ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

new ES owner, don't like control ergonomics

Old 06-06-13, 01:19 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have yet to own a new car that did not give me some annoyance or surprises that my previous car did not offend me with. This is just the natural transition from one car to the next. DON'T PANIC! To regret an entire purchase on something like the audio is unwarrented. In the event of new-car ownership, the first few months ALWAYS take some getting used to. Once over that hump, the mental thinking settles down and things become more clear and routine. Give it some time my friend! The ES is a top-notch and highly respected product.
That is definitely a fair and reasonable statement, but Lexus does need to step up the infotainment system. While I really like the remote touch interface, the software running the audio/nav/infomatics system needs an update! I'm curious to see if the soo- to-be redesigned LS will bow with the olde tyme system still in place.
Old 06-06-13, 01:30 PM
IS250Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the new ride...i love the new ES design
Old 06-06-13, 01:46 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

" I'm curious to see if the soon- to-be redesigned LS will bow with the olde tyme system still in place."

I saw the newly redesigned LS and my dealer showroom a long time ago. The interior of the ES and LS are very, very similar in design. I did not check out the electronics though. I have driven a 2013 Lexus GS as a loaner and it is pretty much the same as the ES.

I am not sure what the confusion is about the audio system. If you have the screen set correctly all the information is shown (there are at least two ways of displaying all of the info). Also when changing stations, all the audio the information is also shown at the top of the navigation display.

What kind of audio system does the Durango have that you don't have to read the display?
Old 06-06-13, 09:41 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

The LS you saw at the dealer is not newly redesigned, but just refreshed (2013)
Old 06-07-13, 12:24 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

While the 2013 LS has not been rebuilt from the round up, for the most part, it is totally different. The interior has been completely updated. The exterior design has been updated as well. It is much more than just a mid model year refresh.

Lexus has chosen the basic design it is now using for virtually all of its vehicles, including the ES GS LS . Don't expect the interior [or exterior] to change much over the next few years.

Last edited by ElliotB; 06-07-13 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-07-13, 04:15 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me about a month to become familiar enough that I could operate the sound system, Nav system, & take advantage of probably half the cool features this car has to offer. It operates different than our Jeep, and certainly different than our old Corvette. I don't understand what the fuss is about?? It is an awesome car and has more bells and whistles than you will every need. My first car didn't have a factory installed AM radio....I had a little transistor portable hanging from the mirror and was happy

I am thrilled with this new 2013....head and shoulder over the 2012 design....but I guess it is why we have choices, not every one will agree.
Old 06-07-13, 12:09 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by coach1
I am thrilled with this new 2013....head and shoulder over the 2012 design....but I guess it is why we have choices, not every one will agree.
I partially agree! It would have been so easy to include in the nav system that you could call out a station (particularly an XM station - like either channel 7 or 70s station) and not have to push any other buttons - this way your eyes remain on the road and not doing three other things to get to the station.
Old 06-07-13, 05:10 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKK
I partially agree! It would have been so easy to include in the nav system that you could call out a station (particularly an XM station - like either channel 7 or 70s station) and not have to push any other buttons - this way your eyes remain on the road and not doing three other things to get to the station.
+ 1 Jerry. Couldn't agree more...
Old 06-07-13, 05:26 PM
ysc4F92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IronCobra
So, I'm curious. My wife just called (I'm in Houston on business) and she was SOO upset at how horrible the Track pad (or whatever it is called) is on her new ES350. She said it requires WAY too much looking at the screen. She also pointed out that the screen does not display the name of the channel on the preset buttons.

She is super regretful of her purchase now. She had all these cool features on her Durango's uConnect system. It had Favorite Song notification, Record and playback of live music, and all sorts of useful features. Granted, the ES has a larger and clearer display, but the technology is truly lacking.

Seriously, what 2013 vehicle with a Nav DOESN'T display the name of the channel on the screen? Even our daughters 2011 Elantra shows the channel.

Is there anyway to inform Lexus of how dangerous they made the vehicle for drivers doing such a simple task as wanting to SEE the channel name on their 36 preset stations?

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated that I helped convince her to get the car and how she is upset with something that should be standard on any new Nav equipped vehicle.

Does anyone else with a 2013 Lexus w/Nav have this issue? Also, is there a way around it OR has Lexus announced a firmware update to address the issue?

