ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 07:16 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txes
Just put the Avalon tips on the ES.

John
That does look better..
Old 08-12-13, 07:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
That does look better..
I agree. When the ES and Avalon come off of the same line it will be easy to incorporate various styling themes between the two of them.
Old 08-12-13, 11:43 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was wondering if the ES with fake leather comes with real wood
The last I heard , Lexus were using some kind of recycled bamboo , so that's not exactly real wood too. So LexsCTJill's got a point there.

Originally Posted by Mike728
To each their own, but it sounds like you're comparing a loaded Avalon against a stripper ES. I drove both highly optioned, and for the $5k price difference, the ES was by far the more luxurious of the two. I couldn't stand the cap-touch controls in the Avalon, as well as the ugly center console.
Even if you take both fully loaded , Avalon works out cheaper. As I said earlier , We are paying more to Lexus only for the badge value, and for some it does matter a lot.
Old 08-12-13, 11:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The 300h comes with bamboo trim. Lexus calls it sustainable bamboo. The 350 comes with other woods.
Old 08-12-13, 01:20 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the bamboo on the 300h is in keeping with Lexus' eco-green for the hybrid line.
Old 08-12-13, 01:22 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I think the bamboo on the 300h is in keeping with Lexus' eco-green for the hybrid line.
Makes sense
Old 08-12-13, 02:19 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
The last I heard , Lexus were using some kind of recycled bamboo , so that's not exactly real wood too. So LexsCTJill's got a point there.
I forgot, bamboo is not a wood. It's grass, so you're right. If you want wood, don't opt for bamboo.
Old 08-12-13, 02:32 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

MIke - good point. In fact, if you want wood, don't get the 300h. It available only with bamboo trim.
Old 08-13-13, 09:45 AM
eumenes
Driver School Candidate

I drive 2013 IS-F but got a 2013 ES350 as a loaner car. It looks good and has a nice interior. I love the bamboo interior of the ES300h and my wife really likes the eco friendliness of the hybrid. When my son graduates from college and gets my wife's car, I see an ES300h in her future.
Old 11-23-13, 05:43 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
Just put the Avalon tips on the ES.

John
Txes,
Are these tips from Avalon Limited? Do you still have p/n? Was it direct replacement?
Thanks!
Old 11-25-13, 10:41 AM
rbruce7707
Driver School Candidate

Default Avalon vs. Lexus

Originally Posted by LexRuger
One thing I noticed when buying my ES is that the quality of the service department and showroom was a whole lot better than the average brand. I've heard of at least one Lexus dealer that has a spa at the service department. Small things like that are an added advantage of buying a premium brand vehicle.
IMO I don't want to use a service department. I bought the Lexus brand because I wanted a car with a quality standard that exceeds all others and does not require service (other than regular maintenance).

I had a 2009 Avalon. Never had one warranty service issue. Bought a 2013 ES300h. With 1500 miles the BSM went out and required replacement.

While I think the $5K difference was worth getting the Lexus, with the addition of so many technical systems to cars today, the probability of something going wrong is tremendously increased. Was very disappointed that a Lexus would not be fully operational without a system breakdown for many years/miles.
Old 11-25-13, 11:10 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by rbruce7707
IMO I don't want to use a service department. I bought the Lexus brand because I wanted a car with a quality standard that exceeds all others and does not require service (other than regular maintenance).

I had a 2009 Avalon. Never had one warranty service issue. Bought a 2013 ES300h. With 1500 miles the BSM went out and required replacement.

While I think the $5K difference was worth getting the Lexus, with the addition of so many technical systems to cars today, the probability of something going wrong is tremendously increased. Was very disappointed that a Lexus would not be fully operational without a system breakdown for many years/miles.
I think that the BSM malfunction could happen to any car and that's why there are warranties. Had a 2006 Avalon and never went back to the dealer except for the floor mat and accelerator recall. The Lexus brand is consistently rated over and above other brands for reliability.
Old 11-25-13, 05:39 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I think that the BSM malfunction could happen to any car and that's why there are warranties. Had a 2006 Avalon and never went back to the dealer except for the floor mat and accelerator recall. The Lexus brand is consistently rated over and above other brands for reliability.
Considering all of the technology and electronics in today's vehicles, I think that it is amazing that there are as few issues as there are. If you look at the reliability ratings from J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, etc., you will see that most reliability issues do have to do with the technology and electronics.

I think that younger drivers don't have the long-range perspective to realize just how far cars have come in terms of their reliability. I've been driving long enough to remember the time when a well-equipped car had an AM radio and a heater, and using "air conditioning" meant opening all the windows and driving a little faster. Back then, in the 1960s and 1970s, "reliability" meant not having the engine overheat and leave the driver stranded along the side of the road. Today, it is very rare to see a car that actually breaks down. Now, "reliability issues" generally refer to things like the navigation systems not giving good directions or the BlueTooth connection not working properly.

In the past 15 years, I've had 6 Lexus or Toyota vehicles. Other than normal maintenance, brake pads, tires, etc. the only issues requiring service that I've had on all 6 of those vehicles were a $200 repair that was needed to the climate control module on a Toyota Tacoma and $150 spent to repair a leak in the air conditioner line of my Lexus GX. I think that is a pretty amazing dependability record for over 300,000 miles of driving on those Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
Old 11-25-13, 06:53 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bc6152
I totally agree with Bill. I've had no issues with my older RX or GS, except for normal maintenance.

Art
Old 11-25-13, 06:56 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lesz
Considering all of the technology and electronics in today's vehicles, I think that it is amazing that there are as few issues as there are. If you look at the reliability ratings from J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, etc., you will see that most reliability issues do have to do with the technology and electronics.

I think that younger drivers don't have the long-range perspective to realize just how far cars have come in terms of their reliability. I've been driving long enough to remember the time when a well-equipped car had an AM radio and a heater, and using "air conditioning" meant opening all the windows and driving a little faster. Back then, in the 1960s and 1970s, "reliability" meant not having the engine overheat and leave the driver stranded along the side of the road. Today, it is very rare to see a car that actually breaks down. Now, "reliability issues" generally refer to things like the navigation systems not giving good directions or the BlueTooth connection not working properly.

In the past 15 years, I've had 6 Lexus or Toyota vehicles. Other than normal maintenance, brake pads, tires, etc. the only issues requiring service that I've had on all 6 of those vehicles were a $200 repair that was needed to the climate control module on a Toyota Tacoma and $150 spent to repair a leak in the air conditioner line of my Lexus GX. I think that is a pretty amazing dependability record for over 300,000 miles of driving on those Toyota and Lexus vehicles.
I've had older domestic cars where either 7 years or 70,000 were the numbers to expect major repairs or junk it.

Quick Reply: Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?