Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h MPG going down and down...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 12:08 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
Can I get the same results with the climate control without switching into ECON? I've tried using that setting but it doesn't lend itself well to San Diego freeways. I've switched off the climate control all together and my average mileage jumped from 34.6 mpg to 42.1 mpg.
Are you switching off the compressor (AC Off) when you can? Auto will still function, but with only ambient air for cooling. On the other point, ECON does slow throttle tip-in, but full throttle will still be full throttle if you need it. It may take a change in driving style to lean on it when you need it.
Old 01-20-14, 11:58 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Are you switching off the compressor (AC Off) when you can? Auto will still function, but with only ambient air for cooling. On the other point, ECON does slow throttle tip-in, but full throttle will still be full throttle if you need it. It may take a change in driving style to lean on it when you need it.
Have been turning off the ac and driving in eco mode. I'm now hovering at 39.1-39.6 depending on hills.
Old 01-21-14, 04:11 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm lucky to get 37.0 mpg (calculated) even with the warm/dry spell in the west coast.
Old 01-22-14, 08:46 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arty101
I'm lucky to get 37.0 mpg (calculated) even with the warm/dry spell in the west coast.
I'm going to do the math after the next fill up - at this rate it will be another week or so. I switched driving habits mid tank and went from 30.75 mpg to 34.9 mpg calculated. The tank I'm on will be the one that lets me know how I'm really doing. I've noticed my short morning trips to the gym really seem to kill my mileage - not sure why.
Old 01-22-14, 09:41 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MissBissy, until the engine warms up, FE is weak. This is normal.
Old 01-22-14, 10:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'm going to do the math after the next fill up - at this rate it will be another week or so. I switched driving habits mid tank and went from 30.75 mpg to 34.9 mpg calculated. The tank I'm on will be the one that lets me know how I'm really doing. I've noticed my short morning trips to the gym really seem to kill my mileage - not sure why.
Aside from idling, short trips may well be the biggest possible mpg killer because, until the engine reaches normal operating temperatures, the amount of fuel consumed is dramatically greater than it is once the engine is at normal operating temperatures. If you set the information display to show current mpg, watch and see how much lower it is for the first few miles after each (cold) restart.
Old 01-22-14, 01:24 PM
CurryPot
Driver

Coldish here too. You can see how my MPG drops in winter at http://www.fuelly.com/driver/currypotter/es300h

I now have 19 months of tracking. Compared to the IS250 AWD I had before, my gas bill for the year is about $800 cheaper with an average 15k ish miles per year. I drove that car carefully too.

My last tank sucked because I had other things on my mind. Back into saving mode. If I hit red lights in the first mile of leaving home, I turn off the aircon when at a stand still. That kills the engine. Quite shocking how much that helps the MPG.

Also, I have decided to stay warm this winter in my $50k car, so the MPG can drop a little bit. It will be back in the spring.
Old 01-22-14, 02:12 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
Aside from idling, short trips may well be the biggest possible mpg killer because, until the engine reaches normal operating temperatures, the amount of fuel consumed is dramatically greater than it is once the engine is at normal operating temperatures. If you set the information display to show current mpg, watch and see how much lower it is for the first few miles after each (cold) restart.

Can I use this as my excuse to not go to the gym????
Old 01-22-14, 02:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Can I use this as my excuse to not go to the gym????
Or you could find a gym that is much further away so that you don't have to make any short trips.
Old 01-22-14, 05:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can run to the gym and totally save on the gas .
Old 01-23-14, 09:19 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arty101
You can run to the gym and totally save on the gas .
I only run if something is chasing me. Like a giant flying snake. Or a bear. Or a minotaur. Or if there's donuts at the finish line.
Old 01-24-14, 06:27 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPot
Coldish here too. You can see how my MPG drops in winter at http://www.fuelly.com/driver/currypotter/es300h

I now have 19 months of tracking. Compared to the IS250 AWD I had before, my gas bill for the year is about $800 cheaper with an average 15k ish miles per year. I drove that car carefully too.

My last tank sucked because I had other things on my mind. Back into saving mode. If I hit red lights in the first mile of leaving home, I turn off the aircon when at a stand still. That kills the engine. Quite shocking how much that helps the MPG.

Also, I have decided to stay warm this winter in my $50k car, so the MPG can drop a little bit. It will be back in the spring.
I also use fuelly.com, my last tank I got 32.5 mpg, still not bad for a car this size. I tried your suggestion on my way home last night and this morning. I turned the heat off while sitting at a light and the ICE stopped running. I will give that technique a try on this tank and see how well it helps my mpg. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-24-14, 08:40 AM
jakepdx
Rookie

I'm about 1k miles in on my 2014 300h and average between 29-32mpg. I'm in the northwest where it's been colder than usual and I do a lot of short trips, so I'm hoping it will improve as we get warmer weather and I'm also going to take a few longer trips and will monitor how it (hopefully) improves.

For a while I was thinking there was something wrong with my car, but the dealer let me take another 300h for a test drive and it got slightly worse mileage during a 10 minute test drive: about 28mpg.
Old 01-24-14, 12:25 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Here is a link to a very good video on Hyper-miling. It is Prius based but the techniques can be used on any car.

Wayne Gerdes "The Prius King" presents his workshop live @ Toyota of Yakima! Lucky Prius owners and hybrid enthusiasts learned first hand how Wayne gets 86mpg by 'hyper-miling'! Wayne expertly makes suggestions and explains the best way to drive your hybrid car to maximize for he best gas mileage possible. This is a must see seminar for anyone interested in improving fuel economy.

Get comfortable and enjoy over 1 hour of the most useful information on this subject by a true expert.

"PRIUS KING" Wayne Gerdes has been featured on CNN, MSNBC and is in the Guiness Book of World Records!
Old 01-24-14, 11:19 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting video, thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: ES300h MPG going down and down...