ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!

Old 10-22-13, 09:57 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikecars
As of my knowledge the city of Chicago still has an ordinance against the window film law stating that if your vehicle is registered within the City it cant have ANY window film on the front doors. I heard of a rumor that Chicago might get a law passed stating that you can have 35% on front doors but this is not official in any way as of now.

And YES Chicago loves giving tickets out to people with their front doors tinted we see it all the time! So be aware.
Although I'm not planning to drive to or thru Chicago any time soon, I'm wondering if they ticket those that don't live in the city.
Old 10-22-13, 03:39 PM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised that the dealer doesn't do tint as they make a good margin. My dealer wanted $895 for ceramic. I went to outside for a lot less and love having ceramic. Would go with the better tint.
Old 10-22-13, 04:50 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jml33
Surprised that the dealer doesn't do tint as they make a good margin. My dealer wanted $895 for ceramic. I went to outside for a lot less and love having ceramic. Would go with the better tint.
does your dealer do tint in- house? Ours outsources it to a local shop. Ask your service tech about it, and find out the name of the company that does it for them. Call them and see what they charge.
Old 10-22-13, 07:45 PM
ilikecars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Although I'm not planning to drive to or thru Chicago any time soon, I'm wondering if they ticket those that don't live in the city.
The city does but you can just argue the ticket and show your car isn't registered in the city. You will get out of the ticket
Old 10-23-13, 05:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikecars
The city does but you can just argue the ticket and show your car isn't registered in the city. You will get out of the ticket
Sounds like a major hassle. Better to just avoid Chicago, than have to go back to court to prove where you live.
Old 10-23-13, 10:52 AM
ilikecars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Sounds like a major hassle. Better to just avoid Chicago, than have to go back to court to prove where you live.
very much so Mike haha
Old 10-23-13, 08:41 PM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mspearl95
does your dealer do tint in- house? Ours outsources it to a local shop. Ask your service tech about it, and find out the name of the company that does it for them. Call them and see what they charge.
Not sure if I do the quote to reply. The deal does do in house. I went to a local company and got a better product for one third the cost. I also did the sun/moon roof which was a great help on the heat. I can drive without the shade in the AZ heat
Old 10-23-13, 09:19 PM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a good price. Only if the ceramic they are using is Huper Optik, which for the price I can guarantee it isn't. It is most likely a ceramic "like" film.

I paid $360 for Suntek CXP for the whole car and additional $100 for the windshield with Suntek Infinity OP
Old 02-06-14, 10:49 AM
dmanpizza
Driver School Candidate

Default Does Anyone Have Pictures with their Windows Tinted

I just picked up my car this week.
The first thing I would like to do is get the windows tinted.
Does anyone have side view pictures of their ES with tint?
What brand and what percentage is the tint?
Thank you!!

Last edited by dmanpizza; 02-06-14 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 08:54 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't taken pictures, but I did a 35% tint and the car looks like it should. Very happy….not too dark but dark enough to cut & reflex the southern sun and obscure the driver and passengers. I'm sure you will get a bunch of responses and pictures.
Old 02-13-14, 10:52 AM
dmanpizza
Driver School Candidate

2014 ES300h Nebula
35% up front
20% rear windows
Attached Thumbnails The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!-image.jpg  
Old 03-02-14, 05:00 PM
ShogunSTL
Driver School Candidate

I didn't know. There was a difference. I am definitely gonna get some tinting on mine here pretty soon both for look and to keep the leather cooler in these hot summers
Old 06-13-14, 09:10 AM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Visor strip!

I'll be getting my windshield 5% visor strip for free soon, but I'm not sure I'll like the look. Does anybody have pics of with or with out a panoramic roof ? Thanks
Old 06-15-14, 09:46 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After spending weeks obsessing over what tint go with on the new Lexus, I finally decided on 3M Color Stable 35. I researched every tint out there: Llumar CTX, 3M Crystalline, Huper Optik, Suntek, Wincos. Etc. For my budget and what I wanted, I went with 3M CS for the following reasons:

Quality: a trusted name brand with a lifetime guarantee

Color: a TRUE black/smoke with no hint of any green, blue, or purple

Total Solar Energy Rejection: 40% heat rejection. Not the best, but still very good. Llumar CTX is only 4% more. Crystalline was out of the budget.

Clarity: 3M CS is so so so clear. The best I've ever seen. A lot of tint is foggy looking and some even reflect too much in the interior (like Llumar CTX) and reduce visibility. This is a big factor in going with 3M CS. From inside, my windows don't look tinted and I can see traffic easily night and day. If you go look at tint film, pay attention to the amount of reflection on the inside and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I went with 3M CS 35 all around the car and it is perfect. Not too dark and still classy. From the interior, it seems slightly darker than clear glass and visibility at night is still excellent.
The following users liked this post:
matelot (11-01-23)
Old 06-23-14, 08:30 PM
trogdor
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a current photo of your car with tint?

Originally Posted by bruce van
After spending weeks obsessing over what tint go with on the new Lexus, I finally decided on 3M Color Stable 35. I researched every tint out there: Llumar CTX, 3M Crystalline, Huper Optik, Suntek, Wincos. Etc. For my budget and what I wanted, I went with 3M CS for the following reasons:

Quality: a trusted name brand with a lifetime guarantee

Color: a TRUE black/smoke with no hint of any green, blue, or purple

Total Solar Energy Rejection: 40% heat rejection. Not the best, but still very good. Llumar CTX is only 4% more. Crystalline was out of the budget.

Clarity: 3M CS is so so so clear. The best I've ever seen. A lot of tint is foggy looking and some even reflect too much in the interior (like Llumar CTX) and reduce visibility. This is a big factor in going with 3M CS. From inside, my windows don't look tinted and I can see traffic easily night and day. If you go look at tint film, pay attention to the amount of reflection on the inside and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I went with 3M CS 35 all around the car and it is perfect. Not too dark and still classy. From the interior, it seems slightly darker than clear glass and visibility at night is still excellent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!