Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

800+ Miles on a Tank with the ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 02:59 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 800+ Miles on a Tank with the ES300h

My most recent tankful lasted 804 miles, averaging 49.6 miles per gallon. These results are obviously not typical. I am fortunate to live it an area that hybrids do very well in because of the speed limits, flat roads and warm temperatures.
Old 12-11-13, 03:26 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! That is great. Was it all down hill? LOL
Old 12-11-13, 04:59 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default question??

What is the fuel tank capacity? 16 gal?

Last edited by Canesguy; 12-11-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 06:04 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

The tank holds 17 gallons. I still had a few miles left to empty according to the computer. Theoretically, I had possibly another 40+ miles to go...
Old 12-11-13, 11:20 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElliotB
The tank holds 17 gallons. I still had a few miles left to empty according to the computer. Theoretically, I had possibly another 40+ miles to go...
Showoff! Hahaha.

I thought I was doing great with my 42mpg
Old 12-12-13, 01:15 AM
joebruin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is incredible. What is your secret? Are you constantly in EV mode?

Currently, I'm only averaging about 35-37 mpg driving 60-65 mph on the highway. Granted my wife takes the car to work driving 3.7 mi each way in the city and I drive it to work driving 11.2 mi each way, mostly highway.
Old 12-12-13, 06:13 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by joebruin
That is incredible. What is your secret? Are you constantly in EV mode?

Currently, I'm only averaging about 35-37 mpg driving 60-65 mph on the highway. Granted my wife takes the car to work driving 3.7 mi each way in the city and I drive it to work driving 11.2 mi each way, mostly highway.
I think Elliot drives mostly on flat roads in a warm climate. I get 38 mpg in warm weather and 35 in cold. The roads here are hilly. Still, not bad for a car this size and decent power.
Old 12-12-13, 06:26 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

The secret? I posted a really good technique that has helped me gain well over 10% in FE in another thread, which is basically when accelerating, do not allow battery assist- this technique alone adds about 20-25mpg to the fuel economy you are getting while accelerating (averaging out the instant FE along with the FE you achieve 'later' while on battery power you can achieve 30-40mpg when accelerating). Typically, this is around 1800rpm if you have your tachometer displayed, or staying in the ECO zone if you have the hybrid display on. You are wasting energy and reducing fuel efficiency when accelerating with battery assist.

Flat roads and moderate temperatures help a lot. And driving at the most fuel efficient speeds for your area. I have found that in my area, the ES300h gets its best fuel efficiency around 35-39mph. Constant speed in this range yields around 60mpg or more. Most of the roads in my area allow me to drive in this speed range.

I drive mainly in the city. I probably have about less then 100 highway miles included in the tank. But I always seem to manage around 45mpg on the highway. You cannot achieve this at 80mph so I am obviously driving a bit slower!

I also use the cruise control a lot and have found a method of enabling EV mode frequently with the cruise on by accelerating a couple of MPH over the set speed and then releasing the gas pedal. This usually results in the car going into EV mode and staying in EV mode.

Another important technique I do is never lettering the car sit at a traffic light with the engine running (which charges the battery so in effect you are not getting zero MPGs but you are getting pretty much the lowest fuel economy when the car is not moving and the engine is on. If my battery is low and I know in advance that there is a traffic light ahead of me, I 'force' the engine on a good distance prior to the light to charge the battery up so the engine is not running while stopped.

I also use a Scan Gauge which I find very helpful in determining the best speeds/methods to drive the car for maximum efficiency.

Another tip - when accelerating, at around 20 mph, release the throttle, then gently depress it. This puts the car in a more efficient gear which can double the fuel economy during acceleration. If you accelerate too quickly, you loose the economy. A Scan Gauge is really helpful for this method.

Regardless of whether you are getting fuel economy in the 30s or 40s, the ES300h is a great vehicle all around and you are always getting significantly better fuel economy than other comparable vehicles.

Last edited by ElliotB; 12-12-13 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Berfs1 (10-09-22)
Old 12-12-13, 07:54 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you have mad skillz!

So, how long does it take you from a stop to get to say 40mph?
Are you really slow off the line? or, more of a punch it till around 40mph then coast ?

I know I could get to 40mpg if I stayed out of the HOV lane and only did 70mph.
But I loose half a mpg in the 1st and last 10 min of my commute. in rush hour traffic...
that's what I'm working on.

I have been watching the scan gauge, (gas/ev mode), and notice it runs on both until I get up do a decent speed no matter what. (20-30) then I can stay out of both sources, by keeping the throttle at 2 marks over half way.

once you get 2 marks over half way throttle, both power sources kick in. and always both over 80....

Last edited by mrBillFL; 12-12-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 09:53 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

So, how long does it take you from a stop to get to say 40mph?

My guess is around double of a typical stop. I generally lightly depress the brake pedal in advance of the light or stop sign and allow the car to maximize regenerative braking (when you lightly apply the brakes, you can feel the difference from the way it slows down regularly. I am not convinced that regenerative braking does a lot when it comes to FE.

Are you really slow off the line? or, more of a punch it till around 40mph then coast ?

I accelerate as quickly as possible without using the traction battery, usually around 1800 rpm, but often as high as 2400, which can be achieved in ECO mode typically at speeds above 20mph or so. From a stop, I accelerate at around 1500-1800 rpm.. Even when the battery is well charged, I most often accelerate with the ICE on, as I 'save' my battery power for when it can produce the most MPGs, which is while coasting.

When I refer to the "Scan Gauge", I am referring to a third party computerized device that plugs into the car's diagnostic port, not the car's display. I will try and post a picture when I can.

Again, my results are not typical. I have the right mix of roads in my area, drive mostly in the city, and am generally not in a rush to get anywhere.

FWIW, short trips are the toughest on FE (aside from the a/c_, where I generally average only in the low to mid 30s.

Last edited by ElliotB; 12-13-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-13-13, 02:19 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw, my last 3 tanks have been in eco mode. and I'm watching ICE/EV modes, But still see them both on, off the line til I get to about 20-30mph

I am getting a little better mpg's, but its mostly due to accidents on I95 slowing me down.

I'd love to see video of your displays... want to borrow my gopro?
Old 12-13-13, 03:05 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Does your left display have the tachometer? If not, I suggest you turn it on. If the traction battery is reasonably charged, it will not be used when accelerating if you are around 1800 rpm or less. It does take some practice...
Old 12-13-13, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How many miles on your ESh OP?

Curious how much you've broken in the engine in regards to fuel economy
Old 12-14-13, 09:09 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I have just over 10k miles on my car. But it is just a myth that the vehicle gets better mileage after a certain amount of miles on the engine (in my opinion).
Old 01-06-14, 12:16 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2014 ESh with 750 miles on the odometer and am getting about 30mpg. I asked the dealership about this, and they told me that it will get gradually better for the first 3,500 miles because the batteries need time to reach peak performance. I expected to be getting 40mpg. Any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: 800+ Miles on a Tank with the ES300h