ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?

Old 11-13-13, 11:04 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?

I just got back from the dealership's service department for my ES300h's 5K-mile service. While waiting for them to bring my vehicle to the front, I decided to read through the paperworks to see what services were done. To my surprise, they listed oil (synthetic) and filter change. I read in the manual that the first oil change will be at 10K miles. So I asked the service attendant, and he said they did perform an oil change, and the next oil change will be at 10K. It seems the dealership sticks to an oil change interval (OCI) of every 5K miles.

Of course I didn't complain on the 5K-mile oil change as it was free, but the next ones will not be free and will cost a lot down the road. Any thoughts? Should I stick with OCI of every 10K miles as stated in the manual? I'm sure they will play the "service-needed-for-warranty" card. *SIGH*

Invoice states that the cost of oil change is $131.00.
Old 11-14-13, 03:44 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer changed mine at 10K.
Old 11-14-13, 03:59 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't change the oil too often so don't worry about it.
Old 11-14-13, 04:51 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by jbm79
I just got back from the dealership's service department for my ES300h's 5K-mile service. While waiting for them to bring my vehicle to the front, I decided to read through the paperworks to see what services were done. To my surprise, they listed oil (synthetic) and filter change. I read in the manual that the first oil change will be at 10K miles. So I asked the service attendant, and he said they did perform an oil change, and the next oil change will be at 10K. It seems the dealership sticks to an oil change interval (OCI) of every 5K miles.

Of course I didn't complain on the 5K-mile oil change as it was free, but the next ones will not be free and will cost a lot down the road. Any thoughts? Should I stick with OCI of every 10K miles as stated in the manual? I'm sure they will play the "service-needed-for-warranty" card. *SIGH*

Invoice states that the cost of oil change is $131.00.
The Manufacturer - Toyota - recommends an oil change at 10k intervals. Most dealers, according to the posts on this forum, go by that schedule. The first oil change being free at 10k, then you pay for all subsequent changes. This means you'll be paying for an unnecessary change every 5k miles @ $131.00. You will maintain warranty coverage by using the manufacturer schedule. Sounds like you're being set up to me...
Old 11-14-13, 06:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If the recommended intervals are different, follow the manufacturer's recommendation (10k w/synthetic). Dealers often have their own to increase service trips to the dealership.
Old 11-14-13, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Some dealers will try and use a more strict maintenance schedule. This policy has one benefit...it makes the dealer more money. Most people, especially at a Lexus level will just roll in and do whatever they say. Its like if you go to a quick lube place, they always say 3k on the sticker regardless of what the manufacturer recommends.

I had mine changed at my expense at 5k and then let them do it at 10k, now I am on a 10k change schedule. No reason to have done that, but it made me feel better. With these synthetic oils there is just no reason to change it at 5k.

I would ask your dealer if they plan to cover the 10k as well, as per Lexus they should cover the 5k and 10k. Now, the 5k doesn't include an oil change, the dealer did an oil change so I bet they try and screw you out of your free 10k service. Don't let them, all 1-800-25-LEXUS if they won't do it free. They chose to do more than the recommended service at 5k, not you.
Old 11-14-13, 09:25 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been a believer in the philosophy of wasting oil between manufacturer guidance, particularly in a vehicle operating with synthetic.
Old 11-14-13, 09:29 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO, like others have said, stick to the 10K OCI and what the manufacturer's maintenance manual calls for and not what the dealer tries to push. My dealer will "package" other services that will "better" maintain the vehicle - nonsense. It's to better their profit.

Just request the manufacturer's recommended service. Also insist they perform the 10K service that is due to you as part of Lexus's first year service, including the oil change for free. Who knows, maybe that always was their intent. But I'd still stick to the 10K OCI going forward.

