ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 Production Coming To U.S.?

Old 04-18-13, 02:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts
Default ES350 Production Coming To U.S.?

I saw this thread over on Car Chat. Just speculation for now but the move has been rumored for some time. ES350 production could be alongside Avalon and Camry in Kentucky.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...19-in-nyc.html
Old 04-18-13, 05:04 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Probably makes good business sense. If it's true, I hope quality doesn't suffer.
Old 04-18-13, 07:14 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read the same. We'll hear tomorrow.
Old 04-19-13, 06:20 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Rumors in this area are that KY has given tax incentives for the Georgetown plant to expand and build the ES.
Old 04-19-13, 07:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

It's official: Link
Old 04-19-13, 07:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

It is official! 750 new jobs, 50,000 new ES, newly expanded section of TMMK in Georgetown.

Originally Posted by Lexus
April 19, 2013
Toyota to Build Lexus ES 350 at Its Georgetown, Kentucky Plant
Investing $360 million and creating 750 new jobs to produce 50,000 vehicles annually starting in 2015

Latest in series of investments totaling $2 billion over last 17 months to expand North American production and create more than 4,000 new jobs

The move will generate 750 new jobs. To support the new dedicated assembly line, Toyota will invest $360 million in the Georgetown plant.

About 50,000 Lexus vehicles a year will be produced, bringing the plant’s total annual production capacity to more than 550,000 vehicles. It will be the first time the ES will be assembled outside of Japan.

“Lexus was founded in the United States, so it is only fitting that we are bringing the production of luxury sedans for our U.S. customers back to where the brand was born,” said Akio Toyoda, president of Toyota Motor Corporation. “Today’s announcement is a major step in our Global Vision to make ever better cars and trucks, give regions greater autonomy to make the products their customers want and achieve sustainable growth globally.”

“Since its arrival here in 1986, the impact Toyota has had on Kentucky has been immeasurable, and the addition of Lexus production only adds to that enduring legacy,” said Governor Steven Beshear of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. “The establishment of production for the Lexus ES 350 will afford Kentucky a tremendous opportunity to expand and strengthen its vast supplier base, creating even more growth potential in the future. Kentucky is proud of the confidence Toyota continues to demonstrate in our vibrant and skilled workforce as they prepare to make a vehicle model that, like them, has earned a reputation for high quality.”

Production of the ES 350 at the Georgetown plant is the latest step in Toyota’s continuing strategy to assemble vehicles in the markets where its customers live. Over the past 17 months, the company has announced plans to increase production capacity at its plants in Mississippi, Indiana, West Virginia and Canada, reflecting a cumulative investment of approximately $2 billion that has created more than 4,000 new jobs. Toyota also recently announced executive changes designed to provide regional managers with more local control and a streamlined decision-making structure to help the company deliver superior customer-focused products and services.

“Today’s Lexus ES announcement further strengthens Toyota’s commitment to serving American consumers, growing American production and investing in American team members,” said Jim Lentz, Toyota’s chief executive officer for North America. “We’re extraordinarily proud to have helped create over 365,000 jobs across the country and to produce so many of the industry’s highest quality vehicles right here in the United States. Today, Toyota’s 14 North American plants already produce seven out of every 10 vehicles that we sell in America, and North American-assembled vehicles are now exported to 23 countries around the world.”

Established in January 1986, TMMK is Toyota’s largest manufacturing facility outside of Japan, employing approximately 6,600 people. The plant currently assembles the Toyota Camry, Camry Hybrid, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid and Venza and manufactures 4-cylinder and V6 engines. It has earned 10 Initial Quality Plant Awards from J.D. Power and Associates, including four gold J.D. Power Awards.

In 2012, the plant produced the 25 millionth Toyota vehicle built in North America. Toyota recently committed to boosting production capacity for the 4-cylinder engine at the plant by more than 100,000 units. This $30 million project will create about 80 new jobs.

“The decision to move ES 350 production to Kentucky is a true tribute to the hard work and commitment to excellence of every single Toyota team member at this plant,” said TMMK President Wil James. “We deeply appreciate the tremendous support we have received from our community, from our local suppliers and business partners, and from Governor Beshear and the Commonwealth of Kentucky. We look forward to strengthening further the productive partnership we have built together over the last 25 years.”

The ES is Lexus’s bestselling sedan, with approximately 58,850 vehicles sold in North America in 2012 -- including 56,158 in the U.S. Projections for Toyota’s production volume at the company’s Kyushu plant in Japan have not changed. The company remains committed to building 3 million vehicles per year in Japan, including Lexus models, as previously announced.

Toyoda and Lentz made the Lexus ES 350 production announcement at a press conference prior to a major New York City event showcasing Lexus’s commitment to groundbreaking design and its redoubled focus on creating a global luxury brand experience.

A live webcast of the press conference, beginning at 9:30 AM ET, can be viewed at https://new.livestream.com/Lexus/pressconference. A recorded version will be available at the same URL following the press conference. More information about the history of Lexus can be found at http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/history+lexus.htm.
Old 04-19-13, 01:18 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
Probably makes good business sense. If it's true, I hope quality doesn't suffer.
I have to say I share your concerns unfortunately, but I'm sure Toyota will get the right engineering and quality oversite in place so that doesn't happen.
Old 04-19-13, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I'm sure this will allow them to produce a better ES, freer from the cost cutting I and others have long complained about, while still holding the line on price. Very smart IMHO.
Old 04-19-13, 01:26 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I'm sure this will allow them to produce a better ES, freer from the cost cutting
I'm sure the UAW will make sure the costs don't go down.
Old 04-19-13, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The workers at Toyota plants are not UAW workers.

Not every auto worker in the US is a UAW worker. They have no control over Toyota's US workers or plants. The issue with cost is one of import tariffs, not production costs.
Old 04-19-13, 01:48 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The workers at Toyota plants are not UAW workers.

Not every auto worker in the US is a UAW worker. They have no control over Toyota's US workers or plants. The issue with cost is one of import tariffs, not production costs.
You mean they don't make $35/hr to put a bolt on? That's encouraging.
Old 04-20-13, 10:14 AM
Spitznagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I have to say I share your concerns unfortunately, but I'm sure Toyota will get the right engineering and quality oversite in place so that doesn't happen.
I hate to admit it, but my initial reaction was concern about quality. However, I love the brand and if the savings allows them to build better cars, I'm good with the move.
Old 04-20-13, 11:00 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Either the quality should get better or the price should be lower.
Old 04-20-13, 11:29 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The quality might change, but the pricing won't go down.

John
Old 04-20-13, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tedster
Lexus regional manager informed me that the impetus for buildling a new plant stems from an increased demand for the new ES 300H and 350 with waiting times for new orders ranging from 3-4 months, especially for orders from the East Coast. New Lexus imports usually come from Los Angeles Port of Entry.
He's full of it. The 300h will still be made in Japan, and demand for the ES is no higher than its ever been, theres plenty of inventory on lots. All the ES's around here come into the port of Newark, it says it right on the sticker.

The reason for the plant (which is not a new plant, they are expanding the plant where they build the Camry and Avalon) is to avoid the import tariffs and reduce transport costs, thats all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES350 Production Coming To U.S.?