ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Humming at back of the car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 06:00 AM
ky2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming at back of the car.

I have been following this great forum for a long time. But, this is my first post.

2013 ES350 silver for my wife - bought 3 months ago and drove 600 miles.

I am reporting an issue and hope to get some advices from nice folks here:

About one month ago, I could hear a humming sound at the back of the car (somewhere around backseat or in the trunk). At that time, car was parked in the garage. This sound is similar to having several honey bee in that area and humming at the same time. The sound disappeared by itself after several hours.

Yesterday, it happened again. We parked the car in the garage around 4pm and did not hear this sound at that time. At around 10pm, when I went to garage to get some tools, I heard this humming sound again. This morning, as soon as I woke up, I checked the car and the sound is gone.

I am not sure if there are any other reports of similar issue for 2013 ES350, or maybe this issue is just for my particular car? And this humming sound is not always there, so I am not sure how to repeat it in the repair department. Maybe I need to bring it to delaership and just let service technician take a look …… Please advise.
Old 04-27-13, 06:21 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Are you saying it makes this sound at random periods throughout the day, or just after you exit it? I've had cars in the past where the fuel pump would engage after I turned it off, but not if it was just sitting in my garage for several hours. I've not heard this on my ES, though.

Oh, and welcome!
Old 04-27-13, 07:27 AM
Zmunch
Driver School Candidate

Been a long time since there was any humming in my back seat!!
Old 04-27-13, 07:49 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When on, HID headlamps do make a noticeable hum when the engine is off.

Are you sure it's coming from the car and not something else in the garage located near the back of your car? Like a wasp nest?? Both instances were in the garage, does it happen anywhere else?
Old 04-27-13, 08:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

As I recall, there is something in the owners manual about (humming) noises when the car is shut off and that it is normal. It's the fuel system purging itself periodically.

And as mentioned, the HID's make a humming sound too.
Old 04-27-13, 08:49 AM
redog
Driver School Candidate

If you left the seat cooling switch in the ON position, its motor will continue to run after the engine is turned OFF. This motor is located in the rear area of your ES 350. Hope this helps!
Old 04-27-13, 09:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by redog
If you left the seat cooling switch in the ON position, its motor will continue to run after the engine is turned OFF.
Really?
Old 04-27-13, 09:33 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

If you left the seat cooling switch in the ON position, its motor will continue to run after the engine is turned OFF. This motor is located in the rear area of your ES 350. Hope this helps!
Wouldn't that kill the battery?
Old 04-27-13, 10:06 AM
ky2002
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you for all the advices!

Thank you for all the advices!

To clarify:

I have heard this sound for just two times during my 3 months ownership. First one is about 1 month ago in the afternoon. The other one is last night around 10pm. At both times, I noticed the sound several hours after we parked the car in the garage. So, both times, the sound was coming from the car in the garage.

There might be other times that ES350 was making this sound, but I was able to notice only two times.

I am pretty sure that the sound is coming from my car. My wife cleaned the garage diligently and we do not have much stuff in the garage now (for better or for worse). So, I do not think we have a wasp/bee nest somewhere near the car. At least, I am hoping not

It is hard to repeat this humming sound if I want to show it to the service technician. And my dealership is 45 minutes away. I do not want to spend an afternoon there and could not get any good diaganosis ...... Not sure what to do.....
Old 04-27-13, 11:10 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only had the ES for a couple of weeks, so other than when I park in the garage, shut it off, I have heard a few faint noises.....however....I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee that carries on for a while. I hear noises coming from behind the dash that I'm told are the climate control baffles, fans cooling something off, etc, etc so I'm kind of use to weird nosies going on after shut down. I will say I haven't experienced sounds beyond, say 10 minutes. I will pay attention now. My guess it is probably normal.
Old 04-27-13, 11:31 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

That's very strange. I would ignore it if it occurred, like coach said, within 10 minutes of shutting it off. Coming on randomly like that would worry me. What if you leave it sit for a couple weeks. Will the issue drain the battery? If it was my car, I would really investigate it next time it happens, like crawl underneath it to get a better idea of where it's coming from. You should probably call your dealer, too. Just to give them a heads up of the situation.
Old 04-27-13, 09:43 PM
massalsa
Driver School Candidate

ky2002...is it possible that what you heard is something happening as a result of the keyless entry as you walk past or close to it with your key in your pocket? I have only had my es300h for a couple of days but I too feel like I hear a few abnormal sounds and I, at least for now am thinking that it is hybrid or technology related as I am used to my wife's Honda Odyssey and my 2005 Ford F150 King Ranch that I traded in for it. I will let you know if I hear any other noises of note from my car.
Old 04-28-13, 02:49 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

If you left the seat cooling switch in the ON position, its motor will continue to run after the engine is turned OFF.
You can dispel this rumor, as I checked it out last night for just for fun.
Old 04-28-13, 03:42 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As I recall, there is something in the owners manual about (humming) noises when the car is shut off and that it is normal. It's the fuel system purging itself periodically.

And as mentioned, the HID's make a humming sound too.
+1, It's a fuel evaporation leakage check, have had the sound on other cars but this one runs a little longer than the others.
Old 05-14-13, 06:33 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
+1, It's a fuel evaporation leakage check, have had the sound on other cars but this one runs a little longer than the others.
Good to know. I just had this sound from ours. We were about to leave one morning and was loading up the car when my wife come to me and said there was a funny noise in the garage. I went out to check it out. Sure enough, it was coming from the rear of the car. But it had to have been at least 8 hours since we got home and parked it from the night before. Weird that it would take that long. Maybe it starts only after its been parked over a certain amount of time? I checked the hybrid battery and it was still half charged.

Quick Reply: Humming at back of the car.