Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Biggest problem or disappointment you've had with your ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 01:56 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way the doors close.. It seems like if you don't slam them they don't closes all the way..
Old 11-03-13, 05:29 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
The way the doors close.. It seems like if you don't slam them they don't closes all the way..
I do not have that issue.
Old 11-03-13, 06:04 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
I do not have that issue.
Maybe I'm just getting old..
Didn't have this issue with my 2007 ES350 maybe the doors are heavier on the 2013.
Old 11-03-13, 07:15 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have this problem either.
Old 11-03-13, 07:41 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am not sure what you mean exactly, but here what my observation is. there is noticeable difference between the weight of the front door, and the back one. Closing the front door is very easy you just give the door a little push and the weight of the door has a momentum that boosts your push and the door closes. The back doors are very light compared to the front ones and so you don't get much help, and you need to slam a little harder.
Old 11-03-13, 09:30 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
I am not sure what you mean exactly, but here what my observation is. there is noticeable difference between the weight of the front door, and the back one. Closing the front door is very easy you just give the door a little push and the weight of the door has a momentum that boosts your push and the door closes. The back doors are very light compared to the front ones and so you don't get much help, and you need to slam a little harder.
i noticed this on my 350 just the other day… the front doors are much heavier than the back ones.
Old 11-04-13, 05:33 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, my problem is they don't say open, its like auto close... wide open yes they stay open but in a tight parking spot? that half way notch is not like my other cars...
Old 11-09-13, 01:30 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
+1
Toyota and Lexus have never been on the cutting edge with regard to technology and gadgets.

Over the last 15 years or so, 6 of the 9 vehicles that I've owned have been Toyota or Lexus products, and, with each of those vehicles, there have been a good number of competitors whose use of technology and gadgets surpassed those of Toyota and Lexus.

When a manufacturer designs and builds a car, it has to stay within a budget limit to remain competitive with similar vehicles from other manufacturers. Some manufacturers use that money to include that cutting edge technology and and a basketful of gadgets. Toyota and Lexus seem to place their priorities on build quality and dependability. Doing so often means not including new technology until its dependability has been proven and until its cost has come down. The top-of-the-line 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited that I owned, for example, lacked the full-time all-wheel drive technology and even simpler gadgets like heated seats that some of its competitors were including in their vehicles. Yet, it was the best built and most dependable SUV that I had ever driven.

My choice of a 2013 ES was not based on it being on the cutting edge of technology. If I wanted to be on that cutting edge and if I wanted to maximize the number of gadgets available, I could have bought a Chevy Impala and, at the same time, saved quite a few dollars. I, however, chose to buy an ES because I was looking for a front-wheel drive vehicle that would be as dependable as possible and one that gave me a comfortable ride while maximizing isolation of noise from the road, from the engine, and from the wind as possible. In terms of meeting those qualifications, I don't think that anyone does a better job than Lexus did with the ES. At the same time, though, I knew that I was buying a vehicle whose use of technology and whose array of gadgets would not match those from some of the other manufacturers for, most likely, another generation.
You've described an anvil. Low tech, dependable, durable. I think I'd like my ride to be dependable but have some tech and luxuries.
Old 11-09-13, 02:27 PM
lovexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2013 ES300h Ultra. My biggest disappointment is the power trunk closer. Although it can be opened by pressing the button inside the car. It doesn't close it by press it again. I have to go out of the car and press the close button on the trunk. Also, the key fab can only open the trunk, you can't close it with the key fab.
Old 11-09-13, 02:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
You've described an anvil. Low tech, dependable, durable. I think I'd like my ride to be dependable but have some tech and luxuries.
If you truly believe that the ES is an anvil, then, it isn't the car for you, and, instead of spending time considering a car that doesn't meet your needs, you should be buying an Impala or a Hyundai or some other car with enough gadgets to satisfy you. And those for whom the ES does meet their needs won't mind one bit that you chose to buy something other than an ES.
Old 11-09-13, 03:48 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lovexus
I have the 2013 ES300h Ultra. My biggest disappointment is the power trunk closer. Although it can be opened by pressing the button inside the car. It doesn't close it by press it again. I have to go out of the car and press the close button on the trunk. Also, the key fab can only open the trunk, you can't close it with the key fab.
I know! How hard would it be to link the remote and the inside button to the trunk button? This has baffled me since day one.
Old 11-09-13, 04:36 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chewbach
Various Idiosyncrasies and inconsistencies of the nav/media/phone interface and system. Examples:

- The nav will talk during a phone call.
Believe it or not, I actually like the Navigation talking over the phone, On my 2007 ES350 Ultra Luxury, it didn’t do that and I would have to really pay attention to the screen when I was on a call, sometimes I would actually tell the person that called that I would call them back and the reason I did that was so that I wouldn’t miss my exit when I was navigating to an un-known place. I will say it is a little weird that it does it now, but I’ll take it. The only problem that I see is that if you don’t want the person on the phone to know where you are going, that could be a problem.
Old 11-09-13, 04:41 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redog
3. You must be a contortionist to access the center console.
Yes,
I agree, I have the ES350 and once your seat moves to your normal driving position, you cannot get in there without feeling like you are going to break the door.

My 2007 ES was much better in that regard.
Old 11-10-13, 05:45 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I know! How hard would it be to link the remote and the inside button to the trunk button? This has baffled me since day one.
I have to wonder if it isn't "safety" considering all the effort to stop kids from being locked in trunks. It would seem the inside safety latch solves that problem, but it could be they want you looking inside before you close it.
Old 11-10-13, 07:20 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jim256
I have to wonder if it isn't "safety" considering all the effort to stop kids from being locked in trunks. It would seem the inside safety latch solves that problem, but it could be they want you looking inside before you close it.
I doubt it's a safety mandate, since other manufactures allow it.

Quick Reply: Biggest problem or disappointment you've had with your ES300h