ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What are the body-colored stickers on back door?

Old 08-29-13, 06:45 PM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the body-colored stickers on back door?

On my silver ES, I noticed what I thought were scratches, but are actually the seams of body-colored stickers of some sort on the bottom, rear corner of both rear passenger doors and another strip sticker at the bottom of the front part of the rear fender that bumps up to the rear doors. I see some ES'es with them and some without- most without.

What is the function of these? The seams keep catching my eyes and bothering me. Can they be removed? Should I remove them? Thanks for the help. I know I'm loaded with questions today heh.

Jacob
Old 08-29-13, 07:26 PM
jbm79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 300h has them, and these are actually clear adhesives, not paint-colored. I believe these are meant to protect your paint from rock chips.
Old 08-29-13, 07:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jbm79
My 300h has them, and these are actually clear adhesives, not paint-colored. I believe these are meant to protect your paint from rock chips.
Correct. Same for my IS.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-29-13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:36 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, they are just vinyl, something similar to clearbra, to protect from rock chips etc. And I think with a closer look you will see them on all ES's. They are effective but I too find them distracting.

Dave Mac
Old 08-30-13, 05:02 AM
howardj
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure that is what they call the Rear Bumper App. It's part of the Accessory package that includes the trunk mat,cargo net, and wheel locks. The sticker price for the package is $318.00. If you check your window sticker and/or invoice and that amt. is listed that's what it is.
Old 08-30-13, 06:48 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by howardj
I'm pretty sure that is what they call the Rear Bumper App. It's part of the Accessory package that includes the trunk mat,cargo net, and wheel locks. The sticker price for the package is $318.00. If you check your window sticker and/or invoice and that amt. is listed that's what it is.
No, the rear bumper applique is just a clear tape with a Lexus logo that is applied to the horizontal top of the bumper, to protect it from scrapes by luggage. The door vinyl "stickers" are as described, for stone nick prevention, and are on most, if not all, Toyotas and Lexus.
Old 08-30-13, 06:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Every ES350 I've seen has these appliques. They are for paint protection on the doors and fender and IMO are a very valuable prevention against damage.
Old 08-30-13, 08:56 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Jim said, the bumper applique is different . It's the clear plastic with a transparent Lexus logo over the top of the bumper to protect it, and yes, it's an option. The clear plastic behind the rear door//fender is to protect from rock chips, and it's free. Woo hoo.
Old 08-30-13, 09:46 AM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information everyone. I guess I'll keep them on. I suppose I prefer looking at the seam every once in a while as opposed to big rock chips.
Old 12-23-13, 08:44 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed these at delivery and figured they are to protect the paint from rock chips. I'm thinking of adding the front mud guards and maybe removing the clear patches if I notice they stay cleaner.
Old 12-23-13, 09:49 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfmoon
I noticed these at delivery and figured they are to protect the paint from rock chips. I'm thinking of adding the front mud guards and maybe removing the clear patches if I notice they stay cleaner.
I found that after you've had the car for awhile, washed and waxed it several times, that the wax builds up on the edges of the applique. Tough to remove, but possible.
Old 12-23-13, 12:18 PM
Halfmoon
Driver

Just curios if anyone has removed them. Have you notice the mud guards keep that area cleaner and hopefully rock chip free?

I just skimmed through all 29 pages and subscribed to the ones that were questions I had and found the answer in them.

Great site
Old 12-23-13, 04:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I would be hesitant to remove that protective film. It is actually placed quite strategically in the areas where the rear quarter panels flare out and are quite vulnerable to rock chips, and, even with front mud flaps, small rocks are still likely to bounce off of the pavement or off of the mud flaps and, then, the pavement and strike that area.

The way that I look at it is that if, eventually, you can't live with the protective film, you can take it off at any time in the future, but, once you get the stone chips, the only cure is paint work. And I would be especially careful to do anything I could to avoid paint work if my vehicle was a pearl white, a pearl or metallic red, a light silver, or a light gold because those are colors that are especially difficult, particularly the pearl whites and the pearl and metallic reds, to do paint work on that will get a match that will satisfy those with a discerning eye related to fits and finishes. With regard to wax build up, it can easily be removed with a couple of gentle strokes from a wet tooth brush. Also, while the look of the film may bother (some) owners of the vehicle, it is not in a spot that is likely to catch the eye of others, and, even for the owners of the vehicle, it is likely to be bothersome only when washing the vehicle and deciding to fix one's eyes on that spot. For me, I wish that Lexus has decided to put similar protection in a couple of other spots on the vehicle.

Last edited by lesz; 12-23-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 03:55 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

"The way that I look at it is that if, eventually, you can't live with the protective film, you can take it off at any time in the future"

I think you are right. I'll leave it alone for now.

Thanks
Old 08-16-18, 08:51 PM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Reviving an old thread, but has this clear protective film turned yellow over time? Noticed this on mine as well and it looks a bit yellow to me (car is the eminent white pearl)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the body-colored stickers on back door?