ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Using flash drive on radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 05:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Using flash drive on radio

Some time ago there was a post where someone transferred their music from an IPOD to a USB flash drive. The flash drive could then be inserted into the car radio and the music played. I couldn't find the original post and can't figure out how to do this. Any help appreciated.

BC
Old 03-27-13, 05:53 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

You need to copy over MP3 files to the drive. There is no way to direct transfer from an iPod to a flash drive. Is your music stored on your computer in MP3 format?
Old 03-27-13, 08:26 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
You need to copy over MP3 files to the drive. There is no way to direct transfer from an iPod to a flash drive. Is your music stored on your computer in MP3 format?
This is quite confusing to me. Here's what I have: An IPOD with about 260 songs on it. I went online to find how to copy the songs over. The instruction was to copy and paste from my Itunes files to a USB flash drive. I have a file entitled "ITUNES" . When I open it I have my 260 songs displayed. I copied and pasted all of them onto the USB, went out to the car and inserted the drive into the port, The USB tab on the radio showed "no music files". I think that I must convert the ITUNE file to MP3 but need instructions to do it. Thanks for the help Mike.
Old 03-27-13, 08:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

If your iPod has protected music on it, you will not be able to transfer them to MP3. Is this music something you bought through iTunes, or copied from a CD?
Old 03-27-13, 09:57 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
If your iPod has protected music on it, you will not be able to transfer them to MP3. Is this music something you bought through iTunes, or copied from a CD?
I went online and found a site with instructions. These were all songs from CD' s that were transferred to Itunes. I tried just copying them from Itunes to USB and it wouldn't work. So, using your advice, I converted them to MP3 format. Voila' I now have all of the music on a USB drive and it works in the Lexus. The only drawback is that one cannot select a from a list on the radio as it shows only one song at a time. You must scroll to find a specific song to select. I can live with this. Thanks for the advice and expert assistance. BC
Old 03-27-13, 10:19 AM
ShakMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at this 3 months ago and can't remember how to create playlists when you have mp3 files all transferred to a USB drive. I agree, that having MP3 on one large USB drive is a great idea but currently they all appear in a linear list.

So if you have a few MP3's, that's might be ok. I little different when your music collection contains several hundred MP3's and you like to create playlists.

I really like the iPOD integration via USB though. I am able to select music via playlists, control selections via steering wheel and be able to view album art.
Old 03-27-13, 10:40 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I went online and found a site with instructions. These were all songs from CD' s that were transferred to Itunes. I tried just copying them from Itunes to USB and it wouldn't work. So, using your advice, I converted them to MP3 format. Voila' I now have all of the music on a USB drive and it works in the Lexus. The only drawback is that one cannot select a from a list on the radio as it shows only one song at a time. You must scroll to find a specific song to select. I can live with this. Thanks for the advice and expert assistance. BC
Can you show the link with the instructions? I need to do some conversions to MP3 and flash drive too.
Old 03-27-13, 11:00 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShakMan
I looked at this 3 months ago and can't remember how to create playlists when you have mp3 files all transferred to a USB drive. I agree, that having MP3 on one large USB drive is a great idea but currently they all appear in a linear list.

So if you have a few MP3's, that's might be ok. I little different when your music collection contains several hundred MP3's and you like to create playlists.

I really like the iPOD integration via USB though. I am able to select music via playlists, control selections via steering wheel and be able to view album art.
Why not build folder lists for your mp3s on the flash disk?
Old 03-27-13, 11:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arty101
Can you show the link with the instructions? I need to do some conversions to MP3 and flash drive too.
Try this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

If this doesn't connect do a Google search: "how do I convert to MP3 with Itunes 10"
no quotation marks... Worked perfectly for me. You will see 2 of every song you are converting. One of which will be the new MP3 version. Had me confused at first but everything worked fine. After all your songs are converted to MP3 just do a copy - select all or control A - copy and paste the songs onto your flash drive which you should have open.

Last edited by bc6152; 03-27-13 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add text
Old 03-27-13, 11:10 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unowned
Why not build folder lists for your mp3s on the flash disk?
Not sure what you mean regarding "folder lists". If you could explain how this would play out in the car - and how to do it - it would be appreciated by many. Thanks...
Old 03-27-13, 11:36 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks bc. We'll have to try that tonight. However, I'm not sure if my iTunes is version 10 or newer and may not have that feature. If not, I'll Google for the current iTunes version conversion.
Old 03-28-13, 02:16 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Not sure what you mean regarding "folder lists". If you could explain how this would play out in the car - and how to do it - it would be appreciated by many. Thanks...
instead of dumping all your MP3s into the root of the flash disk you can put them in a single level folder to basically categorize your mp3s. the player will only play one folder's worth of Mp3s at a time and you can traverse folders.
Old 03-28-13, 07:27 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you could also rename the files to create a ordered playlist.

ie Holiday.mp3 = 1Holiday.mp3, or A_Holiday.mp3

the folder could be called Madonna or 1_Madonna..

-I have not tried this on my es, but its worked on several 'generic' mp3 players.
Old 03-28-13, 08:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by unowned
instead of dumping all your MP3s into the root of the flash disk you can put them in a single level folder to basically categorize your mp3s. the player will only play one folder's worth of Mp3s at a time and you can traverse folders.
Well I'm not sure how to do this but I'll give it a shot. Thanks Unowned and Mr.Bill.
Old 03-28-13, 11:09 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Well I'm not sure how to do this but I'll give it a shot. Thanks Unowned and Mr.Bill.
just create a bunch of "new folder"s on the flash disk using your pc or mac, and move all the songs into their appropriate folder category. Categories could be genre or alphabet letter or named anything you want

Quick Reply: Using flash drive on radio