ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 06:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bower
Taking the looks of the vehicle out of it I can tell you the ES drive is far superior to the Avalon, forget the fancy gadgets of the Avalon and just drive the car. The ES is much quieter, when you run over bumps they feel nice and squishy in the ES while the Avalon hits them with more of a thud. Look and feel the interior and how tight things are, nothing to rattle down the road. It is a better built vehicle with a better suspension. The one downfall I noticed was the ventilated seats are much cooler in the Avalon. *shrug* my 0.2 cents.

The Avalon hybrid is about the quietest car on the road at 70 MPH..The gas powered Avalon must to be close.

"Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels)."

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon...road-test.html
Old 06-07-13, 06:42 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Based strictly on looks, I think the ES looks more elegant and understated. Not trying to be to flashy. Whereas the Avalon looks similar to a Kia.
Old 06-07-13, 08:30 AM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default and yet

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Avalon hybrid is about the quietest car on the road at 70 MPH..The gas powered Avalon must to be close.

"Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels)."

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon...road-test.html

The Lexus is quieter, drive and compare, there is no mistaking it. when you hit stuff in the Avalon you hear it more than when you hit things in the lexus, it just absorbs it.

Last edited by Bower; 06-07-13 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-07-13, 08:53 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still a big difference in overall Quality
Old 06-07-13, 09:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've read many of the reviews of both the ES and Avalon and IMO discussion of road noise, build quality, fit & finish etc. are just beauty is in the eye of the beholder quibbles. The cars are VERY similar and any differences are minor. It just comes down to personal preference. If you're cross shopping in this segment you can't go wrong on either.
Old 06-07-13, 12:05 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

I for some odd reason really prefer the looks of the Avalon more. It looks more stylish maybe not as elegant as the ES. But at night , the Avalon just looks so amazing while the ES just looks like any other car.

Apart from the steering wheel , many reviewers actually loved the Avalon's interior more than the ES and as far as refinement , cabin NVH levels , ride go ,they are all on par with the ES.ctually

In most markets Toyota's customer service is actually excellent I believe it's no different in the US as well.

From everyone's reply below , I figure the only thing the Avalon lacks is the badge value and the spa that some customers would get from Lexus. Is it worth the extra money , is up to the customer.
Old 06-07-13, 12:13 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
I for some odd reason really prefer the looks of the Avalon more.
I suppose even in Kuwait you're entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong.
Old 06-07-13, 09:00 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I suppose even in Kuwait you're entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong.
Too true!
Old 06-08-13, 05:52 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1 extra year warranty on lexus is worth something.
Old 06-08-13, 10:54 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

From my experience, the Toyota dealers are no better than the run of the mill dealers. They're not as professional as Lexus, in both the sales and service. I'm not talking about the 'spa' treatment either.
The following users liked this post:
Carbine (10-31-20)
Old 06-08-13, 11:04 AM
Mater17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
From my experience, the Toyota dealers are no better than the run of the mill dealers. They're not as professional as Lexus, in both the sales and service. I'm not talking about the 'spa' treatment either.
Having bought from both, my experience was exactly the opposite. The Lexus dealer was typical car salesman, he could have been selling me a used Ford and I wouldn't have known any difference, while the Toyota guy was super easy to deal with.

Toyota also benefits from having dealers competing with each other, while there are far fewer Lexus dealers. That said, car stealerships are very 20th century anyway, they're businesses depend entirely on information asymmetries, and Tesla is starting to change the ways these things are sold.
Old 06-08-13, 11:15 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mater17
Having bought from both, my experience was exactly the opposite. The Lexus dealer was typical car salesman, he could have been selling me a used Ford and I wouldn't have known any difference, while the Toyota guy was super easy to deal with.

Toyota also benefits from having dealers competing with each other, while there are far fewer Lexus dealers. That said, car stealerships are very 20th century anyway, they're businesses depend entirely on information asymmetries, and Tesla is starting to change the ways these things are sold.
I haven't been to a toyota dealer for over 5 years, but i don't think much has changed. I haven't seen or been to a Tesla dealer. So how are they different?
Old 06-09-13, 11:23 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by Mike728
What was I thinking ,This is an ES section thread after all .
Old 06-10-13, 07:21 AM
Bower
Driver School Candidate

Default Just so you know.

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
What was I thinking ,This is an ES section thread after all .
I don't own either car, I am in the market to buy one and I am looking at both of these cars. I like the look and drive of the Lexus more, and I like the colder seats and rear climate control + heated rear seats of the Avalon, I own two Toyotas now, so my opinion is far from biased.
Old 06-19-13, 03:35 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Just attended a county fair that includes displays of Toyota/Chevrolet/Ford vehicles.....

I sat in an Avalon and had the opportunity to assess my impressions following 4 months of ES300h ownership. While the dash conventions of the Avalon seem a bit more contemporary, I appreciate the elegance of the ES and certainly note the subtle interior refinements.

No buyers remorse, and I attempted to cross-shop both prior to purchasing. The Lexus and Toyota dealerships are adjacent, but the Avalon hybrid was fairly new. The salesman "did me the great favor" of letting me sit in a standard version, but made the barest of efforts to pursue a sale. Said he'd call me when the hybrids arrived..... still waiting! FTR, I did not cloud the issue by stating my interest in an ES - not that is should matter.

Quick Reply: Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?