ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 10:13 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I was just looking at that illustration today. Whenever I get these I'll probably just pay a shop to do the front.
Lol I had the same idea when I saw that pic as well.
Old 07-28-13, 12:53 PM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics - Rear Turn Signals - V-Leds RED V3 Triton LED System

Decided to share some pics of the rear turn signals using the V-Leds RED V3 Triton LED System. Pics don't do it justice, these are crazy bright especially at night. Doesn't appear pink in the daytime unlike others I have seen on the road.
Attached Thumbnails Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-daylight_rear_led_ts.jpg   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-night_rear_led_ts.jpg  
Old 07-28-13, 12:56 PM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Default Need Recommendations???

Has anyone changed out the side marker lights with LEDs? Wondering which ones to purchase, I believe the 194 LEDs would fit but should I get the 360, flank, forward or universals? I will probably wait to change them all at one, since I'll have the wheel well opened up. Also contemplating changing out my Morimoto XB35 H11 bulbs for 3K HID bulb for the fogs lights, to get that JDM look and to actually be more functional fog lights. Since it doesn't appear that TheRetrofitsource (TRS) carry 3K bulbs, I'm looking for recommendations. I would also like to know if anyone has change out their foot well and mirror puddle lights? Again which LED and style of bulb? The foot wells appear to be LED already but they are little weak.
Old 07-28-13, 03:25 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusrhyno
Decided to share some pics of the rear turn signals using the V-Leds RED V3 Triton LED System. Pics don't do it justice, these are crazy bright especially at night. Doesn't appear pink in the daytime unlike others I have seen on the road.
Whew! They do look bright! Can you share with us any difficulties during the install? Any tips now that you have done it. Thanks...
Old 07-28-13, 07:13 PM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Default TRS does carry 3000K HID bulbs corrected

Has anyone changed out the side marker lights with LEDs? Wondering which ones to purchase, I believe the 194 LEDs would fit but should I get the 360, flank, forward or universals? I will probably wait to change them all at one, since I'll have the wheel well opened up. Also contemplating changing out my Morimoto XB35 H11 bulbs for 3K HID bulb for the fogs lights, to get that JDM look and to actually be more functional fog lights. Since it doesn't appear that TheRetrofitsource (TRS) carry 3K bulbs, I'm looking for recommendations. I would also like to know if anyone has change out their foot well and mirror puddle lights? Again which LED and style of bulb? The foot wells appear to be LED already but they are little weak.
My mistake TheRetrofitSource (TRS) does carry 3000K H11 bulbs. I guess Matt @ TRS should be expecting another order from me shortly. I was looking at the XB35 H11 which are not available in 3000K. I don't even know why I wrote 3K in the previous post, brain freeze. The K is for Kelvins, even I know that.
Old 08-01-13, 12:08 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

For Lexusrhyno: I have a question regarding the socket adapters. If you use a socket adapter in the OEM Lexus turn signal socket, how did you mount the other end of the cable with the new LED bulb?
Old 08-03-13, 10:21 AM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Default V3 Triton LED "System" not just a bulb

Originally Posted by bc6152
For Lexusrhyno: I have a question regarding the socket adapters. If you use a socket adapter in the OEM Lexus turn signal socket, how did you mount the other end of the cable with the new LED bulb?
The VLEDs "V3 Triton LED System" is just that a system. The bulb itself isn't compatible with the OEM factory socket. The bulb has to be connected to the Control Module which has an optional resistor load built-in. This option can removed by removing a small fuse incorporated into the wire harness. The connector from the Control Module goes into I believe 8 types or styles of adapters for varying applications, in this case 7443. I have attached pics for anyone interested.

Unboxing the VLED - V3 Triton LED System Gen2
Attached Thumbnails Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-v3_triton_amber_box.png   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-v3_parts.png   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-plug-from-the-led.png   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-socket_adapter.png  
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-13, 11:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Did the "new" socket - the one that holds the LED - mount into the Lexus taillight housing? i.e. twist and pull out the factory amber bulb and socket from the housing, insert new LED and socket into factory hole and twist to secure. If not, how did you mount the new LED in the taillight?

BTW, the photos are excellent...

