ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Got Me Some 300h Mileage Goodness For My 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 07:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pintado, quite entertaining. Any other revelations? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 06-10-13, 07:47 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pintado
Thanks for the encouragement (?), but it's time to fess up. When I started this thread, I thought I'd get some questions like:

How difficult it is to DIY install the spoiler? (ANS: Easy, once you get past the idea of drilling holes in your new car!)

Or, do you need special Tools? (ANS: No, but the instructions call for 3mm and 9mm drill bits. I used 1/8" and 5/16" bits. You also need an 8mm socket, and a socket drive extension.)

Do you need the installation instructions? (ANS: It could be done without the Lexus instructions, but it's a lot easier with them. You can get a copy from your Lexus dealer, or download them from the Sewell Lexus site. The spoiler does NOT come with the instructions.)

Do you need the mylar installation template? (ANS: Again, it could probably be done without the template, but why take the chance? That's how you locate the four holes you're going to drill into your trunk lid! If you choose to do it without the template, I have some rather lengthy advice on how to do it. If you want the template at some saving, I'll mail you mine (in a custom mailing tube) for $20. I also have some advice on using the template, since the instructions are kind of cryptic!).

And the final question, why did I really install the spoiler? (ANS: Because it looks neat!).
Ahhh shoot - now you've ended all the fun. Looks like you really did a great job installing the spoiler though.

Take care, Bill G
Old 06-11-13, 06:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement (?), but it's time to fess up. When I started this thread, I thought I'd get some questions like: ....
This is the internet and you never know who's going to show up. Your original post left more questions about your sanity, than anything.

Now that you've come clean, I think you did a nice job on it. I didn't know you needed to drill into the trunk, as I thought it was somehow kept in place by adhesive. Being able to order it already painted is also good to know. Take some more pic's when you can.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 06-11-13, 03:19 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Your mileage may vary

The 2012 HS250h with no spoiler and the 2012 HS250h Premium with spoiler are both listed as getting 35 mpg combined, showing that the spoiler doesn't make much difference. Anyway my 2010 HS250h is getting 38 mpg during the summer months so I am satisfied, your mileage may vary. Here is the website for my discontinued (except in Japan) vehicle:
http://www.lexus.com/models/HSh/index.html
Old 06-11-13, 07:27 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Spoilers do add MPG. Just ask this guy.

Old 06-11-13, 08:57 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Spoilers do add MPG. Just ask this guy.

I think his tail pipe is tucked under the bumper too to reduce draft.
Old 06-14-13, 04:06 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a rudder
Old 11-04-15, 07:12 AM
KelleyBLTD
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the encouragement (?), but it's time to fess up. When I started this thread, I thought I'd get some questions like:

How difficult it is to DIY install the spoiler? (ANS: Easy, once you get past the idea of drilling holes in your new car!)

Or, do you need special Tools? (ANS: No, but the instructions call for 3mm and 9mm drill bits. I used 1/8" and 5/16" bits. You also need an 8mm socket, and a socket drive extension.)

Do you need the installation instructions? (ANS: It could be done without the Lexus instructions, but it's a lot easier with them. You can get a copy from your Lexus dealer, or download them from the Sewell Lexus site. The spoiler does NOT come with the instructions.)

Do you need the mylar installation template? (ANS: Again, it could probably be done without the template, but why take the chance? That's how you locate the four holes you're going to drill into your trunk lid! If you choose to do it without the template, I have some rather lengthy advice on how to do it. If you want the template at some saving, I'll mail you mine (in a custom mailing tube) for $20. I also have some advice on using the template, since the instructions are kind of cryptic!).

And the final question, why did I really install the spoiler? (ANS: Because it looks neat!).
Pintado,

Do you still frequent this site? If so, I'd like to see if you still have that template and/or any input that could help.

I was going to PM you, but it doesn't look like your account is setup for that. Feel free to PM me or respond here.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-15, 06:07 PM
pintado
Driver School Candidate

Kelley: I'll have to admit that I have not been monitoring this site. My excuse is that I bought another car ('16 Mazda Miata ND LE) this summer. I at first thought thought that I would keep the ES as a third car (we have an RX), but after a couple of months with the Miata, I decided to sell the ES.

I'm over in the desert now, and won't get home until next week. I'll look around for the template, and shoot you a PM. Must warn you that the price has dropped to $15...
Old 11-09-15, 06:41 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Spoiler destroys MPG

In the spirit of the OP, I'd like to share my experience. I own two white Lexus vehicles, one with rear spoiler and one without. The fuel economy varies dramatically between the two. Specifically, the Lexus without the rear spoiler actually gets twice the gas mileage of the Lexus with the factory spoiler. Obviously, the theory that a rear spoiler might increase fuel economy is a horribly flawed notion. Keep in mind, this is not my opinion. This is a well documented reality.

Old 11-09-15, 07:57 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got the hybrid and I hate the spoiler. It spoils (!) the rear boot lid line and it looks tacked on. It's even more obvious on light colored cars.

Anyone know how to remove it? I don't want to pull it off and find a few holes in the boot lid.
Old 11-09-15, 08:14 PM
KelleyBLTD
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Must warn you that the price has dropped to $15...
Haha! Thanks for the response!

I took matters into my own hands after not hearing back that day (which is very understandable).

Here's what I did, so anyone else who comes across this post may find additional info/value after seeing Pintado's original posts:
  1. I downloaded the instructions from https://techinfo.toyota.com (great resource, btw). I had to subscribe to get access, so I got the 2-day subscription so I could just get the info I needed. It was $15, and a quick search yielded me what I was looking for. I could have sworn for the life of me that I saved the PDF when I printed it out, but after searching high and low in my computer I have not been able to find it. My apologies on this one. Would have loved to post it here.
  2. The installation kit itself, which includes the drilling template, can be purchased through your local Lexus dealer. It's about $55, and they had to order it at my dealership. However, with a little bit of people skills, and a $10 tip for the service manager, I was able to borrow the service department's template for an hour, map out the holes on the trunk, and return the template before they even noticed it was gone. I recommend this if you have good people skills. I wouldn't try doing this job without the template. Spend a couple bucks and get the template or find a way to borrow one.
  3. As Pintado mentioned, after getting over the idea of drilling holes in your $40k+ vehicle, the job is very simple. Just take your time and be patient. Make sure you have some good solvent to remove the wax from the back of the trunk, and you may also want to use an adhesion promoter (liquid) to help with the bonding on the double-sided tape. I have a friend who paints cars, and he was able to loan me some to use.

Hope this helps out anyone looking to do a DIY on this.

I also added the side molding to the car during the process. Again, a simple job, but a little more attention to detail involved. Just slow down and take your time. The instructions for this job can also be found in the link above.

If I find the PDF for the spoiler installation, I will post them here.

Thanks again to the forum and to Pintado for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 11-10-15, 05:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
In the spirit of the OP, I'd like to share my experience. I own two white Lexus vehicles, one with rear spoiler and one without. The fuel economy varies dramatically between the two. Specifically, the Lexus without the rear spoiler actually gets twice the gas mileage of the Lexus with the factory spoiler. Obviously, the theory that a rear spoiler might increase fuel economy is a horribly flawed notion. Keep in mind, this is not my opinion. This is a well documented reality.
At first I thought you were being serious. Then I saw your vehicles.