Good luck and keep us posted at your 10K service.
Old 11-14-13, 10:53 AM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

My wifes 2014 es has about 800 miles on it so far after a weekend trip to san francisco. I was going to change the oil to mobile 1 synthetic in a couple of days. I always change it after 1k miles on a new car after a break in period and have been changing oil on both of our cars every 3-4k miles simply for my liking. I change my own oil and to me it's worth the 15 minutes and 35 bucks for oil and filter every few months
The following users liked this post:
Fruckman (11-02-21)
Old 11-14-13, 10:55 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what would stop dealers to put regular oil instead of synthetic but charge you for synthetic as is no way for you to check that and play safe to call you at 5k instead of 10k.
I really need to do my own oil change, I never trusted mechanics.
Old 11-14-13, 11:11 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I wonder what would stop dealers to put regular oil instead of synthetic but charge you for synthetic as is no way for you to check that and play safe to call you at 5k instead of 10k.
I really need to do my own oil change, I never trusted mechanics.
Did you ever hear the term "wall job"? This is when a person brings their car in for an oil change and the mechanic parks the car along a wall and leaves it there. No oil change is done but the customer is charged for one. Yes, there are unscrupulous repair facilities even to possibly include a Lexus dealer. I think that for a dealer to infer that your oil should be changed every 5k when the manufacturer clearly states 10k, is underhanded and deceptive. There are many owners that would simply say "OK" and pay the $$$. It's called TRUST
Old 11-14-13, 11:58 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

5K is too early of an interval to change IMO. If Toyota/Lexus recommend 10k intervals, then do it every 10k. Every 5k miles, the oil is still in great shape and there is no need to change it. This paired with a nice quality oil filter, you'll just be wasting money and oil. On top of all this, it's Toyota's standard V6 engine, nothing crazy or high performance based. Even on my 6.0L W12 engine on my Audi, Audi and all the owners always do 8-10k oil changes. If you use the correct high quality oil your supposed to, a change any earlier is a waste. Only exception to this is if you track your car (which you won't track an ES). I've ran the 10k interval on my fathers 04 Accord (150k), my 05 4.2L A8 (120k), and my 07 A8L W12 (80k) all with Mobil 1 full synthetic. Not once have I had an issue, and this is the norm with all the oil changes; provided you have a stock quality oil filter; which Lexus provides a good one or else they wouldn't recommend the change every 10k.

Glad you asked the question, but anyone changing it earlier is just throwing their money away, whether it be fore peace of mind or just because that is what they used to do in the past. Any new cars on standard oil (non-synthetic), go on 5k intervals as it is. Times have changed and the 3k interval is out the window, as synthesis shouldn't ever need to be changed before 8-10k; especially on a Lexus, given the driving attributes given by it's drivers.
Old 11-14-13, 12:58 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeys350
My wifes 2014 es has about 800 miles on it so far after a weekend trip to san francisco. I was going to change the oil to mobile 1 synthetic in a couple of days. I always change it after 1k miles on a new car after a break in period and have been changing oil on both of our cars every 3-4k miles simply for my liking. I change my own oil and to me it's worth the 15 minutes and 35 bucks for oil and filter every few months
Toyota genuine motor oil, which came with your vehicle, is a Mobil 1 0w20 specially formulated full synthetic oil for toyota/Lexus. Oil experts claim it is one of the best 0w20 oils available on the market. For more info you can go to bobistheoilguy.com - all kinds of discussion about it.

Bill G

Last edited by gmanusmc; 11-14-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 01:06 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I wonder what would stop dealers to put regular oil instead of synthetic but charge you for synthetic"

Their integrity, of course!
Old 11-14-13, 01:30 PM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Toyota genuine motor oil, which came with your vehicle, is a Mobil 1 0w20 specially formulated full synthetic oil for toyota/Lexus. Oil experts claim it is one of the best 0w20 oils available on the market. For more info you can go to bobistheoilguy.com - all kinds of discussion about it.

Bill G
Where can I buy it and how much more expensive is it? I refuse to buy anything from the dealerships and their ridiculous pricing. I run mobile 1 in all my cars including my 06 mustang gt that I run A LOT harder than my wife or I will ever run our es350.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?