ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Changing Lane changer flasher from 3 to 5 to 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 03:11 PM
Eagleguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing Lane changer flasher from 3 to 5 to 7

The drivers manual for my new 2013 es350 with the nav package (page 859) says you can go into main menu then select "service" then "vehicle" then "vehicle customization" and change the number of times you can change the turn singal flashing from 3 (factory default) to 5 or 7 flashes when just changing lanes. Turns out being able to change the number of flashes can only be controled by the dealer rather than by the owner even though the book says you can do it. Why would that be a dealer controled option?? Dealer didn't know why the book says you can make change but they were able to hook up their computer and make the required change...perhaps drivers manual is wrong or some Lexus software download was made after I bought the car..can they do that??

Odd thing is when I first bought bought the car and was scrolling through all the menu screens I was able to access the flasher signal change screen and when I went back a few days later to make a change the option to do so was gone.

Any comment or thoughts

Last edited by Eagleguy; 03-12-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 03:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleguy
The drivers manual for my new 2013 es350 with the nav package (page 859) says you can go into main menu then select "service" then "vehicle" then "vehicle customization" and change the number of times you change the turn singal flashing from 3 (factory default) to 5 or 7 when just changing lanes. Turns out being able to change the number of flashes can only be controled by the dealer rather than by the owner even though the book says you can do it. Why would that be a dealer controled option?? Dealer didn't know why the book says you can make change but they were able to hook up their computer and make the required change...perhaps drivers manual is wrong or some Lexus software download was made after I bought the car..can they do that??

Odd thing is when I first bought bought the car and was scrolling through all the menu screens I was able to access the flasher signal change screen and when I went back a few days later to make a change the option to do so was gone.

Any comment or thoughts

There was talk early about this and the 5 or 7 option.
However,it's not listed in the GS owners manual vehicle customization by consumer or dealer service either.
Probably not adjustable but though I'd prefer a 5 count,I'm still happy with the 3 blinks.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-12-13 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 05:24 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am seeking a modification to the "5" flash lane change feature as well as the keyfob controlled window/sunroof retraction. Stopped by the dealership late in the day to request assistance; they confirmed it is a technician function that requires a brief hookup in the shop. Unfortunately they could not accomodate me that day but suggested anytime before noon would be satisfactory without an appointment.

Eagleguy, I too believe the lane change feature was present in the menu shortly after delivery!
Old 03-12-13, 05:56 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly4u
Eagleguy, I too believe the lane change feature was present in the menu shortly after delivery!
Maybe Lexus changed it. I wonder if Lexus has the ability to send out software updates to our cars like cell phones?
Old 03-12-13, 11:43 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Maybe Lexus changed it. I wonder if Lexus has the ability to send out software updates to our cars like cell phones?
If it worked like updating your "eDestination" changes by using the Download button in the car anytime then ya they could do it in theory.

Last edited by unowned; 03-13-13 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 06:07 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought if you had NAV, you can change this. If you have Display Audio, you cannot change, must go to dealer.
Old 03-13-13, 06:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steig
Thought if you had NAV, you can change this. If you have Display Audio, you cannot change, must go to dealer.
Seems you're right about changing the to 5 or 7.Looks like the dealer can do it even with NAV..At least here in the online GS owners manual.Probably the same for the ES.

Page 783

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_08-02.pdf
Old 03-13-13, 09:14 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Seems you're right about changing the to 5 or 7.Looks like the dealer can do it even with NAV..At least here in the online GS owners manual.Probably the same for the ES.

Page 783

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_08-02.pdf
So on page 783, only the dealer can make this change, and not by the owner. It is the same with the ES.
Old 03-14-13, 02:33 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This option is not listed in the ES manual or the customize list that was delivered with the vehicle. It will be interesting to see if it can really be changed.

FWIW, this option can be easily modified by the owner in a LS through the setup menu.
Old 03-14-13, 06:55 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eagleguy
The drivers manual for my new 2013 es350 with the nav package (page 859) says you can go into main menu then select "service" then "vehicle" then "vehicle customization" and change the number of times you can change the turn singal flashing from 3 (factory default) to 5 or 7 flashes when just changing lanes. Turns out being able to change the number of flashes can only be controled by the dealer rather than by the owner even though the book says you can do it. Why would that be a dealer controled option?? Dealer didn't know why the book says you can make change but they were able to hook up their computer and make the required change...perhaps drivers manual is wrong or some Lexus software download was made after I bought the car..can they do that??

Any comment or thoughts
My '13 GS was unable to do it, but my LS and LX is able to do this easily.
Old 04-16-13, 11:35 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had this done during my 5000 mile service. I had it set at 5. It's much better in my opinion. 3 was barely enough.
Old 04-16-13, 11:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
I just had this done during my 5000 mile service. I had it set at 5. It's much better in my opinion. 3 was barely enough.
I'll be doing the same. With it set to 3, I tend to change lanes quicker than I normally would.
Old 04-16-13, 08:46 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350atWOT
Agreed. I changed it to 5 at the 5k service and find it just right.
Old 06-04-13, 08:37 AM
VTSLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing flashers

It is possible to do this from inside your car it doesn't matter if you have navigation or not.the only car you can do it in as of right now is the 2013 GS because you have to use the windshield wiper stock and headlight stock to change it . Email me if you would like to know how tunderwood@brumos.com and I will email you the instructions.
Old 06-04-13, 09:17 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by VTSLEXUS
It is possible to do this from inside your car it doesn't matter if you have navigation or not.the only car you can do it in as of right now is the 2013 GS because you have to use the windshield wiper stock and headlight stock to change it . Email me if you would like to know how tunderwood@brumos.com and I will email you the instructions.
This is confusing. I saw the procedure in the 4GS forum, but wasn't sure it could be applied to our ES's. Your statement claims it is both possible and not possible on the ES.

Quick Reply: Changing Lane changer flasher from 3 to 5 to 7