ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What do you really like about your 2013 (or 2014) ES

Old 11-03-13, 03:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts
Default What do you really like about your 2013 (or 2014) ES

Given the nature of the internet, boards like this generally have a good number of threads in which people are complaining about things that they don't like in the cars and other products that they have purchased.

I thought that it would be interesting and refreshing to start a more positive thread, and I, therefore, invite 2013 and 2014 ES owners to tell what things they really like about their vehicles.

I'll get things started. When I bought my ES, I was looking for a front-wheel drive vehicle that provided a comfortable and quiet drive, and the ES has not disappointed me in the least. I really appreciate the 3.5 liter V6. It reminds me of the small block V8s that GM was using a few decades ago in the way that it provides a feeling of smooth and refined power. I also like the way that Lexus designed a vehicle that isolates road, wind, and engine noise from the passenger compartment as well as does any vehicle that I've driven or ridden in. And it is a bonus to have that smooth, refined power and to still be able consistently to get 32-33 mpg with my driving, very little of which is in stop-and-go conditions.

While there are other vehicles with more gadgets and technology, the ES has enough of those items to make me feel pampered. I could go through a long list of the ones that I especially like, but I'll limit myself to mentioning a couple of them. First, I applaud the Lexus designers for their placement and design of the navigation screen. The way that it is set back maximizes safety because it requires only a small movement of the eyes and no movement of the head to read, and the manner in which it is recessed makes it the most easily readable screen that I've had on any vehicle in all types of light. Next, even though there are some who have complained about the ventilated seats, the heated seats provide good heat more quickly than the seats in any other vehicle that I've owned with heated seats. Also, as the weather has turned cooler, I've come to appreciate the heated steering wheel, and I haven't found the limited area of the wheel that produces heat to prevent it from being effective. Finally, the ergonomics of the vehicle put the various controls and features of the vehicle where it seems that they should be, and little things like the design of the cup holders are a big improvement over the flimsy, spring-loaded ones that they were in my previously owned 2006 ES.

I hope that others will add their thoughts about what they like about the ES, and I also hope that others will decide that it would not be appropriate to hijack the thread by turning it around and into one in which people will start complaining about things that they don't like. There are plenty of other threads for doing that.
Old 11-03-13, 04:41 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I will talk about the ES300h. This car is the perfect combination of:
1- Luxury at a reasonable price
2- Fuel economy(40mpg) in a large car
3- Interior comfort and ride
4- Reliability
5- V-Good performance for a hybrid while
maintaining excellent fuel economy
I think lexus did excellent job in creating this car. I don't think there is any other car that combine all these elements as well as the ES 300h
Old 11-03-13, 04:51 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
I will talk about the ES300h. This car is the perfect combination of:
1- Luxury at a reasonable price
2- Fuel economy(40mpg) in a large car
3- Interior comfort and ride
4- Reliability
5- V-Good performance for a hybrid while
maintaining excellent fuel economy
I think lexus did excellent job in creating this car. I don't think there is any other car that combine all these elements as well as the ES 300h
ditto - the 300h is exactly what I was waiting for to move up from my Camry hybrid.
Old 11-03-13, 05:47 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I'll keep it to just a few of my favorites:

1 - Mark Levinson audio system (Yes, still the original amp). The sound is extremely clear and sonically pleasing. I've never heard a better factory audio system.

2 - Panoramic sunroof. It makes the car stand out, open or closed. Makes bird crap on the roof a non issue, too.

3 - The comfort of the driver's seat. So many adjustments, including the cushion extender, make it fit like a glove. I feel like I could drive all day without needing to rest.
Old 11-03-13, 06:05 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Well I traded up from an Avalon to the 350. Same engine, smooth and powerful. Interior tastefully done with leather. The ride is fantastic and I am truly satisfied. I have no complaints. Having this forum to trade ideas and communication with other Lexus owners is, for me, the best...
Old 11-04-13, 12:01 PM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 ES350

1. Power and stability. When I punch it, the response is immediate, smooth, and satisfying. And when driving at high speeds (85-95 mph), the car feels firmly planted and stable.

2. Blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alerts are implemented well. Both work fantastically. The other morning I was backing out of my garage at 4 AM. The cross-traffic alert went off and when I looked a woman and her dog were jogging on the sidewalk. I would have most likely totally missed that.

3. I like the whole keyless implementation. It is nice to be able to lock the door with a touch at ANY doorhandle. Frequently the last thing I do is pull my children out of the backseat on either side of the car. A simple touch on any door to lock it is nice.

4. Steering wheel stiffening up/becoming tighter when in Sport Mode. Easier to roll through the curves with the tighter-feeling steering.
Old 11-04-13, 01:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by oneor11
2013 ES350

1. Power and stability. When I punch it, the response is immediate, smooth, and satisfying. And when driving at high speeds (85-95 mph), the car feels firmly planted and stable.

2. Blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alerts are implemented well. Both work fantastically. The other morning I was backing out of my garage at 4 AM. The cross-traffic alert went off and when I looked a woman and her dog were jogging on the sidewalk. I would have most likely totally missed that.

3. I like the whole keyless implementation. It is nice to be able to lock the door with a touch at ANY doorhandle. Frequently the last thing I do is pull my children out of the backseat on either side of the car. A simple touch on any door to lock it is nice.

