ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Enform Apps and Windows Phone

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 08:26 PM
markwill12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
Microsoft put all their eggs in one basket by buying Nokia.

Their Windows Lumia phone is exclusive to AT&T.
John
Well, if you ignore Verizon and TMobile who also offer Lumia phones then, yes, I guess you could call that an exclusive

In terms of all the eggs being in one basket HTC, Samsung and Huawei also make Windows Phones.

Mark

Last edited by markwill12; 09-22-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-29-14, 03:54 PM
breite07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus e300h / Windows Phone 920 issue

I cant get my incoming messages (texts) to be read over the speakers and I certainly can't use voice commands to respond to them. My wife's IPhone works great. Time to get rid of the Windows Phone ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 04-08-15, 08:01 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by breite07
I cant get my incoming messages (texts) to be read over the speakers and I certainly can't use voice commands to respond to them. My wife's IPhone works great. Time to get rid of the Windows Phone ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Works fine on my HTC one windows and wife's Lumia830.

Just chiming in on the main topic. I think if the car has this functionality, then there is an obligation to make an app. Forget about market share. There are millions of windows phone users. I believe Lexus has an obligation to those users.

It is the cost of doing business
Old 01-01-17, 07:13 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Reviving an old thread here but has anyone heard if there is any movement on development of an Enform app and remote start app for the Windows phone?

I received a Windows phone for work and I have been pleasantly surprised. I have been a long-time Apple phone user and before that a Blackberry user. Our personal phones started with an HTC Android and then moved to Apple. So I have experience with all the mobile phone ecosystems and really wasn't expecting much from the Microsoft Windows phone. After using it for about a month now, I have found it to be an excellent phone. The display is equally as sharp as the much vaunted Apple Retina display and it is easily as fast opening or accessing apps. Most of the major third party apps are now there - such as travel or weather apps. Even support for a range of smartwatches is available. The only real limitation (for my needs) are the Lexus Enform apps.

The phone paired up with the car just fine and transferred the contact list, but lacks the remote start app - as well as the other Enform apps. The temps here have ranged from single digits at night to high teens for the daytime highs, so we have been using the remote start some. It would be nice to have that functionality with my work phone.

It seems odd to me that other manufacturers have embraced all the smartphone platforms, yet Lexus seems stuck on Apple and Android. Heck, even my friend's Chevy Camaro has the Windows Mobile functionality. It seems Lexus is behind the curve in terms of software development for their cars. The Windows phone hasn't ever enjoyed a large market share but they have been in the market quite some time. At some point, I would think Lexus' resistance to other platforms could become a liability. Some people want their new car purchase to comply with their phones rather than mandate certain brands of phones for full functionality.

I guess if the Windows phone was a crappy little phone I wouldn't be so disappointed, but I have found it to be a very nice phone, equal and in some respects better than some competitors. So yes, I am disappointed that I can only use the Enform Apps if I happen to work for an organization that chooses Android or Apple devices, or if I obtain my own phone just for that purpose. Talk about making the remote start app cost prohibitive...
Old 01-01-17, 10:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Reviving an old thread here but has anyone heard if there is any movement on development of an Enform app and remote start app for the Windows phone?
With about 1% market share, I would be surprised if there was. Maybe if there were a web-based option???
Old 01-01-17, 12:36 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
With about 1% market share, I would be surprised if there was. Maybe if there were a web-based option???
The funny thing about statistics is that you can always find one that supports your position. How about 10%? http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-market-share/

I have no doubt the overall market share is low. I would have never considered a Windows phone before but I have been impressed. At this point, the Lexus remote start is the only thing I really miss.
Old 01-01-17, 08:20 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
The funny thing about statistics is that you can always find one that supports your position. How about 10%? http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-market-share/
Not meaning to be combative, but the link you provided shows lower than 1%.

"Taking a look at the numbers, things don’t look great for Microsoft. The overall Windows Phone market is at 0.7 percent worldwide,"

It's too bad MS missed the boat on mobile. The more competition, the better.
Old 01-01-17, 09:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Oops. My mistake. You are indeed correct. I scanned it quickly and totally misread their point. They were referring to percentage of Windows phone users that were on Windows 10 mobile, rather than total market share. Thank you for setting me straight on that. In light of that, your first statement is likely/sadly correct. Lexus/Toyota probably isn't going to bother.

Its really too bad. The Microsoft Lumia is as nice as my iPhone 6 in every respect I can see except for range of apps (oh - and the battery only lasts one day). There are even several smartwarches supported.