ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buyer's remorse - should I have purchased a used 09 LS460 for same price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 11:18 AM
Tuanle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer's remorse - should I have purchased a used 09 LS460 for same price?

Our budget was around $45k. My wife likes getting a brand new car, but I thought it would be better getting a used LS instead. I'm still pretty satisfied with the new ES350 since it's Avalon based with so much room in the back for my kids.

My kids like the ES350, but did say that our 2002 MDX is a bit smoother. I actually agree with them that our MDX is smoother. It's surprising to me that an SUV rides smoother than a sedan.

As far as smoothness goes, both the LS460 and ES350 are about the same to me.
Old 04-11-13, 11:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

I would never spend that much on a used car, but that's just me. Did you not take a long enough test drive to actually see if you liked the ride, or not? I can't compare ride quality to an MDX, never been in one, but it's 100x smoother than an RDX.
Old 04-11-13, 11:28 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Did you look at new Acura's...

If both ride the same, new is better.
Old 04-11-13, 02:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuanle
Our budget was around $45k. My wife likes getting a brand new car, but I thought it would be better getting a used LS instead. I'm still pretty satisfied with the new ES350 since it's Avalon based with so much room in the back for my kids.

My kids like the ES350, but did say that our 2002 MDX is a bit smoother. I actually agree with them that our MDX is smoother. It's surprising to me that an SUV rides smoother than a sedan.

As far as smoothness goes, both the LS460 and ES350 are about the same to me.

Look at it this way; You now have 4 years of worry-free warranty coverage. Bumper to bumper, a new car smell, and the wife and kids like it. Happy wife - happy life. What else is there?
Old 04-11-13, 02:30 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Nothing better than having the peace of mind of having a brand new car IMO. A lot of people lease cars and don't take care of maintenance, or are just rough on them, so you never know what you'd be getting into with a used car.
Old 04-11-13, 10:58 PM
Tuanle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for making feel much better guys regarding the purchase of the ES350. I appreciate that.

I can hear and feel the engine of the ES350 running at idle, but I can't hear or feel the vibration engine of my MDX running. I actually have to look at the tachometer to make sure the engine is on. In fact, in 3 separate occasions, my wife tried to start the MDX's engine not knowing it was idling. Could this noise difference be timing belt vs timing chain?
Old 04-12-13, 05:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tuanle
Thanks for making feel much better guys regarding the purchase of the ES350. I appreciate that.

I can hear and feel the engine of the ES350 running at idle, but I can't hear or feel the vibration engine of my MDX running. I actually have to look at the tachometer to make sure the engine is on. In fact, in 3 separate occasions, my wife tried to start the MDX's engine not knowing it was idling. Could this noise difference be timing belt vs timing chain?
You have a timing belt on the MDX? Mine idles smooth, maybe you need to take your in and have it looked at.
Old 04-12-13, 11:44 AM
Tuanle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
You have a timing belt on the MDX?
Yes, it's 2002 MDX. I believe Acura was still using belts on all cars at the time. I'll take your suggestion and take my ES350 in for a check up.

Is there a quantitative way to measure engine vibration and audio to equate to "smoothness?" I'm getting too old and can't trust my ears

When we're moving, we also have to take road and wind noise into consideration. I can hear higher wind noise of the ES350 on the left side view mirror, compared to the MDX. To be fair, I've been driving the MDX for 11 years and the ES350 for 2 weeks, so my comparison may not be as mature as I'd like it to be.
Old 04-12-13, 12:40 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Gates shows replacement belts for 2011 MDX's.

I think a lot of Acura models still use them.

John
Old 04-12-13, 01:22 PM
Music4ever
Driver

I also find the wind noise quite high on the ES, so it is not your ears...Unless it is mine as well....LOL
Old 04-12-13, 06:05 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a few months and upon comparing the quality build and material of the Lexus, I should have stick to Mercedes, I miss my E500.

The dash board and the black trim of the interior door gets scratch easily and it'l be there permanently. All the plastic trimming in the engine and underneath the car is so thin that it looks like it will melt.

I know the cost of the ES is half the cost of the E-class but you will really feel the luxury quality in it.
Old 04-12-13, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I battled that same decision before each of the two ES's I owned. The LS is unquestionably more car than the ES, its quieter, smoother, more refined, more solid. Until you really spend some time with the LS its not even that apparent how much more car it is. It should be considering its twice as expensive pretty much. I feel the same way about my GS, it has so many little things that you don't even realize the ES lacks until you have one, the LS even moreso obviously.

I however have never bought a used car, and I just have never been able to wrap my head around the idea of it, and that made the ES win out.

A pre owned LS is a great deal, they age like nothing else on the road...but its still a used car. I'd have chosen the ES too, despite all me well documented issues with the interior of the 2013.
Old 04-13-13, 03:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ALIGN
I know the cost of the ES is half the cost of the E-class but you will really feel the luxury quality in it.
As they say, you get what you pay for. The ES is an entry level lux vehicle, so they cut some corners, as expected. All of this should have been transparent during your research and test drive. Pay $10 to $15k more, and you get your higher grade materials in the GS. With Mercedes, you get higher repair costs to go with your higher quality interior.
Old 04-13-13, 04:30 AM
Music4ever
Driver

I disagree certain things do not cost much more and yes the ES is an entry luxury, but if you get a fully loaded ES it isn't that cheap. Hell Lexus didn't even put a sunglasse holder, it is cutting corner and something I have learned after purchasing this Vehicle. Don't get me wrong the fuel economy is great but a lot of cheaping out. Like the rearview mirror you upgrade to GPS now you get no digital compass. That is why their is a thread on what we want corrected in the 2014 ES. Certain things you do not look at when you test drive ( it is about a 15 min test drive) until you buy it and you notice little things like the sunglasse holder.
Old 04-13-13, 04:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Music4ever
Hell Lexus didn't even put a sunglasse holder,
Where would they put it? There's no room above the RV mirror, at least on mine with the panoramic sunroof.

Originally Posted by Music4ever
Certain things you do not look at when you test drive ( it is about a 15 min test drive) until you buy it and you notice little things
Maybe I've just been through this so many times that I take it for granted. But, you should always do your research prior to getting to the dealer. Sites like this are a good start. It isn't like you're buying something disposable. The test drive should be used for proving out what you've read and to make sure it's comfortable. I used my test drive to extensivly test the ML system and make sure it met my needs, which it does. If you would have done that, we would not know you.

Quick Reply: Buyer's remorse - should I have purchased a used 09 LS460 for same price?