ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 01:46 PM
Cruisenut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Actually, no, now that I think about it, you're right. What is the antenna on the trunk for? I know the one on the roof is XM.
If you get the tech package the radio antenna can't be on the roof due to two moon roofs.
Old 06-04-13, 01:59 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisenut
If you get the tech package the radio antenna can't be on the roof due to two moon roofs.
I have the panoramic roof and the 2 antennas. The shark fin on the glass, towards the rear, and the square looking antenna on the trunk.
Old 06-05-13, 10:36 AM
DASMan
Rookie

It makes a HUGE difference! I can't tell you how much of a difference it made on my 300h because I got the car tinted right out of the showroom and I have nothing to compare it to. I had the 3M crystalline installed, 90% front, 70% back and 40% on the front and rear side windows

I can tell you that I had the same 40% installed on the front side windows and 90% on the front of my wife's mini-van and BOY what a difference it makes. In the past, I would almost always burn my arm on the little metal / chrome strip that is on the top of the door panel closest to the window after the van had been sitting in the sun for a while. We had a week of heat here in CT and I can tell you that after having the van sit in the sun for quite a while did not have the same effect. I was able to put my arm on the door panel and not scorch the heck out of it.
Old 06-17-13, 12:44 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ceramic window tint is non-metallic and is supposed to provide less signal loss for mobile devices. As far as reducing heat, one type should be no different from the other.

I had my 300h tinted with the regular film and I have not had any issues.
Old 10-21-13, 02:20 PM
brittmayo
Driver

Did you guys tint the rear window as well, or does the electronic shade make that unnecessary?
Old 10-21-13, 02:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by brittmayo
Did you guys tint the rear window as well, or does the electronic shade make that unnecessary?
I have the shade but decided to have the rear window done anyway. IMO the tint is more comprehensive than the shade. Plus, I can see out better and the car is uniform...
Old 10-21-13, 03:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I have the shade but decided to have the rear window done anyway. IMO the tint is more comprehensive than the shade. Plus, I can see out better and the car is uniform...
I did the same, for the same reasons. Plus, for some reason, I didn't use the shade much at all, or completely forgot about it and the tint was always there.
Old 10-21-13, 06:18 PM
brittmayo
Driver

Thanks. For that matter, can the shade be left up while the car is parked, or does it come down automatically?
Old 10-21-13, 06:23 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks. For that matter, can the shade be left up while the car is parked, or does it come down automatically?
it can be left up. the only time it comes down automatically is when you are reversing. I like the tint + the shades, cuz it makes the back windows that much darker.
Old 10-21-13, 09:53 PM
ilikecars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ctrujillo4
Has anyone used ceramic window tint? Is there a noticeable difference in keeping the interior cool? Any other benefits? My local Lexus dealer does not provide but gave me information for a company that did provide Ceramic tint. I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost.

Prices below:

Ceramic Tint: $250
Standard 3M Tint: $185
It really comes down to what your looking to get out of the window film install. Whether is e for styling purposes or to reduce the most heat. If your just going for the styling aspect of window film ceramic window films isn't worth buying even thought the heat rejection is higher than the standard films. If your having your windows done for heat issues then YES ceramic films are the best way to go as the heat rejection is higher ( on average 13% increase ).

I work at a Window Film Shop in the Chicagoland area and we use Llumar films as we find them the best overall window film. Llumar has a lifetime warranty on their films and we warranty our jobs as long as you own the vehicle. If and when you go to get your vehicle worked on be sure to ask exactly what film the company is using. I have seen it many times where companies say they put one thing on a car and put another since the customer doesn't know better.

I always tell the customers I speak with, " With window film YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"
Old 10-21-13, 10:03 PM
ilikecars
Driver School Candidate

You shouldn't rely on strictly the sun shade on the rear windshield for heat rejection because it actually does nothing to keep the heat out. When up it reduces the sunshine coming through and darkens the interior but It creates more of a heat pocket than anything when up. The heat still come through the window but gets trapped in the space between shade and window, with window film whether it be ATC / ATR or CTXi (all products of Llumar) the film reduces the amount of heat rejection at the point of the window and not from the inside of the vehicle.

I hope this makes sense. Any questions feel free to ask.

Joe.
Old 10-21-13, 11:15 PM
brittmayo
Driver

Originally Posted by ilikecars
You shouldn't rely on strictly the sun shade on the rear windshield for heat rejection because it...creates more of a heat pocket than anything when up.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks, Joe.
Old 10-22-13, 05:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikecars
I work at a Window Film Shop in the Chicagoland area
Is Chicago still giving tickets for tinting the front side windows? I know a law was passed allowing it a couple years ago, but Chicago was enforcing "home rule" laws. I'd like to tint, but it's not worth the hassle if Chicago is still enforcing this. Thanks!
Old 10-22-13, 06:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Is Chicago still giving tickets for tinting the front side windows? I know a law was passed allowing it a couple years ago, but Chicago was enforcing "home rule" laws. I'd like to tint, but it's not worth the hassle if Chicago is still enforcing this. Thanks!
I also asked that question before I got our cars tinted a couple of years ago. The two shops I used (one LLumar & one 3M) both said they hadn't heard of any of their customers being stopped in the city. They both said that no one had come back to have it removed.

This is anecdotal and still could happen but it hasn't been in the news lately. After seeing the report on the local NBC station I had second thoughts initially.
Old 10-22-13, 09:10 AM
ilikecars
Driver School Candidate

As of my knowledge the city of Chicago still has an ordinance against the window film law stating that if your vehicle is registered within the City it cant have ANY window film on the front doors. I heard of a rumor that Chicago might get a law passed stating that you can have 35% on front doors but this is not official in any way as of now.

And YES Chicago loves giving tickets out to people with their front doors tinted we see it all the time! So be aware.

Quick Reply: The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!