS manual is there a additional Electronic Key Battery Saving Function . This function turns off the remote FOB so that it does not emit or receive any radio signals, therefore your car will not "search" for the remote when the car is off. (By doing this there is no drain on your battery while it sits)

Manual States:
When the (cars) battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves.
Press the unlock button twice while pressing and holding down the lock button. Confirm that the electronic key indicator (on the remote) flashes 4 times.
While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart access system with push-button start cannot be used. To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.

The crazy thing is that non of the service technicians at the dealership where aware of this. They also stated that this isn't in the other cars manuals. I'm starting to think Lexus knows they have a battery drain FOB issue but haven't discussed with their service techs or dealerships!

I'm testing this process and hopefully this ends the nightmare of my car not starting every time it sits for 5 days or more.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Issue