Your wife is not alone on this...............every and i mean every review for this vehicle has nothing good to say about that mouse like radio control..... Lexus missed the boat big time! beside the vehicle drop 12 point in Consumer Report rating. I am convince Lexus will do something about it..................The phone lines at Lexus Headquarter dont stop ringing Headquarter with complaints about this issue as the dealer keep saying. This is a brand new and a different car. Performing as designed.
Old 06-07-13, 05:33 PM
ysc4F92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by txes
Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework.

John

I agree, Lexus didn't..........................................listen to the man complaints... basic, simple tasks requires so much effort.........try to use Window and drive at the same time........oopss unless you own one of the driverless vehicle out there. Then again,, u wont be driving, just R I D I N G!
Old 06-07-13, 05:44 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by ysc4F92
I agree, Lexus didn't..........................................listen to the man complaints... basic, simple tasks requires so much effort.........try to use Window and drive at the same time........oopss unless you own one of the driverless vehicle out there. Then again,, u wont be driving, just R I D I N G!
The Troll is back!
Old 06-07-13, 06:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The Troll is back!
It's been a while since we've seen the CR reference.
Old 06-07-13, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
So, I'm curious. My wife just called (I'm in Houston on business) and she was SOO upset at how horrible the Track pad (or whatever it is called) is on her new ES350. She said it requires WAY too much looking at the screen. She also pointed out that the screen does not display the name of the channel on the preset buttons.

She is super regretful of her purchase now. She had all these cool features on her Durango's uConnect system. It had Favorite Song notification, Record and playback of live music, and all sorts of useful features. Granted, the ES has a larger and clearer display, but the technology is truly lacking.
She will get used to the remote touch, tell her to give it some time. We have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has the same uConnect system her Durango had, and while it does have some neat little features that the Lexus system doesn't have, like the favorite song feature, and the satellite radio is a little better integrated with the system in the Chrysler unit (in terms of showing station names, etc, overall I find Lexus' system far superior in terms of usability in modes other than Satellite, and stability (uConnect paired to an iPhone for instance is an absolute disaster). In the Jeep I basically just use the steering wheel buttons to select stations so having the names of the stations doesn't mean much to me. Don't even get me started on how bad the voice uConnect bluetooth phone integration is...yikes.

I think as she gets used to it she will like it more, but I do agree overall Lexus is WAY behind when it comes to this area. Don't be Fanboys guys...all you have to do is use competitors systems to compare and it becomes plainly apparent to any non biased person. Competitors products offer station labels, WITH GRAPHICS, song favorites, voice control by station name (for instance, "PLAY PRIME COUNTRY" and it plays). Lexus is way behind, the Lexus interface still feels like Satellite and other data/media based audio options are tack ons (it really is basically the same system I had in my 2003 ES), while on competitors vehicles the systems are designed around them. Drive a Ford...Hyundai...whatever...the system is an upgrade. Making mention of it is the only way it will improve.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-07-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 04:09 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think as she gets used to it she will like it more, but I do agree overall Lexus is WAY behind when it comes to this area. Don't be Fanboys guys...all you have to do is use competitors systems to compare and it becomes plainly apparent to any non biased person. Competitors products offer station labels, WITH GRAPHICS, song favorites, voice control by station name (for instance, "PLAY PRIME COUNTRY" and it plays). Lexus is way behind, the Lexus interface still feels like Satellite and other data/media based audio options are tack ons (it really is basically the same system I had in my 2003 ES), while on competitors vehicles the systems are designed around them. Drive a Ford...Hyundai...whatever...the system is an upgrade. Making mention of it is the only way it will improve.
I don't disagree, although I have yet to see any manufacturer offer a system that totally nails it. I came from an Acura and the Lexus was a modest improvement.

Not to start a flame war, but the auto industry needs a technology revolution akin to what Apple did when they first introduced the iPhone.
Old 06-08-13, 05:55 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

" She also pointed out that the screen does not display the name of the channel on the preset buttons."

As others have pointed this out as well. But if you look just a little bit to the right on the audio screen display, all the data is there. Also, when you change stations, all the data appears at the top of the navigation screen.

"Drive a Ford...Hyundai" I don't think so! I think I will stick with Lexus!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new ES owner, don't like control ergonomics