4. Steering wheel stiffening up/becoming tighter when in Sport Mode. Easier to roll through the curves with the tighter-feeling steering.
I agree with all 4 of your choices. I've especially become spoiled by number 3. I've gotten so used to not having to take the key fob out of my pocket to start the vehicle or to lock or unlock the doors that, when I'm driving my older GX, I often reach to push a button (that is not there) to try to start the vehicle or reach to touch a door handle to try to lock or unlock the vehicle before I remember that I need to physically use the key fob.
Old 11-04-13, 02:02 PM
CodemanGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atoyota
ditto - the 300h is exactly what I was waiting for to move up from my Camry hybrid.
My thought, as well. Drove a Prius for four years. I am very pleased, so far.
Old 11-04-13, 02:23 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently spending a week in a Cadillac ATS drove down the Florida coast all the way here to Key West. Things I am missing from the ES:

1) Engine and transmission smoothness. The Lexus is so far ahead in this department, it's a shame
2) Interior build quality. While there are more soft, rubberized surfaces in the Cadillac there are rattles, squeaks and creaks everywhere. The ES is silent and is tightly put together.
3) Enform and remote touch. OnStar couldn't give me recommendations on places to dine based on preferences. They "had to search by name". the placement of the touch screen and finger prints are a major nuisance.
4) The ride quality and comfort of the ES

Next rental will be an MB E350, will see how the trusty ES compares
Old 11-04-13, 05:38 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 2013 ES350 Ultra Luxury (Upgraded from a 2007 ES350 Ultra Luxury) and I love how smooth and quiet the car is.
I also love the fact that you never really feel the car shift in normal mode even though it is not a cvt
I also love the sport mode selector as it really changes the eagerness of the car to get up and go (I only use it when I know I am going to have to get a little more aggressive).
I also love the way they made the Mark Levinson Audio more powerful as the one in my 2007 Ultra Luxury was great sounding but would bottom out the sub woofer when pushed hard, the new system handles everything in stride.
I absolutely love the fact that the ES350 runs on regular instead of premium fuel now.
I love the power trunk.
I love how smooth the shift lever feels and sounds compared to my 2007 Ultra Luxury .
I love the way the 2013 looks compared to the 2007.
I love the Blind Spot Monitor (Great feature) and cross-traffic (Really comes in handy).
I love that I can program the Navigation from my Laptop while still in the house doing other things (mostly waiting for the teenager to get ready)
It’s crazy to talk about this car and not mention how well Lexus has done the keyless entry, On most other cars with the exception of some really high end ones like Bentley, you don’t push a button on the handle to unlock the vehicle, you simply grab the handle, the car knows it’s you so why would you need to push a button. Pushing the button makes more sense when locking the car and Lexus even took that to the next level by eliminating the physical button and just having the little indents!!!
The Panoramic Roof is something that I am used to from my previous ES, but I still love it and wouldn’t want to be without it, looks great on this car.
I love the way the Armrest storage area where the usb port and other outlets are is lighted, makes a huge difference when it is dark.

Last edited by imz14u2nv; 11-04-13 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Add additional items
Old 11-04-13, 07:57 PM
hesperion
Driver School Candidate

First and foremost, I love how it looks. From the front, it's absolutely killer.

The seats are wonderfully designed and extremely comfortable. With all of my previous cars, the seat was too short and the headrest ended up against the middle of my shoulder blades. With the ES, it's like I sit in a mold that was designed for my dimensions.

Interior fit and finish. Coming from an Infiniti G35 and an Acura TL, it's like night and day.

And lastly, I love how it only requires regular fuel.

Last edited by hesperion; 11-04-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 08:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted a luxury hybrid, so the Prius or the Camry didn't do. Nor did the Ford Fusion or even the Lexus CTh or HSh. So when the 300h was announced, this was a no brainer. I might have considered the 2013 Avalon, but it was not out yet and I'm satisfied with my 2 other Lexus.

I am especially happy with the FE and with regular fuel.
Old 11-05-13, 06:43 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
I love how smooth the shift lever feels and sounds compared to my 2007 Ultra Luxury .
See this is the only thing I strongly disagree about. When I put my 2013 ES 350 out of park, it makes a loud noise and it has some force that comes with it. I don't know if it is because instead of having a simple parallel shifter up and down, it makes you move to the right, then down to get to reverse, then drive. Happens every single time no matter how quickly or slowly I put it out of park.
Old 11-05-13, 06:54 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brozee
See this is the only thing I strongly disagree about. When I put my 2013 ES 350 out of park, it makes a loud noise and it has some force that comes with it. I don't know if it is because instead of having a simple parallel shifter up and down, it makes you move to the right, then down to get to reverse, then drive. Happens every single time no matter how quickly or slowly I put it out of park.
This is a thread about what you LIKE about the car!

I love all the cool options it has.. Especially the parking sensors..
Old 11-05-13, 07:17 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
You may want to get that looked at. The only noise mine makes shifting out of park is the doors locking.

I absolutely love the look of the dash lighting/ambient lighting at night. It's just pretty. Very well done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you really like about your 2013 (or 2014) ES