Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Will the ES300h get Lithium Batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 07:08 AM
Franklin5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the ES300h get Lithium Batteries?

Looking to buy the ES300h in the next year or two, but prefer Lithium batteries in hybrids. Are there any indications Lexus will use them in the 2014 model year? 2015?
Old 04-02-13, 07:44 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/12...-than-lithium/

You probably won't see Lithium Ion in Lexus vehicles in the near future since it looks like Toyota is limiting use to plug-in EVs. Sounds like they are still in development of their next generation battery which uses solid state and Li-Air. 7 more years :P
Old 04-02-13, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Highly unlikely. Not only that but Hyundai, Nissan/Inifniit, Mercedes uses them and their MPG is worse or not better than the Toyota/Lexus system.

Toyota has invested heavily in their current technology so they will use it wisely before jumping to something else.
Old 04-02-13, 09:01 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Highly unlikely. Not only that but Hyundai, Nissan/Inifniit, Mercedes uses them and their MPG is worse or not better than the Toyota/Lexus system.

Toyota has invested heavily in their current technology so they will use it wisely before jumping to something else.
The second gen Ford Fusion Hybrid now uses Li-Ion batteries - and the vehicle arguably achieves worse MPG than the outgoing version that used conventional battery technology. It is now, along with the C-Max, embroiled in a borderline scandal as the EPA ratings of 47/47/47 are all but impossible to achieve. This is the singular reason my choice of new vehicle was a '13 ES300h to replace my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.
Old 04-02-13, 09:31 AM
txes
Lead Lap

They're good enough for the Tesla S.

Impressive performance and range for that type of EV.

John
Old 04-02-13, 12:44 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly4u
The second gen Ford Fusion Hybrid now uses Li-Ion batteries - and the vehicle arguably achieves worse MPG than the outgoing version that used conventional battery technology. It is now, along with the C-Max, embroiled in a borderline scandal as the EPA ratings of 47/47/47 are all but impossible to achieve. This is the singular reason my choice of new vehicle was a '13 ES300h to replace my 2010 Fusion Hybrid.
Similar to the Hyundai mpg debacle. Lithium ion batteries may not be as efficient with the hybrid and why Toyota has not adopted it in their hybrids.
Old 04-03-13, 05:18 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Similar to the Hyundai mpg debacle. Lithium ion batteries may not be as efficient with the hybrid and why Toyota has not adopted it in their hybrids.
Huh? Newer design non-plugin hybrid vehicles made by Toyota that are sold in the U.S. and Canada with Nickel-Metal Hydride battery packs are sold in most of the rest of the world with Lithium Ion batteries. For example, my wife's 2012 Toyota Prius v wagon has a Nickel-Metal Hydride battery pack. The identical looking Prius+ sold in Europe and the U.K. has a Lithium Ion battery pack.
Old 04-03-13, 05:42 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Huh? Newer design non-plugin hybrid vehicles made by Toyota that are sold in the U.S. and Canada with Nickel-Metal Hydride battery packs are sold in most of the rest of the world with Lithium Ion batteries. For example, my wife's 2012 Toyota Prius v wagon has a Nickel-Metal Hydride battery pack. The identical looking Prius+ sold in Europe and the U.K. has a Lithium Ion battery pack.
I looked at the UK Prius Brochure and it states they use a Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/leads/pdfFiles/rc46362.pdf

The Prius Plug-In does however use a Lithium Ion battery.

I also looked at the UK Lexus site and checked the CT, they also use a Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery.
Old 04-03-13, 06:42 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jollick
I looked at the UK Prius Brochure and it states they use a Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/leads/pdfFiles/rc46362.pdf

The Prius Plug-In does however use a Lithium Ion battery.

I also looked at the UK Lexus site and checked the CT, they also use a Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery.
You are looking at the "regular" Prius sedan. I'm talking about the newer design Prius+ van/wagon which in the U.K and Europe has a Lithium Ion battery but (as the Prius v) has a Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery when sold in North America. Toyota is moving away from Nickel-Metal Hydride to Lithium-Ion.

More information about this difference can be found on http://priuschat.com/
Attached Thumbnails Will the ES300h get Lithium Batteries?-european-prius-with-lithium-ion-battery.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 04-03-13 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 08:39 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Interesting because what I've read says Toyota has only 2 models with lithium ion batteries and is moving away from them all together. Do a Google search on lithium ion battery and Toyota.

Old 04-03-13, 10:54 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Consumer Reports tested a 2004 Prius, with over 200,000 miles with the original battery, engine, and transmission. It achieved within a few mpg of its original ratings.
Old 04-04-13, 04:03 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Interesting because what I've read says Toyota has only 2 models with lithium ion batteries and is moving away from them all together. Do a Google search on lithium ion battery and Toyota.

Yes, Li-ion batteries are just a stepping stone to better tech.
Old 04-04-13, 07:21 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Yes, Li-ion batteries are just a stepping stone to better tech.
Yep. Toyota is shooting for lithium air or solid state. As I said previously, they only have lithium ion in their EV and plug-in Prius, not in their hybrids.
Old 04-04-13, 07:46 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

As I said previously, they only have lithium ion in their EV and plug-in Prius, not in their hybrids.
That is true for vehicles Toyota sells in North America but not necessarily for the U.K., Europe and other parts of the world: http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...agon-in-japan/
Old 04-05-13, 06:09 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

That is true for vehicles Toyota sells in North America but not necessarily for the U.K., Europe and other parts of the world: http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...agon-in-japan/
Yes but look at the price difference, the article stated the following. "It is probably that almost $8000 jump in pricing for the third seat and the concominant lithium-ion battery pack that is making Toyota USA hesitate in offering the Prius+ here."

Quick Reply: Will the ES300h get Lithium Batteries?