Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h MPG going down and down...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 01:28 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drove a bunch of highway miles and got 36mpg, so I'm feeling better about it. I also test-drove another 300h equipped just like mine at the dealership and it only got 28mpg on a short trip, so at least I don't feel like there's something wrong with my car. Curious to see how it performs this summer.
Old 01-30-14, 07:58 AM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

Had my ES300h for over a year now, so I have been through break-in, all different temps and gas formulas, etc. Other than one long highway trip, I have never achieved more than 34 mpg on a tank. Most tanks have been 31-32. Dead of winter now, last tank was only 26. I understand the drop during cold weather, but overall very disappointing. Most of my driving is stop and go, which is supposed to be a good thing for hybrids. In previous cars, I have usually averaged about 1 mpg less than the posted city mpg for that car. That would be 40 mpg for this car. I was expecting to be somewhere close to that, not consistently 20% worse, even in ideal weather. Just had 10k service with first oil change yesterday, hope that helps.
Old 01-30-14, 10:42 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the Consumer Reports reviewer of the 2013 ES 300h only averaged 36 mpg as did other reviewers. My mileage has gone down a lot during the winter. Hoping this reverses with spring and summer. Still beats the mileage of my previous car though.
Old 02-16-14, 08:35 AM
ppeter4685
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on ES300h mileage

I posted a while ago that mileage for my ES300h was going down with cold weather, wondering if others experienced the same. Since then I have left the cold of MN to spend some of the winter in AZ, stopping in Texas first. My mileage stayed low on the trip down (36 - 37 mpg), first because it was very cold driving all the way to Texas, and then because (I assume) no car is going to get its best mileage driving nearly 80 mph on the long straight stretches of west Texas freeways. However, since I have gotten to AZ and am driving a mix of freeway and around town type driving my mileage has gone back up. My last tank is averaging just over 42 mpg, so I am guessing my MN mileage will go back up when I return after winter is over.
Old 02-20-14, 10:42 AM
texmex123
Driver School Candidate

I just bought mine and still in my first gas tank. Every commute trip of around 50 miles I have been getting 40 mpg 50:50 city:hwy. I have been driving normally but avoiding hard acceleration, braking. My commute does not allow me to beyond 65. When really babied it meaning keep it around 55 and go really slow on the gas barely venturing into power I got 42.5! So really happy with the car and hope it stays this way. BTW the mpg really starts climbing when stuck in traffic or crawling guess gas engine not working.
Old 02-20-14, 11:19 AM
jonmanch
Driver

It was in the low 40's this morning in NYC, and I got 42.5 MPG on the trip into the City. Better gas mileage with warmer weather.
Old 02-20-14, 11:25 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by texmex123
I just bought mine and still in my first gas tank. Every commute trip of around 50 miles I have been getting 40 mpg 50:50 city:hwy. I have been driving normally but avoiding hard acceleration, braking. My commute does not allow me to beyond 65. When really babied it meaning keep it around 55 and go really slow on the gas barely venturing into power I got 42.5! So really happy with the car and hope it stays this way. BTW the mpg really starts climbing when stuck in traffic or crawling guess gas engine not working.
Great job. I thought I wasn't accelerating or braking hard, but I better re-evaluate this since I'm only getting 36 mpg with the combo 50/50 city/fwy. Then again, I don't want to be the slug on the road and keep up with traffic
Old 02-20-14, 12:40 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmanch
It was in the low 40's this morning in NYC, and I got 42.5 MPG on the trip into the City. Better gas mileage with warmer weather.
I think that judging of gas mileage as an average number per single trip can be misleading because all trips are unequal.
Monitoring your gas mileage per tank after refilling would be the more precise way to do it.
Just my opinion.
Old 02-20-14, 02:45 PM
jonmanch
Driver

I do that as well. My average tank FE has also increased.

Last edited by jonmanch; 02-20-14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 06:04 AM
texmex123
Driver School Candidate

BTW turning the AC off (it is always on even in winter when in auto mode due to the defrost I guess) seems to help a lot. Today I got 42.5 mpg over my 25 mile commute with moderate driving. Since this is my first tank don't know if the dealer used non-ethanol fuel which would be helping. I will fill up with the usual ethanol blends and calculate manually and see if the 40 mpg holds up.
Old 03-01-14, 10:01 PM
Cerulean99
Driver School Candidate

I noticed the trip computer overestimates the MPG by about 2-3 MPG. I consistently read about 36-37 mgp since last refuel on the display, but when I use Gas Buddy to calculate the mpg at each fill up, it consistently calculate 33-34 mpg. Anyone else getting this kind of discrepancy?
Old 03-02-14, 01:48 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I see what you are saying, and, if that is the case, hybrid mpg would be affected more than would non-hybrid mpg. With my ES350, if I watch the fuel economy monitor while driving at a steady speed and turn the heater on and off, doing so has absolutely no effect at all on mpg.

While I would concede that use of the heater could affect mpg with a hybrid, I'm still confident that the major cause of lower mpg with any vehicle, hybrid or non-hybrid, in cold weather is the increased amount of time that it takes the engine to warm up to normal operating temperature. With my ES350 and very little of my driving being done in stop-and-go conditions, my typical mpg during the summer was around 34 mpg. As temperatures here have dropped into the 20 degree range, my mpg has dropped to about 31 mpg. However, if I'm driving 30-40 mile trips, I will still get close to the same mpg as I was getting during the summer. The bigger drop in mpg happens when I'm doing lots of 5 mile drives (or less), and the engine has to warm up repeatedly after each shutdown.
Yeah, I'd say.... 34 mpg in a non hybrid... I'd take that anyday.... I've only got about 1600 miles on my ES and the best I've gotten so far was on a 2 hour road trip driving the speed limit of 75 mph... I was avg. 27 to 28 according to the computer.. now when I slowed down to 60 to 65 it jumped up to 30 to 31 mpg.....
Old 03-03-14, 02:00 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Poppa
Yeah, I'd say.... 34 mpg in a non hybrid... I'd take that anyday.... I've only got about 1600 miles on my ES and the best I've gotten so far was on a 2 hour road trip driving the speed limit of 75 mph... I was avg. 27 to 28 according to the computer.. now when I slowed down to 60 to 65 it jumped up to 30 to 31 mpg.....
You're getting what the ES350 is rated at for highway - 31 mpg. Getting 34 mph which is fantastic is getting into the 300h hybrid territory, based on comments from some 300h drivers.
Old 03-03-14, 02:16 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cerulean99
I noticed the trip computer overestimates the MPG by about 2-3 MPG. I consistently read about 36-37 mgp since last refuel on the display, but when I use Gas Buddy to calculate the mpg at each fill up, it consistently calculate 33-34 mpg. Anyone else getting this kind of discrepancy?
I get between 1-2 mpg difference between the computer display and calculated mpg. I get that with my RX too, but I think the computer computation is more complicated than straight fuel consumption and mileage driven. Sometimes, I do get pretty close to the computer readout.
Old 03-19-14, 08:58 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

I recently cleared 2k miles, and all of a sudden I'm getting 36-37mpg. Pretty weird, but I'll gladly take it! I haven't changed anything else - driving same amount, using same gas. I suppose it's also gotten a bit warmer, too, which doesn't hurt.

Quick Reply: ES300h MPG going down and down...