Last edited by bc6152; 08-03-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 11:34 AM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Did the "new" socket - the one that holds the LED - mount into the Lexus taillight housing? i.e. twist and pull out the factory amber bulb and socket from the housing, insert new LED and socket into factory hole and twist to secure.
Yes, initially looking it the system, it is appear quite daunting for all this hardware to replace the functionality of a single wedge base bulb. There is a black finned collar with 6 predrilled screw holes for you to matchup with your factory bulb's lock tabs. I used only 2 screws in 180 degree pattern, exactly across from each other. This locking collar twists into the taillight housing, then you can twist the bulb deeper into the housing if you like. The anodized collar then screws in behind the black collar to lock the position of the LED in place. The hard part is finding a place for and securing the control module as well as the excess wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-led-bulb.png  
Old 08-03-13, 02:25 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Yes, initially looking it the system, it is appear quite daunting for all this hardware to replace the functionality of a single wedge base bulb. There is a black finned collar with 6 predrilled screw holes for you to matchup with your factory bulb's lock tabs. I used only 2 screws in 180 degree pattern, exactly across from each other. This locking collar twists into the taillight housing, then you can twist the bulb deeper into the housing if you like. The anodized collar then screws in behind the black collar to lock the position of the LED in place. The hard part is finding a place for and securing the control module as well as the excess wiring.
Ok, Now I get it. I couldn't understand how the new socket was secured and didn't know about the additional screws that act as socket tabs. You explained that clearly and I appreciate your taking the photos and answering my questions. Now I have to order the set. Good Luck with yours...
Old 08-04-13, 03:39 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok, Now I get it. I couldn't understand how the new socket was secured and didn't know about the additional screws that act as socket tabs. You explained that clearly and I appreciate your taking the photos and answering my questions. Now I have to order the set. Good Luck with yours...
Here is the pic of the plug n play connected and working.
Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-photo.jpg
Old 08-08-13, 01:26 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I found the VLED Tritons to be too large with no good place to secure them in the taillight. I ordered two (2) universal sockets with decoders attached and two (2) amber LED's from ijdmtoy. The universal sockets will not fit the factory Lexus mounting hole accessible in the trunk area. I used a Dremel tool to modify the sockets and they now fit perfectly and very securely, locking into place with tabs. Cost: bulbs were $29.99 a pair and the sockets with decoders were $12.99 a pair. They work perfectly, are stored completely inside the taillight compartment, and look beautiful. No factory wiring or hardware was altered in the process.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/7440-LED-Hy...9.htm?CartID=1
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/18-SMD-5050...443_sku201.htm

Last edited by bc6152; 08-08-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-08-13, 09:45 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could someone please write a DIY on this project? Maybe others would like to attempt it. Thanks.
Old 08-09-13, 07:48 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
Could someone please write a DIY on this project? Maybe others would like to attempt it. Thanks.
After ordering and receiving the ijdmtoy LED adapters and bulbs, you must modify the socket to make it fit into the Lexus factory mounting hole.

The square edges of the socket must be beveled off, all four edges. The circular lips (2) at the front of the socket must be cut off square with the remaining surface. There are 4 tabs on the universal socket, two - the larger of the four - are cut off even with the body. Before beveling the edges and cutting off the large tabs you must remove the black rubber gasket so that it does not get damaged. After all this you can insert the socket into the factory mounting hole, line up the small tabs, twist and lock it in place. I used a Dremel tool and it took less than 5 minutes for each socket. Make sure you wear glasses as plastic chips fly everywhere.
1.Open trunk and remove turn signal compartment cover.
2.Turn factory T.S. socket CCW and remove. You will see an amber bulb. Remove bulb by pulling straight out.
3.Insert the male end (plug) of wiring assembly (the ijdmtoy) into the Lexus socket firmly.
4.Insert the LED bulb into the modified ijdmtoy socket, insert this socket into the Lexus factory mounting hole, line up the small tabs, twist and lock into place.
5.Use a zip tie to secure remaining wiring and stuff it into the taillight space.
6.Turn on the ignition and check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image001.jpg   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image003.jpg  
Old 08-09-13, 07:52 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Additional photos...
Attached Thumbnails Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image006.jpg   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image007.jpg   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image008.jpg   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image005.jpg   Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-image009.jpg  

Quick Reply: Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?