Jamrock27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thank you
Old 01-06-14, 09:36 AM
Jamrock27
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much but everyone knows to use common sense driving in inclement weather. I am simply trying to determine the ES 300H capabilities as equipped with factory tires
Old 02-13-14, 04:13 AM
Allegator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Here's the issue...experience driving the ES350 in the snow and the ES300h in the snow won't always be applicable. My two previous ES's were okay in the snow. Not great, but okay. Would have been better on winter tires but we don't really have the climate for them down in MD.

I will tell you that our old Prius was almost undrivable in the snow, and the reason for that was the overzealous traction control system. Apparently the hybrid system doesn't like wheelspin, so the system was designed to not allow any...which is a problem when trying to get going in the snow. All power would just shut down whenever the slightest wheelspin was detected.

Now, that was 10 years ago...technology has improved maybe its not an issue anymore...but be careful when assuming the 300h will be fine because the 350 is. I would like to see some experiences specifically of 300h drivers in the snow...

If your Camry can't get up a hill, the ES won't either 350 or 300h.
No, things haven't gotten better with Toyotas; same experience with my 2011 Camry Hybrid. Totally unusable due to this issue. You can't spin even a tiny drop, in an effort to power forward or to rock yourself out of a slippery spot. My car is worthless in Maryland, with just a few inches of unplowed snow on the ground.
Old 02-13-14, 05:46 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Allegator
No, things haven't gotten better with Toyotas; same experience with my 2011 Camry Hybrid. Totally unusable due to this issue. You can't spin even a tiny drop, in an effort to power forward or to rock yourself out of a slippery spot. My car is worthless in Maryland, with just a few inches of unplowed snow on the ground.
Fwd Camry without snow tires right?
Old 02-13-14, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Allegator
The issue is not "Toyotas" the issue is "hybrid". Wheelspin is quite detrimental to the hybrid system, which is why the traction control system doesn't allow much of it.
Old 02-13-14, 09:47 PM
Jamrock27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS

The issue is not "Toyotas" the issue is "hybrid". Wheelspin is quite detrimental to the hybrid system, which is why the traction control system doesn't allow much of it.
Thank you guys, these are the constructive information I am looking for
Old 02-14-14, 04:40 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Trac Off button will defeat the traction control (but not the stability control) and allow wheel spin. An ES300h in Sport Mode and Trac Off will smoke the tires abundantly...
Old 04-27-14, 06:26 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

So now that the winter is over, what was the overall experience with winter driving and the Lexus implementation of the Toyota hybrid drive?
Old 06-06-14, 12:15 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello!

I'd be also interested to hear winter experiences with this hybrid system. Local car magazine made a winter test with IS 300h in it, otherwise they liked it (good heater and handling), but agressive traction control took power away too much. If you turn it off, electronic differential lock will turn off too.

Of 15 tested cars, IS 300h came fourth in that test btw.

Last edited by nacke; 06-06-14 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-28-23, 09:21 AM
Rileyroo
2nd gear

Default Snow Here We Come

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hello Everyone - I will be moving from the AZ desert, to the Oregon mountains in my 2015 Lexus ES300 Hybrid. I'm trying to read between the lines, but from what I understand is that the Hybrid does not do well in snow conditions with non-winter tires due to the 'wheelspin' that can cause the car to lock-up due to the traction control. But this can be avoided by having winter tires on the vehicle. Please confirm that I'm on the right track here. Also, with snow tires on, do I leave the car in sport mode or not?

Thanks so much.

Old 11-28-23, 09:36 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

Maybe consider starting a new thread. This one was last commented on 9 years ago. As far as driving in snow, I'm guessing you've never had to do that before? If so, absolutely do NOT use sport mode; you want everything including shifts, steering, and braking to be as smooth and gentle as possible. Traction control will not cause the wheels to "lock up" but rather transfer power from a spinning tire to a non-spinning tire. "Stability control" is different but it will not cause you to "lock up" neither. (Most lock-up is caused by drivers panicking and slamming on the brakes). Tires...many people do not realize that the real secret to winter tires is not "just" the tread pattern but rather the compound of the rubber itself...they are designed to be more flexible at temperatures below about 35-40F than summer or even "all season" or "all weather" tires. That is true even when the pavement is bare and dry but the temperature is near, at, or below the freezing point. I drive in temperatures a lot lower than what you'll likely experience in Oregon; I use Michelin CrossClimate II tires for my spring/summer/fall use and have a separate set of Michelin X-Ice on different rims for winter use (about mid-October to Easter "up here"). It (having a separate set of winter tires) is not really an added expense...miles put on your winter tires are miles not put on your summer tires so they'll last longer as long as you store them out of the sun. Certainly a lot cheaper than the deductible on a fender bender insurance claim! I recommend watching a YouTube channel called "Tyre Reviews"; it has many clips of winter driving and tire differences and how they affect traction.

Last edited by Tootsall; 11-28-23 at 09:51 AM.